off topic...tractor recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I put this in the large equipment forum, but no one has responded. Maybe some of you have some experience? If not, just tell me to get lost!

Anyhow, I'm looking for a good used compact tractor to do some brushhogging around the farm and to manage (plow/till) about an acre garden. I was thinking an old Ford 8N or something like that. Any info/suggestions you might have would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

You might want to hop on over to tractorbynet.com. You should find out more information than you ever wanted to know about CUTs.

I'm not a fan of the old Ford 8N's and Massy-Fergussons class tractors because they have too tall a first gear to be really comfortable with a bush hog when things get tough. AND too tall for tighter manuvers.

The old Internations are better and there are tons of new parts still being made for them. I have an old W-4 we use for kicks...its reall a great tractor. TSC sells draw bar pulled bush hogs for those ones without 3-points.

If you have $5000 to spend, look for a "Blue" Ford 3000 or 4000 class tractor. It will do anything you want, they are cheap, parts are cheap and available, they are tough as hammers, gearing is right..I could go on and on. I like them better than the Green and Red tractors of that 40-50hp class in that era as well. Can't go wrong with either gas or diesel versions. So..thats my recommendation.

(Look on tractor house . com)

Newer? I have a little Massey Fergusson 1433 compact. Its 4x4, diesel, has two remotes, a loader, 8 speed gear box with shuttle, has pto...what else could you want for an around the farm cleanup tractor? I use it for everything from skidding to mowing, backing my large farm equipment like round balers into the barn becasue it FITs inside the barn....get the drift? Its so handy sort of like a pickup truck. You don't realize how much you really need one until you have one...

I don't think a Ford 8N will do well plowing with a single bottom 14" or 16" plow, but it probably doesn't have enough horsepower or a low enough ground speed for that kind of work. I have a 1952 Case VA, which suffers from the same problem. A neighbor of mine did have a Massey Ferguson 35 which did do well for him on both brush hogging and plowing with a 2-bottom plow. With only an acre to plow, a single-bottom 14" or 16" would do it. You probably also want to have a live PTO, i.e., one that doesn't disengage when you step on the clutch. My Case does, and it's a PITA mowing.

A 2N/9N/8N will pull a 2 bottom plow and a mower fine. The 2N/9N is a 3 speed and the 8N is a 4 speed. As noted 1st gear in the 2N/9N is a little fast when mowing very heavy stuff. I am not sure if 1st gear is the same in the 8N. The 2n/9N also had a optional Sherman tranny that gave it a a high low thus a 6 speed. If you do not have enougn power you can get a Funk conversion and put a flat head 6 cylinder or V-8 in it.

Bill

yes, ford 8n is small ,h.p.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkmWoq...EXP=1233844776/**http://www.tractorhouse.com/ dont get me wrong it will plow and mow but ,it will work harder to do it and 800 is good but, it sucks fuel pretty good , and will plow with no problems , and geared right to, they tend to jump out of 1st and reverse after some use , move up to blue ford with 8x8 trannys they have almost bullet proof trannys and motors, also and geared well ,3cylnders diesel not bad on fuel , last for years , better hydraulics , and like was said 5000.00 or little more will get you one 2000 all way to 3610 or bigger if you want

International 460/560 one sexy tractor!

e5.jpg

e3.jpg

Last edited:
Fords +

If you want cheap with marginal hp, forget the 8N. They are the darling of collectors now and decent ones get decent money. They were powerful in a small package for their time, but were eclipsed by later models. I have an NAA (also called Golden Jubilee) only made in '53 and '54, and they are the consumate mowing machine. Again, because they were limited production some are selling for big money. A little later came the 600, which is the same tractor without the desirable badges on the Jubilee, so they are actually cheaper! :) Even later gets more power and more transmission choices with the 800 series.
After that, go BLUE!
I can't stress enough about how you will really want a live PTO for mowing.
Early machines the tractor needed to be moving for the PTO to turn. Later, it was controlled by the clutch (NAA) -- somewhat better in that you could get the blades to turn by letting the clutch out in neutral. The best are true live PTOs -- driven regardless of what the transmission or clutch is doing.
With the early machines you need to get a free-running adapter on the PTO.
Without it, the momentum of the spinning bush-hog blades and disk will actually push the tractor even when you are trying to slow down! The free-running adapter lets the PTO ratchet so it can only drive and not be driven by the accessory.
Happy hunting!

If you want an early Ford, search for the N-Newsletter published out of VT. Its for Fords only, lots of tech articles and lots of individual and dealer ads.

Last edited:
all ford N series have tall gears. even reverse is to fast! tough way to learn to drive a tractor, but i survived. the most brush hogging i have done was with a ford 2600 diesel. much much better than the 8n. if you want to have a front bucket ever, get a 4x4. the 2600 i drove had a bucket and was 2 wheel drive. by the time i was 12 i knew the trick where you use the bucket to get yourself unstuck (and i was better at it than my dad)

If you want an early Ford, search for the N-Newsletter published out of VT. It for Fords only, lots of tech articles and lots of individual and dealer ads.

That is published about 5 miles from me at my aunts old house. He's a pretty good guy (even if he is a Ford man) and gives me crap about my Farmalls.

all ford N series have tall gears. even reverse is to fast! tough way to learn to drive a tractor, but i survived. the most brush hogging i have done was with a ford 2600 diesel. much much better than the 8n. if you want to have a front bucket ever, get a 4x4. the 2600 i drove had a bucket and was 2 wheel drive. by the time i was 12 i knew the trick where you use the bucket to get yourself unstuck (and i was better at it than my dad)

Thats a must in a skidsteer!

The thing I hate about the Fords is they are to expensive for what your getting, a decent running 560 tractor (earlier posted) can be had for 2000-2500. That is a lot of tractor for the money, 50-60 hp at pto, has a torque amplified tranny which is nice for mowing on down slopes and such. You can find parts easily for them, not that you can't for the fords but they are expensive. I'd look around and not only be open to the Fords, they are nice looking and I do like but they aren't always the best choice.:cheers:

Weimedog how much did give for your 1433. Local dealer has one with loader for $14,000 area has around 700 hrs on it.

If you got the money for new or used in good shape go Kubota. They are great tractors and the small one are strong for their size. Everyone around here who has one can't say enough about how good they are. You could also look into the German bulit John Deere tractors(stay away from the cheaper ones).

Slightly Different Point

attachment.php

Here's my take for what it's worth. In the fore ground is our 9n (named farley) and in back is a 25hp. 3 cylinder Mitsubishi. Three speed tranny with 3 range secondary gear box, 4 wheel drive and locking differencial.
Farley did everything around here until the Mitsubishi got here. But all with pull toys. There is no hydraulics for a loader and too fast a 1st without a "Sherman" for a roto tiller.
The Mitsubishi is a gray market tractor from Japan. Was used in the rice fields with a tiller. The rear tires are a bit narrow with high cleats and the tractors are set up a as narrow as they can be. I reversed the rims and added water and it's been a great little worker here and at the son in laws.
The point being that unless you are married to the idea of a domestic name tractor there are plenty of Mitsubishi's, yanmars, and Kubota's that will do the job. Mine came from an importer called "Best Tractor". .....Bob

I believe it's an after market, I have not seen any markings to tell me otherwise. To be honest I don't know what the diferences were. But I've had a few guys ask in the past.

Sorry guys, I put this in the large equipment forum, but no one has responded. Maybe some of you have some experience? If not, just tell me to get lost!

Anyhow, I'm looking for a good used compact tractor to do some brushhogging around the farm and to manage (plow/till) about an acre garden. I was thinking an old Ford 8N or something like that. Any info/suggestions you might have would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Seem to be getting a lot of tips, but I think you need to narrow it down a lot more before asking questions. I'd set a price that you can deal with first. Consider gas vs diesel and general size that you want that will cover your needs now, and future. Any chance on you expanding on property size? Are you looking to go lower price for a little bit of a project, or do you want something you can hop on and mow with right away?

There are just tons of tractors out there that would do what you are looking for. Some of the smaller ones are more expensive that the mid sized ones because they are more popular, so you could buy a little more than you need for a few bucks less.

I would think this would be a really good time to buy if you have the cash!

The MF 35, 135, are soild tractors, but they are uncomfortable to me because the peddles are backwards. A ford 3000 is good. A 1020 or 2020 JD is better but will cost you more. Kubotas are usually good.
The other Jap tractors are good, but finding parts is not as easy.
Get power steering or you will regret it.

I would take an IH 350 Ultility (not the row crop tricycle) over an 8N. It has a live PTO and is about the same size (dimensions) as the 8N.

Also the 300 Utility is a good tractor, it has down pressure on the 3pth. I am not too familiar with those models, but I would assume the 350 does too.

The MF 35, 135, are soild tractors, but they are uncomfortable to me because the peddles are backwards. A ford 3000 is good. A 1020 or 2020 JD is better but will cost you more. Kubotas are usually good.
The other Jap tractors are good, but finding parts is not as easy.
Get power steering or you will regret it.

I am a big fan of the MF tractors. The 135 is a solid tractor for sure and parts are readily available. If you want something a little bit newer the 230 or 245 are good options.

If you come across an Oliver 550 they are great tractors too. The one great advantage of the 2N, 8N, and 9N is the parts availability. If you have a TSC nearby they stock many parts on the shelf for those models.

Minneapolis JetStar3 is a a good one too, but hard to find. Gotta love those old Olivers and Minnie Mo's.

:cheers:

Back