Oil settling issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is in my chest freezer and that is exactly 0 most of the time. It looks to me like the oil that I'm using is gonna be just fine as far as not seperating. I'm still not convinced that none of them will seperate. I think some do. I would be willing to bet that the synthetics are the culprits........Robb

synthetics are not the problem. Moisture in old fuel that set all winter is.:monkey:

Oil threads.:dizzy:

synthetics are not the problem. Moisture in old fuel that set all winter is.:monkey:

Oil threads.:dizzy:

If the candidate is willing perhaps he/she could try a couple of freeze/ thaw cycles on the mixed gas. Same apparatus, just keep the mixed fuel in the fridge overnight, remove each morning and place back in the fridge before bed. This should show how much moisture is pulled out of the air by the mixed fuel. Would be handy to do two tests, one with a sealed mason jar the other with a pin hole punched in the top. You might be able to do the same test by setting up two jars in the garage and just leaving them there for a month or two. I’ll bet you an obama commemorative dish that you will not get any visable H2O from this test!

Castor Oil

In a reply to MICHIGANDER

Yes, for sure the castor oil will separate. I noticed to mentioned racing motorcycles. I remember back in the 1970's we ran castor oil in some motocross bikes, it worked well. But you are correct; in the winter we had to watch it in our snowmobiles.

But this thread is on Synthetic Oils.

Which we all thought were goig to be the greatest thing since ever (even Obama, LOL,LOL). I run synthetic in just about everything. It is great; but there have been confirmed instances where things happened.
I am leading more to a chemical imbalance between SOME synthetics and the junk gas some localities are selling.

And it looks to get even worse, we all will have to experiment with what we have to work with.

Motobike

Oil settles to bottom

I notice before mixed that oil goes to the bottom of the can. Stands to reason that if it separates after mixed that the saw would get too much oil when first started as the fuel line draws off of the bottom. I have never had it separate under any condition myself.

I notice before mixed that oil goes to the bottom of the can. Stands to reason that if it separates after mixed that the saw would get too much oil when first started as the fuel line draws off of the bottom. I have never had it separate under any condition myself.

The amount of oil in a chainsaw gas tank would be very small and I would think that it wouldn't want to go through the filter as easily as the gasoline would. So if it ever did want to separate, the saw would probably suck the unmixed gas first. Robb

Back