Nor Cal GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMAG1313_zps95139bb1.jpg

Roberte running my Husqvarna 288XP in some Doug Fir. This saw has since made the trek north to RandyMac.

DSC00027_zps23b958e6.jpg

Nate (Madhatte).

DSC00010_zps2d381286.jpg

Festivities just starting on Saturday morning.

CAM00704_zps1dbd9570.jpg

Some of the saws lined up.

DSC00016_zps6a45465b.jpg

A shot of the saws from the other side of the log as Bill (2Dogs) gave a chainsaw safety briefing for some of our park volunteers.

DSC00014_zps224f566f.jpg

DSC00013_zpsb0e1361c.jpg

Bill giving his briefing. Sorry Bill, I didn't mean to catch you mid-cough...

DSC00018_zps829604d9.jpg

DSC00023_zps2c4c4ae8.jpg

DSC00021_zpscdd77954.jpg

Some shots of the wood part way through the day, shortly before we transitioned from 'cookies' to firewood lengths.

DSC00015_zps6dd1d871.jpg

The world famous Barbie saw at rest.

CAM00717_zps89670ea5.jpg

CAM00715_zps538417b3.jpg

CAM00714_zpse92bea88.jpg

CAM00713_zpsb1c6566a.jpg

CAM00712_zps84b7aa10.jpg

Some exhibits put up by the antique engine guys. The saw is a Wright reciprocating blade saw.

DSC00024_zpse93b39c7.jpg

Some LOUD old magnesium in the back of Ckelp's pickup.

CAM00711_zpsb53f5490.jpg

Another shot of Bill giving his briefing in front of some of the saws.

CAM00725_zps0d14deec.jpg

CAM00726_zpsfa18bded.jpg

Nate cutting some firewood rounds with my Poulan 4900. Stihl tuning screwdriver held in his teeth like a cigar.

DSC00026_zps3860a1f2.jpg

CAM00739_zps2db631b5.jpg

CAM00738_zpsebac1b14.jpg

Some 'after the work' shots of the wood. This'll bring some more much needed $$$ to our program through firewood sales. All this wood was already down from windfalls long before the GTG. Bob95065 is visible in the background splitting some wood with a maul. Ckelp, Robert, and Nate in the last shot, just finished cutting.

Last edited:
Windthrown! Haven't seen you here in ages. Hope you don't mind that I have the Hank Stamper pic in my profile (or rather..........HAD it in on my profile page before the board was redone).

Would have loved to have had you down for the GTG. Plan for the first weekend of November next year. May have something going in the springtime too.

Thanks for putting it on. The Used Dog and I arrived home yesterday afternoon. It was good to have nice weather there. The usual November weather began just north of Gold Beach, OR and stayed wet all the way home.

I pulled another tick out of The Used Dog yesterday. That makes 3 so far.

Sunday afternoon I found the source of my power problem in my truck. The ground on the frame was corroded. I cleaned it up and everything works. I had to drop the spare to get to it and discovered that my exhaust has a big hole in it. The underside of the bed is black with soot. I never noticed it because if the straight exhaust. I now have a project for this weekend.

I found that I had bought a set of keys and the inner race for the clutch on my Homelite 909D. We moved in August and I had them in a place I hadn't checked before I left last Friday. I am tracking down parts for the 900G as I type. Next year I'll have both of those saws running. I have my wife convinced that she should go next year which means I'll get to run my saws instead of wrenching on saws and watching. I am already looking forward to it.

Since we came home Robby spent his waking hours reenacting chainsaw repair and cutting firewood. He has his little brother (3 YO) stacking "firewood" (bark and scraps from the firewood stcks) after he cuts it with his pretend chainsaw. He has also added splitting wood with a pretend maul to his repertoire. The GTG made an impression on him.

I want to say that the way the folks at Boothe-Napa SP treated us was outstanding. The tri-tip BBQ, outstanding condition of the camping facilities and grounds and the appreciative and open attitude of the staff really makes me look forward to coming back. Sandy and her team know how to make a group feel welcome. I am not sure if any of them are part of this forum. If they do I hope they know that their hospitality was appreciated and they really went over the top in the way they treated us. The next time anyone talks with her please say thank you again for me.

It was great meeting everyone and I look forward to seeing you soon. In some ways I feel like an outsider not being in the forestry industry but you all made Robby and me feel welcome. I enjoyed hearing stories of life in the Pacific NW and what it is like working in the forestry industry. I have a love of history and enjoyed learning about this walk of life. Growing up in Illinois I really didn’t give much thought to where the lumber I used as a contractor came from. I have a heightened appreciation for the level of effort that is put into harvesting and processing logs for construction materials. I also located some of the books Pac City brought and have them on the way so I can learn more.

Thanks again,

Bob and Robby

It looks like it was another great GTG. I'm sorry I couldn't be there.

My official reason for skipping this one is that I tried to fly a wooden step ladder but I crashed on take-off. See you folks next year.

Sunday afternoon I found the source of my power problem in my truck. The ground on the frame was corroded. I cleaned it up and everything works. I had to drop the spare to get to it and discovered that my exhaust has a big hole in it. The underside of the bed is black with soot. I never noticed it because if the straight exhaust. I now have a project for this weekend.

I found that I had bought a set of keys and the inner race for the clutch on my Homelite 909D. We moved in August and I had them in a place I hadn't checked before I left last Friday. I am tracking down parts for the 900G as I type. Next year I'll have both of those saws running. I have my wife convinced that she should go next year which means I'll get to run my saws instead of wrenching on saws and watching. I am already looking forward to it.

Since we came home Robby spent his waking hours reenacting chainsaw repair and cutting firewood. He has his little brother (3 YO) stacking "firewood" (bark and scraps from the firewood stcks) after he cuts it with his pretend chainsaw. He has also added splitting wood with a pretend maul to his repertoire. The GTG made an impression on him.

I want to say that the way the folks at Boothe-Napa SP treated us was outstanding. The tri-tip BBQ, outstanding condition of the camping facilities and grounds and the appreciative and open attitude of the staff really makes me look forward to coming back. Sandy and her team know how to make a group feel welcome. I am not sure if any of them are part of this forum. If they do I hope they know that their hospitality was appreciated and they really went over the top in the way they treated us. The next time anyone talks with her please say thank you again for me.

It was great meeting everyone and I look forward to seeing you soon. In some ways I feel like an outsider not being in the forestry industry but you all made Robby and me feel welcome. I enjoyed hearing stories of life in the Pacific NW and what it is like working in the forestry industry. I have a love of history and enjoyed learning about this walk of life. Growing up in Illinois I really didn’t give much thought to where the lumber I used as a contractor came from. I have a heightened appreciation for the level of effort that is put into harvesting and processing logs for construction materials. I also located some of the books Pac City brought and have them on the way so I can learn more.

Thanks again,

Bob and Robby
nice meeting you and your little man. was talking to aarron about your truck and that was what i was thinking that you had a poor ground. glad ya got it repaired.

My official reason for skipping this one is that I tried to fly a wooden step ladder but I crashed on take-off. See you folks next year.
yup we are working on a piece of equipment for you. maybe we will have it ready for the next meeting.

hope your healing up mr. almost turned east fri nite off of I-5. will see ya soon enough.

Any time you want to do that, just let me know. The way it's looking I won't be going too far from the house for awhile.

And as far as whatever it is you maniacs are constructing for me? I can hardly wait. Or then again...

Please convert your wooden stepladder into firewood, soonest! Years ago, a fellow Aircraft Electrician suddenly became a late coworker when the extension ladder propped against his house collapsed without warning.

I was released from jury duty just before C.O.B. on Monday afternoon. I missed the GTG because when I got out of bed on Friday morning, my 73 y.o. body felt like crap. My get up and go done got up and went.

Last edited:
Windthrown! Haven't seen you here in ages. Hope you don't mind that I have the Hank Stamper pic in my profile (or rather..........HAD it in on my profile page before the board was redone).

Would have loved to have had you down for the GTG. Plan for the first weekend of November next year. May have something going in the springtime too.

No worries about the Paul Newman photo. It was lifted from someplace else (so long ago now I forget where I got it). That photo was taken near Mapleton, OR near where I used to live with my ex.

PasoJim: U.S. Army Combat Developments Experimentation Center, Ft Hunter Liggett, CA

Is that what they turned Hunter Liggett into now? Last I was there, it was abandoned. I took an off-road group down to Big Sur one year, and we made our way over the mountains to Hunter Liggett. to my surprise and delight, and it was empty. The kiosks were tipped over and there was no one there. We off-roaded all over there in the fall, and never saw anyone. We used to also go there on the old Indians Road on our dirt bikes from Arroyo Seco in the 1970s. That is all closed off now on the Arroyo Seco side now though, with a campground and fee park.

Funny story: when I worked at General Dynamics in San Diego as an engineer, I passed a guy's cube one day and saw that he had a 3-dimentional stick figure mapping array on a monitor, and it looked like Arroyo Seco. I asked the guy working there if that was what it was, and he said yes. He showed me what he was doing, and we plotted a route using a light pen up into Hunter Liggett along the Arroyo Seco River for fun. I did not think anything of it until I passed that cube the next day and everything was gone! I found out that it was moved into a 'black' lab, a secure lab requiring higher security than I had. Evidently the guys manager had noticed my noticing the mapping scheme, and if someone passing by in the hall could recognize real features from a stick figure targeting system, it needed to be secured. That was a group developing programming tools for the Tomahawk cruise missile on battleships (early 1990s).

Hunter Leggett is a repair/storage area for a lot of military equipment. Thousands of pieces of equipment. Lots of activity.
The road between Big Sur and 101 is a lot of fun. I drove it quite a few times in the 60's.
There used to be a camp called Southern Monterey Sportsman Camp that was on/near the west side of the base. A friend was a member and went there in the 60's.

Back