No more 440's??...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodguy105

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So with the help of of some recent 361 vs. 440 debate threads,I decided to go with the 440.

However, the 441 @ 14.5 lbs. is on the Sthil web site but no 440. So they have already discontinued it except for remaining dealer inventory?

Now the question every one is tired of...I'm considering the 372 (70 cc) or go maybe just going back to "a sure thing" ..the 361 @(59 cc).
Although I'm finding it hard to get my hands around the notion that a 59 cc and a 70 cc saw can be compared?? (Not trying to hash up the debate just talking numbers). My only reference is my 290 @ 56.5cc..which if it wasn't in pieces waiting for a new p/C would still be the one saw....am I catching that CAD thing?

Anyway, what about the the 390? Is it a pain to work on as it's not a pro saw? I'm not logging but end up bucking/felling some pretty fat old oaks on my property(much of 15 -20+ inches diameter) & most of the free wood I get from friends is mature, pretty beefy hard wood ( i love free wood!).

I'm sending out this thread and then have to sign off ..so I'll check on REPS Sunday.

Thanks for your opinions in advance.

372 or 460

While the 361 would do the trick for you with mostly under 20" wood, I'd consider a 372. The extra beef will be appreciated, and the 372 is a really comfortable saw to use.

If you lean towards Stihl, look at the 460. It is fairly close to the 440 size wise (maybe a tad heavier than a 372 or 440), but is a bit more powerful than the other two. Around here, most folks prefer the 460 over the 441.

Both the 460 and 372 are among the best saws produced in their class. I personally find the 372 to be more comfortable to cut with all day.

If you don't forsee needing to cut bigger wood ever, then the 361 is a great saw, would use less gas, and would be much lighter to lug around. I have never used the 390, so cannot comment on it other than it does not have the same build quality as the other saws mentioned here.

I have or have used all of these saws (372, 440, 441, 460, and 361), and they are all first rate.

People seem to like the 440 more than the others, but they have been discontinued. There may be a few left NOS in some out-of-the-way dealerships. Not sure how one would go about finding one. Be careful of new Stihls on eSlay, they may be stolen....it's better if they come with a case and manual.

Call every dealer around and try and get the 440. If they're all gone then skip over 441 and get a 460. (as I understand it the 460's days are also numbered).

Here's another option. Check our your local Home Crapo Rental Center and see if they have any Makita DCS6401's. When they do they sell them for as low as $184.50. Throw on a 7900 jug for $200. You'll have a $400 saw that will take out everything except the 660/395 at the weight of a 440.

People seem to like the 440 more than the others, but they have been discontinued. There may be a few left NOS in some out-of-the-way dealerships. Not sure how one would go about finding one. Be careful of new Stihls on eSlay, they may be stolen....it's better if they come with a case and manual.

If you suspect its stolen ask for a serial number so you can cross reference it with Stihl.

I just bought my new 440 last weekend. I called every dealer in a 50 mile radius and found 2 new ones left. I went with the best priced and never looked back. Ask each place you call what they get for the 441 and 460. I found a dealer selling the 441 with a 20" bar for $699.99. Not a bad price at all. The cheapest 460 was $850.00. For the $150.00 difference, I'd lean towards the 441 unless you need the bigger saw.

The 441 is a great saw.. the AS crowd doesn't generally like saws that can't easily be modded, and the 441 is one of those. Try one at a dealer.. you'll love it.

The 361 is a real nice saw.. the reasoning behind choising that is posted above!

390? pass... I'd buy a 361 over the 390 anyday, even if it runs $100 more.

Last edited:
I have a 460, great flippin saw, esp. with the DP muff cover, an 044 DP, an 038 Mag 2, and a 440. All great saws, but the 044 is the most fun to use, for some reason, though the 460 CLAFBOH with a sharp chain. The 038 is heavy, but the compresion is like the new 460. I don't see any reason to own any saw but Stihl. 441? I think I have the 70-80 cc niche covered jest fine, thengyooberrymutz...............

Something about the sound and feel of an 044............it is a magical saw.

Fixing the 290?

Just a thought, but if you are fixing the 290 why not go for the 70cc type saw? I bought the 361 as the first saw, at the time I thought it would be the only(real) saw, that did not work out so well! After having a few more I am firmly convinced that the 50cc 70cc combo will do almost anything.
Are you concerned about weight at all? The 372 is only 4 or 5 ounces heavier than your 290 and way more saw. WACutters post summed it up pretty well I think.
The 372 is a very sound saw, I use it in up to 36" softwood and have been very pleased with its performance. It outcuts the 361(no slouch) fairly handily with a noticeable difference in torque. The people who know say the 441 and 460 both have more torque than the 372 but are both slightly heavier.
The 361 is kind of a tweener, It is a spectacular only saw but you have make a spot to use it. I do all the time because I love running it so much. With a muffler mod it pulls a 20" b&c through anything well though not like the 372.
Good luck and try to go with the bigger saw if you can, you won't regret it

440's....

Wow...9 REPS & no Stihl vs. Husky hot air!

Thanks for your opinions. All great points. If I can't find a 440 around here (North Eastern Ct) I'll probably go for a 441 a bit heavier than I'd like but what the heck, hopefully a sale coming up. Going up to a 460 may be more $ and saw than I need to get into.

Tweeking the Makita sounds like a great Idea ($$$) but I'm just now working on my first saw (the 290) so i'm hoping to get a good strong stock saw that'll be easy to maintain and keep running well. Maybe do a mod sometime down the line.

:cheers:

Wow...9 REPS & no Stihl vs. Husky hot air!

Thanks for your opinions. All great points. If I can't find a 440 around here (North Eastern Ct) I'll probably go for a 441 a bit heavier than I'd like but what the heck, hopefully a sale coming up. Going up to a 460 may be more $ and saw than I need to get into.

Tweeking the Makita sounds like a great Idea ($$$) but I'm just now working on my first saw (the 290) so i'm hoping to get a good strong stock saw that'll be easy to maintain and keep running well. Maybe do a mod sometime down the line.

:cheers:

You're wrong, you want a 460, trust me. This way if you want to run a 28" bar down the road when the 290 is running you will have no problems at all.

If you dont want to spend the coin on a 460, get a 372 instead of the 441. The 372 is a legend and possibly the best all around saw ever, the 441 is a strato POS and those who have bought them seem to either love them or hate them, with no in between.

I picked up my 440 about a year ago with no bar for $600. I have only run 2 tanks through it since so its still practically brandy new....kinda hard to pic witch saw to use sometimes when you have so many lol. I actually picked up a fairly new 372XP that was in peaces. I actually like the 372 a little more than the 440 lol

Go by horse power, not cc Depends on engine design as to horse power out put. 390 64.1cc 4.3 hp 361 59cc 4.4 hp

If you dont want to spend the coin on a 460, get a 372 instead of the 441. The 372 is a legend and possibly the best all around saw ever, the 441 is a strato POS and those who have bought them seem to either love them or hate them, with no in between.

:rolleyes:

I don't consider a saw with a powerband like the 372 has to be the best at anything. I can't imagine using one with a long bar. Most people seem to agree that it's good for a 20" bar in hardwood and not much more.

Have you ran a run-in 441 against a stock 372? You'd be surprised.

I don't consider a saw with a powerband like the 372 has to be the best at anything. I can't imagine using one with a long bar. Most people seem to agree that it's good for a 20" bar in hardwood and not much more.

Hmm....

I run a 28" on my 372xp all day long. I find it hard to believe that the 372 wouldn't cut well through ANY wood with a 24" bar and sharp skip chain. Plus, I think that this size saw balances best with a 24-28" bar.

The 441 does have a bit more torque than the 372xp, but not more than a the 372xpw. And, the 441 is significantly chunkier. On the plus side 441 is really smooth, sips gas, and would be a nice bucking saw. I would handle both, and try both out if possible. Saw fit is highly subjective.

If you're walking with your saw, IMO the 372 is much nicer to be with all day. The performance difference between the 372's and a 441 is minor to nothing, to say the least. If your cutting in the backyard or small woodlot, the 441 might fit the bill.:givebeer:

Spend an hour or so to open up the muffler on the 372 and it is a completely different saw, loads more torque and all but impossible to stop with a 20" b&c. Mods may be a consideration here as well. Do you plan on modding at all or wan't to run stock? Straight stock the 441 may be the way to go if weight and nimbleness/handling are a marginal concern.

Latest posts

Back