non toxic wood sealer??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlboy

Guess who's back
Reaction score
hi guys i was just wondering what i should use to seal a cutting board i made for my mom for christmas. thanks for any and all help

cutting board sealer / finish

Go to your local woodcraft store and buy walnut oil it covers and dries well approved for use in food containers.

This product is not a stain or a finish per say its just the natral oil from walnuts. Check it out online woodcraft.com

Mark

Go to your local woodcraft store and buy walnut oil it covers and dries well approved for use in food containers.

This product is not a stain or a finish per say its just the natral oil from walnuts. Check it out online woodcraft.com

Mark

thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!! you rock all of you guys

Try food grade mineral oil (USP)- same stuff used in commercial food prep places. Usually found at grocery or hardware store. Cost about 4-6 bucks for 10-12 oz bottle. Cheaper than ww supply houses. Other vegetable oils tend to get rancid with age. Heating the mineral oil bottle in a pot of hot water, will improve its penetration into the cutting board. hth.

Mineral oil is what I have used.
I have also heard of some veg oils will go rancid. I would especially stay away from peanut oil just because of the kids that are allergic to peanuts.

+1 on the mineral oil. The cheapest places I've found to get it around here are actually drug stores. They usually keep it with the other topical liquids like witch hazel, rubbing alcohol, peroxide, etc. A couple other food-grade oils that are OK are almond oil and orange oil. I also remember reading something in a woodworking magazine about melting some beeswax into the oil when it's heated, supposedly resulting in a tougher and more lustrous finish. I haven't tried it out though.

I advise my customers that they can use ANY kitchen oil on their cutting boards I make for them. Any edible oil will soak into the wood and keep it from that dry dull look. Some soak in better, some evaporate quicker after you wipe off... but I found you have to be a lot less picky than I've been told. I get walnut or safflower oil from the grocery store to initially coat the boards I make and sell... a little pricey but one quart will literally finish several hundred of my boards, so we are talking pennies per here. Yes... yes some kitchen oils will start to turn rancid like butter does IF left in DIRECT strong hot sunlight all day. How often does that happen in your kitchen?? I've actually experimented with many kitchen oils, even plain old vegetable oil, and I had to try very hard to get it to even start to smell rancid. Thus I'm calling that one not an urban myth, but one that if you use the board, is not worth worrying about.

thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!! you rock all of you guys

Actually, :yourock: A gift someone took the time to make is always the best in my book. I don't know if you're married yet but stuff like that'll earn you points-makes it easier to get the kitchen pass to feed the CAD ;) if you know what I mean:greenchainsaw:
You got any pics?

Back