off topic...tractor recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Hill

Sounds like a ford 3000 would work great- there about 5k. Whatever you get, try to get one with rollover protection.

Well, we have 90 acres and i'd say about 15 of it are in need of brushhogging. However, we currently have a neighbor who leases the land for his cattle, so he maintains it for now. When he is unable to do so, obviously, someone will have to take over the responsibility. I would love for that to be me, but I simply cannot afford the equipment. I'm only looking to spend 3-5000 max.....enough to take care of a garden and some light brushogging.

Based on that...find a nice blue Ford 3000 or 4000 with a Three Point and Pto. Should have no problem find one thats both clean and more than enough to do what you want.

..............................You may want to look for a Allis Chalimers D-17. They are about 55-60 horse, have live PTO & hydralics, power steering. Another good Allis is a 175 or 185.

We had a D-17 for years. We had enough tractors so the last 3-4 years we left a mounted New Idea picker on it. Since it was only being used a few hours each year we sold it. I wish it was still here. The oil clutch was nice. The only drawback was it was a Series 1. The early models did not have a 3pt

As for a 175-185 they are good too. We still have a 180 diesel with a loader. It is approaching 9000hrs without the engine being touched. It needs it though as we have to use the glow plug right up to warm weather. The huge drawback to that series is the transmissions. Ours would slip out of 7th/8th gear at anytime. It would slip out of 5th/6th gear going down a hill. It seems many of these had that same problem. We ended up going through it at a huge expense. Shortly after that it caught on fire. That was a $2500 bill. I would hate to add up all the money spent on the tractor. It is still running. I will be using it to grind feed in a couple days.

Bill

I have a Massey Ferguson 484. It's a foreign built tractor and I would stay away from one of those. I got a good deal on it and needed a tractor fast so I bought it. I wish it was a Case IH of the same size every time I start it. Mine has a all hydralic loader which is an Alo brand and I would never never buy another. The hydralic hoses blew out the ends on 4 connections. Very poor crimp put on them.

If you want to do tight turning be careful buying a 4X4. They take twice as much turning radius.

You may want to look for a Allis Chalimers D-17. They are about 55-60 horse, have live PTO & hydralics, power steering. Another good Allis is a 175 or 185.

The only domestic made tractors that I am aware of are the larger JD tractors. The 7000 series are made in Waterloo I think. All of the smaller tractors are made in Asia or Europe. The economy 5200 series tractors are made in India or something like that. The MF utility tractors are made in Turkey now, or India. Can't remember which, but they all hold up pretty well.

Agco tractors are good if you want new. Well I guess they don't have cummins in the smaller ones anymore.

I have a 460 with a tricycle front end and have been looking for a WF replacement. 460 are now old enough that it is hard to find some of the neat things that people modified them with when they were newer.

Tricycle is NOT a good thing with a loader.

If yours is an after market, does it seem fairly decent.

Yes it seems fine, It doesn't look to be a cheap unit. Where are you at in Indiana?

The only domestic made tractors that I am aware of are the larger JD tractors. The 7000 series are made in Waterloo I think. All of the smaller tractors are made in Asia or Europe. The economy 5200 series tractors are made in India or something like that. The MF utility tractors are made in Turkey now, or India. Can't remember which, but they all hold up pretty well.

Agco tractors are good if you want new. Well I guess they don't have cummins in the smaller ones anymore.

JD 9000, 8000, and large frame 7000 are made in Waterloo. Small frame 7000 and 6000 are made in Germany. Most 5000 are made in Georgia, the 5003 in India. Anything smaller than that, I could give a rat's arse.

I have farmed all my life and now that is my primary income. My recommendation is to get on www.tractorhouse.com and you can do a search by mfg., hp, price, and geographic location. I'd stay with JD, Farmall/International/Case International or Kubota all are solid with good dealer and parts support. I would look for something with independent pto and I would make sure it has at least one hydraulic remote, two would be better.
With one you could run a hydraulic three point wood splitter, with two you are ready to run a loader. Stay away from anything that doesn't have a factory three point, stay with a wide front end. If you have any specific questions about specific models let me know as a family we have 17 different tractors in three households and have had expierence with most brands and have used many different models over the years just send me a PM. Good Luck

I bought a 5410 4X4 in 2000 made in Gerogia and I have never found anything wrong with it. It will pull three 16's all day long. I ran a 2020 which was a German tractor for several years before that. I like the old JD power steering better, but it's not a big deal.

If you buy a used tractor there are a couple of things to look for. When the engine shuts down make sure it kicks back when it stops. Means it still has enough compression to work a while. Put it in high gear with some throttle and drop the clutch, make sure the clutch isn't slipping. Shut the tractor off with the lift up, with a load if you can. See how fast it leaks down. See how much slop is in the steering linkage. If it has wet brakes, check the hydraulic screen or filter if you can and make sure there is no brake material in it.

JD 9000, 8000, and large frame 7000 are made in Waterloo. Small frame 7000 and 6000 are made in Germany. Most 5000 are made in Georgia, the 5003 in India. Anything smaller than that, I could give a rat's arse.

Good info. :)

I knew the 7000 were, but for some reason thought that the 8000 and 9000 were made in Germany. I thought the 6000 and 5000 were made in germany as well, but it is good to know that the 5000 is still US made.

The 5200 I was referring to was the 5003. I have only seen the 5203 but I guess there are more models in that lineup.

I forget what model you have in the JD lineup. Is it a 2900 series or a 4000 series? There are way too many JD models. :dizzy:

When the farm bought the self propelled harvester, the operator got a paid trip to Germany to get hands on training. Good way for JD to make the sale. :)

Don't discount a Zetor if you can find one for the right money. They made tractors for JD for awhile

They weren't available in the states though were they? I thought they were a cheap option in Europe.

Zetor does make a good tractor. In the woods they are almost unstoppable.

I have a 2940 MFWD.
My BIL's farm has a 7400, 6410, 4450, and a 4000 (which is basically a stripped down 4020 with a 3020 rear end)
I also have a Farmall A and M.

I just remember it being a nice looking tractor. I will need to get some pictures when i get home of the tractors. My fiance's (weird saying that) is big on White farm equipment. I think they have 15 or so White or Oliver tractors.

I just remember it being a nice looking tractor. I will need to get some pictures when i get home of the tractors. My fiance's (weird saying that) is big on White farm equipment. I think they have 15 or so White or Oliver tractors.

Does your Fee-On-Say have any CleTrac or Hart-Parr?

There's a farm near-by that has several old Olivers and a whole pile of Longs sitting out in the fields. I think there's an IH 560 out there too.

Does your Fee-On-Say have any CleTrac or Hart-Parr?

There's a farm near-by that has several old Olivers and a whole pile of Longs sitting out in the fields. I think there's an IH 560 out there too.

No nothing that old. Her dad has a bunch of 550's, but most of them are newer. He has 2 1655's and some of the last Whites that were made. 190's maybe? They are pushing 200hp and have duals on the back. He does mostly crop farming with them. He bought a newer AGCO but says the digital stuff is a pain and it will kill the battery if it sits long enough.

What are you really wanting to do with it?
I think the old Fords 8-9n's are the most over ratted, under powerd, ove priced POS things made!
The Ford 4000-7000 tractors are good buys, not all that powerful, but full hydraulics and a decent PTO system.
I am partial to the new JD CUT's, visit a dealer, a small CUT with a bucket might be less than what you are looking at for an older tractor that wont be as easy to operate.

AND GET POWER STEERING!!! I cannot stress that enough, even on a CUT it makes a difference!

Hill, I'm no expert on tractors, but I have a Kubota BX25 and love it. It replaced the BX24. It's a mini back hoe, which detaches easy and comes with a 3 pt hitch. You can probably get a good used one for about 12K. Here's a pic of mine--weights 1,500 without the hoe on. Hoe weights 700lbs.

Last edited:
Back