Oh Boy, Bundled wood at lowes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blowncrewcab

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Today I saw bundled wood at lowes for $5.99, there was 4 measley pieces in each bundle. Thats like $1.50 per piece, sure glad I cut my own......I'd have a problem with myself paying 1/2 that.....

Some people might be glad to get that, especially if they have a pellet stove. I heard today from the head of a chain of local hardware stores that there is a shortage of pellets. They can't fill their orders, due to lack of saw dust from the mills and the fact that the dust is also being used to manufacture other things.

bingo!!!
number one reason not to get a pelletvstove? Still dependent on the man for your fuel source. Isn't their some crisis every year that drives the price up?

Today I saw bundled wood at lowes for $5.99, there was 4 measley pieces in each bundle. Thats like $1.50 per piece, sure glad I cut my own......I'd have a problem with myself paying 1/2 that.....

heh....how would you like to have that contract?

Sawdust shortage? In the middle of a housing/economy slump? What a surprise! Hey, I think the Chinese are buying it all [sawdust] to use as a filler in perscription drugs, cause bamboo is too stringy & hard to swallow :laugh:

I have never seen sacked firewood sold retail for less than $1 a log. Incredible, isn't it? Almost enough to make you start buying sacks and going into business wholesaling it.

I was passed on the highway by a guy driving a 1-ton F-350, packed with sacks full of logs. I was carrying a full load of wood, unsacked. I think he gave me a thumbs up as he went by. Then he pulled off and headed straight for Lowes. I think I had more firewood on board than he did, but I imagine his wallet was shortly going to be fatter than mine. :biggrinbounce2:

heh....how would you like to have that contract?

Their overhead will drive down the wholesale price they are willing/able to pay, so the supplier will have to watch his expenses/methods carefully for it to be worth it.
High volume, low profit for wholesaler, BUT, it gets your name out there pretty quick.

They're selling pallets of harwood at local hardware store for $169.99 1/2 cord..

going price around here is $240 split and delivered..

Funny part is the company that owns the hardware stores owns gas and oil refineries and pulp and paper plants. They own half the land/wood in the province and still charge %50 more then anyone else.

Now, if a guy bundled pallet wood, then it would have been treated for bugs already, and no splitting, just make a big stack and cut them through, and call the thicker runners, ' overnight wood '. :laugh:

I have never seen sacked firewood sold retail for less than $1 a log. Incredible, isn't it? Almost enough to make you start buying sacks and going into business wholesaling it.

I was passed on the highway by a guy driving a 1-ton F-350, packed with sacks full of logs. I was carrying a full load of wood, unsacked. I think he gave me a thumbs up as he went by. Then he pulled off and headed straight for Lowes. I think I had more firewood on board than he did, but I imagine his wallet was shortly going to be fatter than mine. :biggrinbounce2:

This sounds like capitalism at its finest. But do you really think that Lowes was paying him any more for his load than you would get for yours? I wonder what their markup is on it??

I see it here, at the convenience stores, for $5.99 a bundle. Funny thing is its banded with metal bands.

Maybe we should band some of ours together, I'm sure that we won't be able to burn all this walnut, before its too dry. LOL

I have been thinking the same thing myself. I have quite a lot of summer campfire wood still left, I got a little carried away in the cutting. When you are mostly cutting oak, its a real joy to get into some softer stuff!
I checked into a banding kit, the plastic bands by the roll are 40 bucks for a 1000 ft and includes 200 buckles and a combo tightener and crimper. Might make some use out of the campfire wood after all.
I had figured that if worse comes to worse i will sell it this winter, if the winter costs for fuel are going to be sky high, folks might just be tempted to buy the mixed stuff for a bit cheaper. Oak is running 65 a rick right now.

This sounds like capitalism at its finest. But do you really think that Lowes was paying him any more for his load than you would get for yours? I wonder what their markup is on it??

I see it here, at the convenience stores, for $5.99 a bundle. Funny thing is its banded with metal bands.

Maybe we should band some of ours together, I'm sure that we won't be able to burn all this walnut, before its too dry. LOL
Standard markup by most Home Improvement centers is 100% of the cost or 50% of the selling price--the famous golden markup. That gives them the margin they need to make a profit, advertise, run store specials, and finally discard the unsold quantities.

They band it with metal bands so that people won't break open the bags. You can get a metal bander rather cheaply. Your clear bags can be recycled locally by the customer who can use it to discard trash.

My load of 75 cubic feet unsacked would have sold for $100 here, tops. His 1-ton load was probably worth $360 to him all sacked up--at least 120 sacks on board, but I didn't follow him and ask for a count.

They are clear cutting a 25 acre parcel near me in preparation to build a housing development. They have a big Cat excavator cutting the trees, a big JD grapple skidder, a limber/buncher, and an eight wheel forwarder to move them.

All of the hardwoods are going to be chipped and sold to pellet plants. The guy my buddy talked too said that they are 300 loads behind in their deliveries to the pellet plants. I'm guessing that pellet prices will be steep this year. Makes me glad I burn wood...

They are clear cutting a 25 acre parcel near me in preparation to build a housing development. They have a big Cat excavator cutting the trees, a big JD grapple skidder, a limber/buncher, and an eight wheel forwarder to move them.

All of the hardwoods are going to be chipped and sold to pellet plants. The guy my buddy talked too said that they are 300 loads behind in their deliveries to the pellet plants. I'm guessing that pellet prices will be steep this year. Makes me glad I burn wood...

I like to study all the alternatives, but I need to throw a chunk on the fire instead of an auto-feed pellet.I've found that most pellet people prefer softwood pellets; counter-intuitive, I know, but apparently they burn hotter and cleaner.Anyone here know about this?

Well pellets have advantages. A pellet stove can be installed in lots of places and does not need a chimney, and is also pretty much smoke free. I would only buy one that could burn shell corn. Pellets are a renewable resource, but that doesn;t help any when you can't get the pellets when you need them. Only smart way to do pellets is buy about 2 skids of them in June and store them til winter. Still better than giving your hard earned money to an oil or gas co.

I couldn't agree more.95% of all new homes built in Europe have at least one pellet appliance.The source of the pellets is North America...a very good thing. I would have one if I couldn't maintain my Jotul.I told all of my non firewood friends to buy one 9 months ago when I saw the natural gas futures spiking.

Back