No more MR. Nice guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be lucky. My BIL doesn't borrow anything from me. He has more tools than I ever will and is the person I go to if I need something fixed that I don't know how to.
My FIL isn't handy at all but knows it. If he needs something done around the house he will call me to come over and do it for him. This relationship works out though. If I don't have the tool required to do it he will buy the tool and i get to keep it. :clap::clap:

Example 1: FIL hit a rock in his yard the kids next door must have thrown over and bent his blade on his riding mower. Calls me over to fix it. It needs a 15/16 wrench and I didn't bring an adjustable wrench with me so off to sears we go. I point out the adjustable end wrench that will work and he says naw thats not what we need. Next we are walking out of the store with a 266 piece mechanics toolset that comes with its own box to carry everything in. We get back and I replace the blades and go to leave and tells me I forgot my tool box. He said he got the one with the box so it won't be hard for me to bring them over next time something breaks.

Doing things for him also go me a 5 PC dewalt 18v tool set.(once again with a travel box) and many other tools.

WELL Done!
You got a gem there.
-br

I must be lucky. My BIL doesn't borrow anything from me. He has more tools than I ever will and is the person I go to if I need something fixed that I don't know how to.
My FIL isn't handy at all but knows it. If he needs something done around the house he will call me to come over and do it for him. This relationship works out though. If I don't have the tool required to do it he will buy the tool and i get to keep it. :clap::clap:

Example 1: FIL hit a rock in his yard the kids next door must have thrown over and bent his blade on his riding mower. Calls me over to fix it. It needs a 15/16 wrench and I didn't bring an adjustable wrench with me so off to sears we go. I point out the adjustable end wrench that will work and he says naw thats not what we need. Next we are walking out of the store with a 266 piece mechanics toolset that comes with its own box to carry everything in. We get back and I replace the blades and go to leave and tells me I forgot my tool box. He said he got the one with the box so it won't be hard for me to bring them over next time something breaks.

Doing things for him also go me a 5 PC dewalt 18v tool set.(once again with a travel box) and many other tools.

do you have any single sisters in law? i have a large workbench that needs stocking!

I hate people like that. They can afford a high dollar RV and a ranch to take it to but can't afford a $100.00 chainsaw and want to borrow one and then tear it up and complain about it. Deserves what he got I say........

I'm just picky about who gets to use my saws - generally they get me as well to do the job. The exception is a mate who is a tree surgeon in London who gives me all the wood he cuts. He even got to use my new 880 before I did (low risk offer, it was 4 days old, if it blew up, it would go straight back to Stihl). The gear comes back cleaner than it went out and with a sharp chain, so I'm happy.

BiLs? Nice guys, both of them, but small saws only. I'd be pretty worried about them with anything bigger than an 009, to be fair, they'd be pretty worried about it too...

WELL Done!
You got a gem there.
-br

I forgot to mention that my wife is also a nurse. We are High School sweet hearts and she has stuck by me during the times where I had to leave for a while. Not many women are up to doing that.

I'll loan a saw, in fact I have one loaned out right now. When I hand it off I make it very clear that the saw is worth $xxx.xx. That way if there is ever a problem there is no confusion on what I am owed or entitled to. I also give a bottle of mix or oil and go over all the operating requirements. Some say this can be condesending, but I want there to be no question that I didn't answer.

Last year on the 4th my brother-in-law calls me up and asks to use a saw to take with him on their annual 4th of July camp out bash. Him and a bunch of his rich friends "camp out" in their 20 grand RV's at his 40 acre get away property. My BIL is a rich know it all SOB who looks down at people who have grease under their finger nails.
Last year I let him use one of my good saws. It was a 026 that I had rebuilt and was going to Ebay. Well, When I finally got it back it was in bad shape the chain was off it looked like he used it for a trencher. The clutch cover was full of bar oil and dirt and chewed up leaves. He called it a piece of #### and he just about didn't get enough wood cut for the night before the "blade", as he called it was dull.

Well he called again this year wanting to use another saw. I honestly don't know how many saws I own, I have a few. Me being the nice guy that I am dig an old beater Poulan S250 that was on it's last leg out of the pile and start getting it ready for him. I took the kill switch off and ground the little tab off the OFF-ON cover and turned the switch around so when it says ON, it's really OFF. When he came to get it he called and ask for me to meet him out out the highway, I live on a gravel road, he didn't want to get his camper or truck dirty picking it up. I said sure, no problem. When I met with him I told him I would show him how to start it. I knew what he would say, and he did, that is he knew how to start a saw, I just smiled and said of course, but I fired it up anyway to show him that it does run, knowing that he would not see the switch was in the OFF, but really ON position.

I did spend 5 minutes with a file dulling the chain just in case the SOB figures the switch out.
'
Happy 4th BIL I hope it doesn't get to chilly tonight.

PS Since your such a swell guy, you can keep the saw so you'll always have one. I know someone who can probably fix it for you if you have any problems:greenchainsaw::monkey:

This year his response will be, "best damn saw i've ever used". Then you will notice the neatly split and seasoned wood in the back of his truck. Pay no attention to the staples in the neatly split and seasoned wood. Guys like that don't cut firewood, they buy it. And any chainsaw involved is simply a photo-op or bedtime story.

I do have a sister in law but you don't want anything to do with her. Neither does me or my wife. She pretty much sucks at life!!

thanks for the heads up. sounds like you are a blessed man with a wife and a FIL as youve decribed. i hope MIL's cooking is of the same caliber.

good job thats better than saying no:clap::clap::clap:

Has he returned it please post when he dose that should be good

i'll lend maybe 7 people my saws.

as much as i dislike Stihl most of the time,a lot of Stihl owners i know take good care of their saws.

one guy i work with most of the time and one of my best friends.i know if by some freak accident it got damaged i would get a new one no questions asked and no excuses.

my step brother,same scenario.

another guy i do not know well but the second time ever saw him,he told me to take his 084 when i had a job near his business.saved me from going home and getting a bigger saw.he can borrow any damn saw of mine anytime.

oldirty because he's a great guy.

TreeMDS because he taught me a lot and he takes care of his stuff.another great guy.

Swamp Yankee,another great guy.i don't have to worry though,he doesn't like Husky much.

third is Stihl-o-matic because he is a great all around guy and i know how he treats his stuff.

most folks i judge by their own stuff.if the stuff the bought with THEIR money looks like crap ,imagine how they would treat something they didn't buy themselves.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back