Oak Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebockelmann

Reaction score
I purchased a home a couple of years ago that backs up to a forest. We have several large oak trees on our property. A couple of them are close to the house. I have seen many trees toppled due to large storms out here in Illinois. Should I be worried about the oak trees? They are very nice and I would hate to remove any of them.

Hard to say without knowing the condition of the trees. Healthy and happy trees (both above and below the ground) don't tend to just tip over or blow up on their own.

the land as alot to do with it as well is the ground wet most the time or dry.... tis so much to look at to tell either to cut em back or not to.... Just watch if u cut em back cuz if u cut em to hard they will die out on ya

the land as alot to do with it as well is the ground wet most the time or dry.... tis so much to look at to tell either to cut em back or not to.... Just watch if u cut em back cuz if u cut em to hard they will die out on ya

lol im replying to my self i forgot to add some thing oaks can look good from the out side and be realy dead in side...I have cut alot that looked to be nice tree only to have about 3 or 4 inchs on the out side of the stump holding them up

True. 3 out of 4 good replies so far, one useless--not bad for the internet, huh? You can do a lot to help them be safer by giving them proper care. Go to the site in my sig for some ideas on that. Attached is one view of trees and risk.

I could have sworn I posted on this thread.:monkey:
Anyway what I said was: I had an oak come down on me this year. Micro burst. No way, did I think that tree had a rotten trunk. It had a perfectly heathy canopy. What I am trying to say is I think you need to get a pro to come over and take a close look. Take a close pic of the base of the tree if you have fungus down there that is a good sign you have a problem.

As you can see by my title I am a novice but let me tell you after the last five days of watching two giant oaks in a ice storm,neighbor in back and neighbor on north.One had been taken care of and the other had been left to grow as it pleased. The one that had been taken care of lost a third of its limbs, fell on neighbors house and car. The other one lost a lot of limbs and more are hanging getting ready to fall but not as bad as the tree that had really good care. The limbs would fall from so far up they would stick in the ground and look like another tree. We had 3 1/2 inches of rain before the ice started forming on trees so the ground was really soft. I just wanted to share this for what its worth.
Novice2

White oaks or red oaks? White oaks can take more then red oaks far as wins and ice.. If they are trimmed back just right should take alot to get them to brake off..I always say a safe tree it a tree down on the ground.Never realy know bout them.. If they are cut back right they should be good to go for a long time...Just be easy on cutting them back because to much at one time will kill them out..

As you can see by my title I am a novice but let me tell you after the last five days of watching two giant oaks in a ice storm,neighbor in back and neighbor on north.One had been taken care of and the other had been left to grow as it pleased. The one that had been taken care of lost a third of its limbs, fell on neighbors house and car. The other one lost a lot of limbs and more are hanging getting ready to fall but not as bad as the tree that had really good care. The limbs would fall from so far up they would stick in the ground and look like another tree. We had 3 1/2 inches of rain before the ice started forming on trees so the ground was really soft. I just wanted to share this for what its worth.
Novice2

Will insurance cover these things?

Will insurance cover these things?
I think insurance typically covers structures and possessions.

novice, that sounds like a bad storm. Pruning that removes interior limbs and makes ends heavier can make trees less safe. The attached describes care of trees like the ones you describe.

I will try to remember to answer all questions.
First, Insurance will only pay if tree or limbs fall on a structure, and then it will also clean up debris, structures include fence, houses, out buildings,weather heads. We had a limb fall on our house but it rolled off and it was the top out of a silver maple. All of the limbs that fell on us came from neighbors. The Shrub,President Bush declared us a disaster area Monday. We still have 25,000 out of power just in the Springfield, Mo area, we have power.

I am pretty sure the oak trees were both white oak.

Treeseer I have copied your info. and will pass it on to the local paper and tv stations thanks. Also I copied the info you sent on my other post, Storm Damage.

You may be able to see pic at News-leader.Com

Thanks Treeseer. I will print it off and pass along. You can google Springfield, Mo + ice storm and read all about it. On news tonight they said city parks alone had 10,000 trees that would have to be cut down or trimed. It will take a long time for us to recover. Our falls are beautiful and you did not have to leave town to see the foliage. They are telling people to not be in a hurry to cut the trees down. Fema is going to pay for the city to pickup the debri but home owners have to put it at the curb.
Novice

they said city parks alone had 10,000 trees that would have to be cut down or trimed.
FEMA may say that any tree with 50% crown loss should go. If the people in the field are inexperienced enough (and how much ice storm practice do they get?) to take this literally, a lot of restorable trees will go to the curb.

Fema can and will pay for pruning if the criteria are clear to them. Several threads on this in the archives. Chris Luley with Davey and the urban foresters in Richmond VA know how this works.

Treeseer thanks for the link, I have saved it in my favorites. Was able to get out and look at trees, had to be careful not to get under large trees or power lines, and I have more damage than I thought. I have ten junipers/redcedars that are over 20 yrs old as a screen. Most of them are leaning to the 10:00 and then two are leaning to 2:00. I don't know how to describe it in %. Anyway they are also bent to ground but not much breakage. What are my chances of recovery. I have 5 hicks yews on the ground that were over 10ft tall but I think I will be able to save them. Sugar Maple is topped except for one lone limb sticking up in the air. It is also hanging on our service line so power could go if we have wind. Still 30%.
Novice

I have ten junipers/redcedars that are over 20 yrs old as a screen. they are also bent to ground but not much breakage. What are my chances of recovery. Sugar Maple is topped except for one lone limb sticking up in the air. It is also hanging on our service line so power could go if we have wind. Still 30%.
Novice
I have a young redcedar bent sideways by snow a few years ago. It took several months but it straightened good as new.

The sugar maple, it may take some longterm vision but if the wounds are not extensive that one limb could become the new crown. A picture of that one would be awesome.

Yea! if my red cedars streighten up I will be really happy. We had worked so hard mulching them and making sure they had one inch of water a wk after they started looking dry a couple of years ago and someone from this site told me what to do. I will try to get pic of sugar maple. I may have to do it the old fashion way, take a pic and have it developed. Fema put us in a catagory #4. Katrina was a catagory #5. I don't believe we are that close to what they suffered. First day of melting and snow predicted along with sleet for tomorrow. Yes we do have ice storms last big one being in 1987. I don't like breaking records when it comes to ice storms. Still 19,000 out of power.
Novice

Latest posts

Back