Observations of my new PS-5100s from a Noob

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

par38lamp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bit the bullet and bought a Dolmar 5100s last week. I was able to use is Sunday and last night, and thought I would post my observations of it, as viewed from a person new to chainsaws.

My prior experience has been with cheap saws, a Poulon Pro 16" and a Craftsman something or other (Poulon rebrand).

This saw feels so much more than the Brother-in-laws Poulon. More heft, solid feeling. Comes from the more metal/less plasitic I figure.

Starts easy. The firts ever pull was a little suprising, with the resistance it gave me, but because I was starting it as instructed in the manual, things went well.

I bought the saw witht the 3/8", .050 chain and bar.

Cuts through 10" oak, pine and mystery wood were quick, and made lots of large chips. Like I read on here, when I tried crosscutting, I got the long curley-ques, or lots of fine dust, depending on the wood and how much I forced the saw.

Only time I stalled the chain was crosscutting and my cut was less than straight. I am still working on finding the "sweet spot" RPM cutting speed/sound. When revved to full throttle right before cutting, this saw really screams.

Vibration is non-existant, at least in my gloved hands. Especially with lined gloves. I acutally had to try and notice any vibration while cutting.

Last night I cut without hearing protection, and was not deafend when I stopped.

I conusmed a tank of fuel while cutting Sunday, so I set out to sharpen the stock chain. That proved difficult. I am using Oregon 7/32" files, when held @ what I thought was the propoer angle (25 degrees), parallel to the cutters, the file also scraped the rakers. After a few strokes, the raker material removed, filing became much easier. 1 beer job. I marked a cutter with a sharpie since I could no find the "master link".

I also purchased a loop of 72LG64 chain, but have not used it yet. Not until I become more familair with my new saw. It looks to have much less obtrusive rakers so filing should be much easier.

I also bought Husquvarna chaps. They go on easy and fit good. They get hot. They hang over the top of my boot, so I get a little protection there as well. I already own hearing protection, prescription safety glasses and a hard hat (working around large Caterpillar generators). I wish I could just buy a hearing/face shield attachemnt to mount to my hard hat.

Wife said I looked funny in the chaps. I told her it's better than sawing my legs off. Especially with a 2nd new mouth to feed (2 week old son-AKA soon to be wood pile helper!)

Thanks to all here who graciously share their knowledge with the un-informed. I was ready to get a MS250, but I wanted a saw that would out last me, so I went with a profressional grade saw. I even considered a MS361 becuase of this site, but could not justify the $590 + tax. Especially when others here have suggested the 5100 and 361 are almost comparable saws.

Yes, I am now finding myself looking for another saw already. A Makita UC4000 electric for late weeknight cutting, and a Makita 6401 from Home Depot as a project saw. I need those like I need a hole in my head right now. My 5100 cuts so fast that I don't have enough wood to feed it.

If anyone is in/near St. Louis, MO, feel free to drop me a line if you would like to try out a 5100, or just want to GTG for cutting. Can't do too much with the little one and a 3 year old, though.

Congratulations on your new baby boy and your new snappy chainsaw. You may find it easier to file the chain with a 13/64" round file instead of 7/32". That is a matter of personal preference. And welcome to the site!

Congrats. I have a 5100 and like it fine overall.

I say always wear hearing protection when running a saw. Period. You'll understand why better in 20 yrs. Your wife and kids will thank you.

Old school says it's manly to be deaf. New school says it's just so preventable.:)

Dolmar 5100

Outstanding choice! Now, with you there are three people in addition to myself whom do not own a 361!:hmm3grin2orange:

Good advise on the file size and ear protection!:greenchainsaw:

I can't justify the two saws I have, but I still want more:)

I'm jealous as I have heard a lot of good about the Dolmar saws but I can't seem to find a dealer close.

I've been eyeing a $tihl 441 but I would love to try a Husky, Jred, or Dolmar.

...but with the 441 I get some ability to exchange bar/chain with my 361 plus a local shop.

If money just wasn't an issue...

Congratulations on the new saw. I'm fairly new to cutting, came here from ********** since I wanted fuel for my new fireplace insert. I also just moved to StL and I'm trying to find wood fetching buddies.

Thanks for the saw review. My wife thought I was nuts dropping $380 for a Husky 353, and you guys make me look sane.

Congratulations on the saw & the son. You'll have some good help soon, I was doing the in the bed of the truck part of unloading wood solo when I was 3. Funny thing is that I seriously remember my back being sore afterward. You picked a great saw. I definitely reccommend it to someone who doesn't need a big saw, but wants something serious. I love mine. Definitely keeping the 18" bar on it so I don't start using it too much and encroaching on my Stihls. No real worries there, I cut big wood for firewood anyhow.

Congratulations on the new saw. I'm fairly new to cutting, came here from ********** since I wanted fuel for my new fireplace insert. I also just moved to StL and I'm trying to find wood fetching buddies.

Thanks for the saw review. My wife thought I was nuts dropping $380 for a Husky 353, and you guys make me look sane.
I too came from ********** and had the same wife reaction as my budget kept increasing (tanks to this site!)

Well, what area are you in? I'm trying to get some wood put up for the winter, unfortunately, I didn't start when we were having the white stuff dumped on us.

Latest posts

Back