Nother woodsplitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toxic2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After years of borrowing a splitter each season i have decided to build one. I burn around 6 or so cords a year between the shop and house..My question is i want a fairly fast splitter. I will be using a 4 inch ram but in order to acheive the speed of the video i attached i am not sure if i should use a 16 or 22 gpm pump..Also if you guys have any tips and advise i would appreciate it. I want to avoid the "wish i had of done this different" mistakes..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The video of the speed i want to acheive..

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

How long is the ram going to be? As in what is the length of the closed cylinder? You need to know volume before anything... Simply multiply pi (3.14) times the radius of the cylinder squared. Then times the length. Once you know volume and besides what donor engine you are using we can figure out what size pump you need.

A typical cycle on a log splitter is at least 15 seconds (comparing the same type of splinter you have) so 7 second complete cycle more than sufficient. Good luck!

splitter

my tw6 is 8 sec and you and 2 people will be verry busy just try it good luck

After years of borrowing a splitter each season i have decided to build one. I burn around 6 or so cords a year between the shop and house..My question is i want a fairly fast splitter. I will be using a 4 inch ram but in order to acheive the speed of the video i attached i am not sure if i should use a 16 or 22 gpm pump..Also if you guys have any tips and advise i would appreciate it. I want to avoid the "wish i had of done this different" mistakes..

The video of the speed i want to acheive..

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

16 gal pump will give good speed,make sure u brace that wedge or u,ll twist it off with tough wood,good luck.:givebeer:

need for speed

A typical cycle on a log splitter is at least 15 seconds (comparing the same type of splinter you have) so 7 second complete cycle more than sufficient. Good luck!

I'm just like toxic. Rented a speedco, not sure on size, but it had a 6.75hp motor and it was like watching paint dry. I'm in the scrouging parts phase of my build. Picked up a 4x30x2 cylinder and when mated with a 22gpm pump/16hp motor will give an 8 sec cycle time. Next purchase will will be the pump.

Brian

I never said that 15 seconds wast fast... The combo that toxic has worked out sounds like a great set up. 7 second cycle time would be a very efficient splitter... Especially for being "homemade." I also need to correct my spelling from my last post... Splitter not splinter lol

Back