Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the black top Wpro is the same carbon in a bottle crap that stihl orange is, maybe worse. If you're going to go Wpro go for the orange top synthetic. The black top Wpro is not jaso fc/fd, it's just fb, so i'm fairly certain its straight dino and not even a synth blend.

TCW3 is the rating for water cooled engines, not good for air cooled engines.

2-Cycle TCW III is a high performance engine oil that improves performance and dramatically reduces wear in two-cycle gasoline engines. It’s recommended for use in both pre-mixed and oil injected gasoline two-cycle engines in outboard motors, motorcycles, jet skis, chain saws, etc.

I haven't seen any water cooled chainsaws yet but i am sure they are coming LOL...Bob
http://www.royalpurple.com/2-cycle-oil.html

2-Cycle TCW III is a high performance engine oil that improves performance and dramatically reduces wear in two-cycle gasoline engines. It’s recommended for use in both pre-mixed and oil injected gasoline two-cycle engines in outboard motors, motorcycles, jet skis, chain saws, etc.

I haven't seen any water cooled chainsaws yet but i am sure they are coming LOL...Bob
http://www.royalpurple.com/2-cycle-oil.html

I ran Mercury Outboard 2 stroke oil in my saw, I figured if it was good enough for a $25,000 Outboard Motor it would good for a chainsaw "Nope" It Seized! an outboard motor runs at 150* and thats where that oil is designed to work, an air cooled chainsaw runs at 250* and needs oils that work in that range, I'm not saying there isn't an oil that does both but I'll use an oil that is specific for my app.

I like Stihl Ultra or amsoil saber pro at 50:1 with premium 10% ETOH. The ultra is nice as it comes in premeasured bottles. Saber I buy at my local NAPA in quarts and it is considerably cheaper but less convenient. No problems so far. Used to run Husky XP but the 4-mixers did not like the semi-synthetic blend.
Just save your stihl bottles and use them for your Saber Pro. I give all my stihl bottles to my buddy who uses Saber Pro.

I ran Mercury Outboard 2 stroke oil in my saw, I figured if it was good enough for a $25,000 Outboard Motor it would good for a chainsaw "Nope" It Seized! an outboard motor runs at 150* and thats where that oil is designed to work, an air cooled chainsaw runs at 250* and needs oils that work in that range, I'm not saying there isn't an oil that does both but I'll use an oil that is specific for my app.

Thats fine. Guess i will find out someday when i tear one down. I use RP oils in my machine shop and i can see the difference...Bob

There are two-stroke oils labelled to work in both air-cooled and water cooled applications, and given that 20 years ago, (mostly) all there was was dino oil with (sometimes) metallic additives or (maybe) a little synthetic content, you can still get by with it.

On low and medium-performance saws, like Husky 365, when not working the saw long and hard, and when you aren't hoping to get 1000 hrs between rebuilds.

Or when you only want top shelf stuff.

Today, the base oils and additive packages are different for each category, and in some cases, manufacturers spec out somewaht different things for each product: Bomardier supplies slightly different oils for PWC's, snomobiles, and Rotax engines used in things like Ultra light aircraft and airboats, while all are expected to operate on JASO FC/FD oils.

As to price, I have used <a href="http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/C10008.pdf">this product</a> as it has all the right stuff. The last gallon I bought was <a href="http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/663076002.pdf"> this label</a>; I think some markets/outlets are offered new packaging, but it's the same thing. There are also <a href="http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/663077002.pdf">similarly-labelled products for "summer" use</a>, but contain the same blends.

Its all $5 qt, $19/gallon

Last edited:
Oil has come miles these days. Gas has gone the other way. Focus on that. Stihl and Husky top shelf mixes are great if you burn alot of fuel. Others for karts and bikes are killer and smell like race day, but who can afford it if you cut more than a gallon a day?

I used to run the synthetic Mobile 2T in my enduro bike. I could go across country and always pick some up at a petrol station. Then for some reason Mobile stopped selling it in Oz, so I started using the synthetic Shell 2T for the same reason.

I decided to continue using the Shell 2T in the chainsaw. I figure it is a good synthetic oil by a major petrol chemical company that is used in various competition and street bikes (thus a high detergent level). Maybe when I finish the last two bottles of the Shell 2T, I will try some of the other more exotic oils, but it is hard to argue with 20 years of success.

i have a dolmar saw so i use dolmar oil,that way they cant say anything about warranty.plus i figure there oil is made for there saw so why not seems like good oil.

I use husky XP at about 45:1 to make up for this really crappy gas we have in upstate NY now. Its all 10% ethanol now. I only use 93 octane and then dump a bottle of star brite into 5 gallons.
No problems so far this year

Stihl Ultra @51.3:1 in Marathon 89 for a couple years now.

No reason to change.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Boy it takes a pair to bring that topic up. That damed old 88 you sold me will eat 2.5 gal of 93 tommrow again mixed with ultra cause i like the smell . Has any one used peanut oil for aux oil in a mill with stihl bar oil in the saw, i got a lot but dont want to ruin a new bar .

Latest posts

Back