Ochsenkopf Splitting Axe Reviews

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe somebody told Be he needs to eat his wheaties.......guy splits long rounds on the regular. I like to think I'm in shape and I stick to 20 inch long rounds, mine look like babies compared to Ben's!

I can't believe somebody told Be he needs to eat his wheaties.......guy splits long rounds on the regular. I like to think I'm in shape and I stick to 20 inch long rounds, mine look like babies compared to Ben's!
No kidding, just a bit of hypocrisy there. From the guy who needs to take a 45 minute break after running a 40 cc saw for 10 minutes tells someone else to get more strength. And the splitting tips too? This coming from a guy who splits less than 2 cords per year and is trying to be a know it all to a guy who does 25 cords a year.

No kidding, just a bit of hypocrisy there. From the guy who needs to take a 45 minute break after running a 40 cc saw for 10 minutes tells someone else to get more strength. And the splitting tips too? This coming from a guy who splits less than 2 cords per year and is trying to be a know it all to a guy who does 25 cords a year.

Not a big deal. I'll take all of the pro-tips I can get.:D

After my splitting adventures yesterday, I can see where the metal sleeve on the Ocshenkopf would really shine on wood handle splitting tools.

Ok, so the Ochsenkopf showed up the other day. First impression, this is a quality tool with a nice fit and finish. So I ordered the one that was 700 mm long and weighed 1250 g. That equates to 27.5" and 2.7lbs. Initially I thought the handle was a little short but I am already over that, just use a taller block to split on. Tried it out on a few different pieces of wood, some smaller rounds and some big rounds that I had halved with a maul. With fairly clean wood(no huge knots) this axe blows wood apart. Have not tried it with any challenging wood yet, will try and get some this week(along with pics). I am now on the hunt for something a little heavier, not sure if I want to go for a maul or a heavier axe.

Somebody mentioned the Helko Vario 2000.

Here's mine, it's just to pretty to use.:chop: So I hung it on the wall.

34nplhz.jpg

amvma.jpg

35i6bh1.jpg

Helko stuff looks pretty nice! I was hoping for a review of that bad boy.
Here are a few pics of the new axe

Very Nice!

I just got an e-mail today that Baileys is running a sale on Ochsenkopf for $99.:happybanana:

Ok, so the Ochsenkopf showed up the other day. First impression, this is a quality tool with a nice fit and finish. So I ordered the one that was 700 mm long and weighed 1250 g. That equates to 27.5" and 2.7lbs. Initially I thought the handle was a little short but I am already over that, just use a taller block to split on. Tried it out on a few different pieces of wood, some smaller rounds and some big rounds that I had halved with a maul. With fairly clean wood(no huge knots) this axe blows wood apart. Have not tried it with any challenging wood yet, will try and get some this week(along with pics). I am now on the hunt for something a little heavier, not sure if I want to go for a maul or a heavier axe.
Please PM me where you purchase this axe from.
I can't wait to see some pictures and a run down.

The one with the protective collar is 122$. Handle seems long though. GB maul handle is 31.5"

I am looking for an axe around 4lb with a protective metal sleeve. I want another Ochsenkopf to match with my Big Ox but they don't have anything with the specs that I want and I don't want to compromise an without the protective sleeve because I am not very accurate with my strikes. The Gransfors is the closes match.
Get a length of clothes lines, electric cable or something similar. Wrap it around the handle starting at the head of the axe/maul. Keep each wrap tight against the previous one. Cover about six inches of the handle. Finish off by wrapping insulation tape around the protective wrapping. I do it to all of my striking tools and the handles are protected permanently from overstrike. It is simple, cheap and highly effective.

Latest posts

Back