off topic...tractor recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you got the money for new or used in good shape go Kubota. They are great tractors and the small one are strong for their size. Everyone around here who has one can't say enough about how good they are. You could also look into the German bulit John Deere tractors(stay away from the cheaper ones).

That's a pretty blanket statement. Would be like saying that a Stihl is the only saw to buy.

Kubota is good, but there are a lot of other choices out there that aren't Kubota. Some may actually be built better and priced cheaper because the Kubota tractors tend to have a lot of resale value.

There are brands other than JD, Kubota, and NH that offer a ton of value with their tractors because it's the only way they can stay in business. They have to be cheaper, and in many cases they offer better product because they don't have a name to carry them.

I believe it's an after market, I have not seen any markings to tell me otherwise. To be honest I don't know what the diferences were. But I've had a few guys ask in the past.

I have a 460 with a tricycle front end and have been looking for a WF replacement. 460 are now old enough that it is hard to find some of the neat things that people modified them with when they were newer.

Tricycle is NOT a good thing with a loader.

If yours is an after market, does it seem fairly decent.

To-35 ferguson with the 4 cyl continental engine, 2 stage clutch, 3 speed with hi and low, you can add remote hydraulics to them and parts are more avaiable for the continental than he perkins gas in the later ones, the engine oil filter is in a better place than the perkins if you are going in the woods with it
If you do get something without live PTO get a overrunning coupler on the Pto shaft from the tractor for mowing, the mass of the rotating mower backfeeds the trans and you can run into things

Please tell us how much bush hogging yo will be doing. If you have 2 acres a 4ft will do this fine. 40 acres is a different story. Need more information to help properly.

Tractor size

Well I went through what you are contemplating: I had the 8n Fords and NAA ford, (NAA was overhead valves, more power; 8n is what it is, a nice collect able tractor that grandpap had. You are not going to cut a tree down with a crosscut saw, are you? 9n is even older. Good for parades and to play with on it's own. Yea you can plow with them, but you need more.

Now that I said that, Hey I am Ford guy; but I tried this before.

You need a modern tractor to brush-hog. Period. Live PTO, more horsepower, better brakes, maybe or not more weight. Don't get a TOO BIG brush-hog for the tractor you are using. Safety is Important; you want to be able to stop that tractor and control the weight of a 3-point brush-hog, drag type does not need as much weight or horsepower.

Ask the brush-hog manufacturer what HP they suggest for the given cutter.

I have a 350 IH Utility with a loader, it is old too, about a 1956. But My brush-hog tractor is a D6806 Deutz, (German tractor), very powerful for it's size, weights about, 8,000 lbs as equipped. I am using a 7 foot brush-hog, I do have hills, so the weight is very important to hold the mower down.

My suggestion, given I don't know if you have hills or wet land or whatever, if money was no problem, I would get a new New Holland, JD, Case IH, etc with a quick detach loader, maybe 4x4. Given my finances I need to look used; find a low hour utility of any common make, diesel, and make sure you have enough horsepower and brakes. No substitute for horsepower.

Antique tractors are just that, Antique.

To-35 ferguson with the 4 cyl continental engine, 2 stage clutch, 3 speed with hi and low, you can add remote hydraulics to them and parts are more avaiable for the continental than he perkins gas in the later ones, the engine oil filter is in a better place than the perkins if you are going in the woods with it
If you do get something without live PTO get a overrunning coupler on the Pto shaft from the tractor for mowing, the mass of the rotating mower backfeeds the trans and you can run into things

I think the Perkins is the better engine than the Continental and would provide more reliability, but you are right about the parts availability.

We had a TEA-20 with the Continental engine that just flat out sucked.

We got the to-35 9 years ago, at that time I completely rebuild the engine. It has been going since, plow, sow oats, plant corn, rake hay, cultivate corn, pull chopper boxes early on, brush hog, pull logs and run a cordwood saw. Perkins is a nice diesel as a gas motor it sucks, carb not available, bastard Lucas dist cap, special hose to carb from air cleaner, need to take hood off to put plugs in.

I agree!

If you got the money for new or used in good shape go Kubota. They are great tractors and the small one are strong for their size. Everyone around here who has one can't say enough about how good they are. You could also look into the German bulit John Deere tractors(stay away from the cheaper ones).

I've had my L2650 since new in 1991 and I have to say it's been fantastic. Mowing, plowing both earth and snow, hauling firewood, disking and planting food plots, you name it - - - and its 4x4 to boot. Prior to the Kubota I had a IH A and Super A. Cute, but didn't do 1/3 the work a modern tractor can do.

Al

attachment.php

Last edited:
Also the 300 Utility is a good tractor, it has down pressure on the 3pth. I am not too familiar with those models, but I would assume the 350 does too.

I am a big fan of the MF tractors. The 135 is a solid tractor for sure and parts are readily available. If you want something a little bit newer the 230 or 245 are good options.

If you come across an Oliver 550 they are great tractors too. The one great advantage of the 2N, 8N, and 9N is the parts availability. If you have a TSC nearby they stock many parts on the shelf for those models.

Minneapolis JetStar3 is a a good one too, but hard to find. Gotta love those old Olivers and Minnie Mo's.

:cheers:

The 300 and 350 are basically the same machine, the 350 being a little newer.

I passed on a good running MF135 diesel with a bush hog and snowblower for $2000, and have been kicking myself in the butt ever since.:cry:

The 300 and 350 are basically the same machine, the 350 being a little newer.

I passed on a good running MF135 diesel with a bush hog and snowblower for $2000, and have been kicking myself in the butt ever since.:cry:

Wow that was a deal! The blower itself is worth that.

I thought the 300 and 350 were similar, but I don't know Farmalls too well. :cheers:

more info...

Well, we have 90 acres and i'd say about 15 of it are in need of brushhogging. However, we currently have a neighbor who leases the land for his cattle, so he maintains it for now. When he is unable to do so, obviously, someone will have to take over the responsibility. I would love for that to be me, but I simply cannot afford the equipment. I'm only looking to spend 3-5000 max.....enough to take care of a garden and some light brushogging.

Mf 484

I have a Massey Ferguson 484. It's a foreign built tractor and I would stay away from one of those. I got a good deal on it and needed a tractor fast so I bought it. I wish it was a Case IH of the same size every time I start it. Mine has a all hydralic loader which is an Alo brand and I would never never buy another. The hydralic hoses blew out the ends on 4 connections. Very poor crimp put on them.

If you want to do tight turning be careful buying a 4X4. They take twice as much turning radius.

You may want to look for a Allis Chalimers D-17. They are about 55-60 horse, have live PTO & hydralics, power steering. Another good Allis is a 175 or 185.

My suggestion, given I don't know if you have hills or wet land or whatever, if money was no problem, I would get a new New Holland, JD, Case IH, etc with a quick detach loader, maybe 4x4. Given my finances I need to look used; find a low hour utility of any common make, diesel, and make sure you have enough horsepower and brakes. No substitute for horsepower.

My father went through that a couple of years ago. At the time, used prices were just too close to new prices to justify the effort of going around looking at the used ones hoping to find a decent deal. Might be different as people start selling the tractors to pay the mortgage, but I bet the owners in that situation are underwater on their tractor loans and can't sell them.

Finally, he found a factory demo 3120, was supposedly used to move stuff around the parking lot at the factory. 260 hours, full warranty, the dealer put a 300X loader on it and sold it to him for something like 14-15k, which was less than a lot of sellers were asking for a nice used one.

Well, we have 90 acres and i'd say about 15 of it are in need of brushhogging. However, we currently have a neighbor who leases the land for his cattle, so he maintains it for now. When he is unable to do so, obviously, someone will have to take over the responsibility. I would love for that to be me, but I simply cannot afford the equipment. I'm only looking to spend 3-5000 max.....enough to take care of a garden and some light brushogging.

I have a JD 990 (40hp 4cyl 4wd) with loader that would fill your bill very nicely. It's not for sale but with a 5ft bush hog you would spend about 6-8hours cutting 15 acres. This tractor has power steering and with the loader that is a got to have. For pulling a plow the 4wd puts all the power to the ground and it will do the work of a 50hp for ground engaging equipment. For your budget it will be tough to find a tractor to fit. As others have said a Massey 135, 10 series (1040), Yanmar 3110, Mitsbishi D3250, Allis 5030, or the Ford 19XX series. Any of the above would be able to accomplish what you want. The difference will be the speed in which this is done.

Weimedog how much did give for your 1433. Local dealer has one with loader for $14,000 area has around 700 hrs on it.

Mine had 571 hours and I paid $10,000 for it. It had it hood dented....Looked a little rough. The dealers price that size & year comact around $14,000-$15,000 but I see them go for the 10,000 range at auctions and private sales from time to time.

Latest posts

Back