Ohio Michigan Members

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not to far for me.

Just need a date/time and directions

I'm not a planning type of guy,if I try to plan something,something will go bad and screw up the plans.

Cool! I'm going to let this sit on the backburner for a bit. I drove by our first field this afternoon. That sucker should be ready to come off in a week. The field next to my house is typically one of the last to come off but that really depends on the weather. Lighter ground out here so if we get a good soaking, this field may come off sooner.

On second thought, I should probably just wait until we are completely done. Will be better that way... Gotta keep the peace with the old man.

Here is a satellite shot of what we will have to play around with. The marker is actually my neighbor's house. Google Maps is a little off... I'm the next house to the West. Can't really see the house but should be able to make out my drive way. The field to the East is the one I'm talking about. The West side is the fence line in particular. I call it a fence line but there is no fence involved. Lots of trees with a bit of a lean toward the field should make for easy felling. Lot of soft wood on the line but I have a couple trails through the woods and we could get to a lot of the Ash that is all over in there too. You will notice the power lines basically border the property. We would have all of that to work with as well.

View attachment 253710

P.S. Would someone fill me in on how to get pictures to just show in the thread as opposed to a link? Hedgerow told me how but for whatever reason, I can't get it to work that way...

253710d1348274832-satellite-shot-jpg

In in the detroit burbs Wyandotte (48192) to be exact I am looking forward to something. Always willing to drive or split it with someone whatever? Pm if interested for what its worth

Here's the deal...

Due to the dry summer, the corn is coming off early. We have 20 acres off so far and it was in the low 20s for moisture content. The field next to my house is currently right around 16% moisture. Time for it to come off! As I mentioned, I will probably wait until we are completely done so as to not interfere with anything and keep the old man happy.

How does the middle to end end of October look for everyone? I work every other Saturday. My next off day is the 20th but I'm not sure if we will be done with the corn by then. Next after that is the 3rd. Those work for anyone? Suppose we could do a Sunday as well if you guys aren't opposed to playing hookie from church.

As a refresher, we would be working on the edge of the field. Lots of soft Popple but there is some good hardwood there as well. I'd like to run right down the line and just cut stuff back instead of picking and choosing. I'm sure there would be plenty to go around. You would be welcome to haul some wood home for yourself if you'd like.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Suggestions?

It would have to be late winter/early spring for me to make it over at this point. I'm headed for IA for their GTG on Friday, we have a couple charity cuts lined up in October up here, and I need to cut some wood of my own as well.

FYI, my renter took the corn off at my place yesterday. The couple rounds I rode with him were running 12% and around 90bu, on my worst field. I'll catch up with him later in the week to see what the farm average was. He said the wettest he'd been in yet was 18%. We've had .25" of rain here in the last 6 weeks...

Yikes!! 12% and 90bu isn't pretty...

We were dry over the summer but not as bad as it could have been. We actually got a pretty good stretch of rain for a while but had it shown up 2 weeks sooner, we would have been good. Those two weeks were brutal on the crop. Not sure what kind of yield we were seeing. Dad didn't seem too pissed so it must have been decent. He was a little upset that he ran the combine auger into a tree... :msp_unsure: Maybe we should work on that field instead of the one next to my place... LOL! Glad it was him and not me!

central mi

I think the lansing area sounds best, Its central and not far from ind/ill/oh, pretty much the center of lower mich.

I think the lansing area sounds best, Its central and not far from ind/ill/oh, pretty much the center of lower mich.

I can't attend a fall MI GTG... I got 3 to go to in 3 states, in the next 3 weeks!!!
But if you guys can pull one off, you'll want to have a spring GTG...
Then it's on like donkey kong!!! I may bring a couple of TOKMO fellas with...
:msp_thumbup:

I ran this by oppermancjo and he said he was game, so if this goes off on the 20th I can attend and bring my woodmizer LT35HD. I will saw anything reasonably straight that you guys can haul up to the mill for a discounted rate of .25/bf (usually .35). I can bring a logging arch so the logs can be moved with a pickup truck.

I'm in just name the weekend. I can take a day's break from bowhunting. I'm in Big Rapids and can drive if anyone cares to share a ride. I remember Frankenmuth during my fast pitch softball days and playing tourney's there on weekends. As I recall there is a fantastic coney dog place near Frankenmuth.

I'm in just name the weekend. I can take a day's break from bowhunting. I'm in Big Rapids and can drive if anyone cares to share a ride. I remember Frankenmuth during my fast pitch softball days and playing tourney's there on weekends. As I recall there is a fantastic coney dog place near Frankenmuth.

Fastpitch eh? Didn't play myself but I pretty much grew up in that park. My dad played for the Black Label team for years.

What Coney place do you speak of? Can't think of any offhand...

LOL! Tony's is known for their bacon... I think I've only been there once. Can't say it was a particularly memorable experience but I know some people make it a habit to come up from downstate to eat there. Same with visiting chickenmuth..... Suppose that growing up nearby the allure wore off.

LOL! Tony's is known for their bacon... I think I've only been there once. Can't say it was a particularly memorable experience but I know some people make it a habit to come up from downstate to eat there. Same with visiting chickenmuth..... Suppose that growing up nearby the allure wore off.

You talking about Zender's??

Why am I not surprised that someone from Missouri knows about Zehnder's... I was talking about Frankenmuth in general. When you manage a hotel there for 5 years, all of the happenings and festivities get a little old. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy good beer and fried chicken, but I can get that from the grocery store...

Back