Norfolk Island Pine Tree's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JETQC

Reaction score
To Whom it may concern;

I have many questions on what, if any, damage can be done by planting Pine
tree's in my residential Yard. Would it be possible for someone to respond
with info on Norfolk Island Pine tree's. What Problems can be experienced and
what benefits!
Thanks in advance for any info you might have and thank you for a prompt
response.

Thank You. Randy

Norfolk Island Pines are attractive, low maintenence trees but they can freeze easily. I live in central florida and they don't do great here. They are prevalent south of here. Since you didn't give your location/climate, I would recommend not planting them unless you are in a tropical climate zone. Even a mild freeze can kill them.

Norfolk Island Pines

Randy,

Be careful planting and I would not recommend doing so on a small piece of landscape. The cute little “Christmas tree” will turn into the size of a five story building in a short period of time. Here in Hollywood Florida there are quite a few of them on small properties and look out of place. I believe that the tree was bought without the knowledge on how big they get.
After the last hurricane a lot had damage many where most of the limbs had been pulled off and some of the tops blew away causing damage to structures, vehicles, etc. The limbs are starting to grow back but they are only a couple of feet at the most. I’m not sure if they will ever return to their original length. They no longer have that “Christmas tree” look instead they look like something from another planet. :laugh:

Norfolks

Like cosmicsquid sez; the Norfolk Pine down here is nothing more than a lightning rod. If you're on five acres or so I would put it in the corner. Our decent storms always hit above fifty degrees F so the sap is up and should aid with elasticity however they seem to snap, crackle and pop into dining rooms , kitchens, etc.
We've taken down one hundred feet plus Norfolks and us with no dormant season to speak of, those trees weren't all that old.You'll mostly find the Norfolk in Palm Beach countys' more depressed areas. They can't afford to remove them. Those kittens grew up into CATS !

Back