Ok...Outgrown the Dremel....Foredom on the horizon...But..need info.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The title about says it all....I have an older dremel that is nice and does a good job on some things but when doing saw porting it is slow and bulky. So I've decided I have a need for a foredom flex shaft unit but upon looking on ebay I find there are a number of different units of different ages, rpm, dual rotation. amp ratings, different # hand pieces etc. I find myself woefully under educated in this matter. I don't require brand new if the older units are better built nor am I scared of buying a quality tool that is used. However if a 2 yr old unit or new one has more usable/user friendly features, accepts more/better attachments etc then maybe that's the way to go. What I'm asking is what is the best or better unit or combination of unit and accessories that I should look for?? This will not be used only for porting but other shop work as well. Just hate spend the $$$$ only to find that had I known I could have gotten a more useful/usable unit in the same price range. Please tell your thoughts, experience, advice, opinions, thoughts etc...Thanks in advance for all replies......:cheers:

The title about says it all....I have an older dremel that is nice and does a good job on some things but when doing saw porting it is slow and bulky. So I've decided I have a need for a foredom flex shaft unit but upon looking on ebay I find there are a number of different units of different ages, rpm, dual rotation. amp ratings, different # hand pieces etc. I find myself woefully under educated in this matter. I don't require brand new if the older units are better built nor am I scared of buying a quality tool that is used. However if a 2 yr old unit or new one has more usable/user friendly features, accepts more/better attachments etc then maybe that's the way to go. What I'm asking is what is the best or better unit or combination of unit and accessories that I should look for?? This will not be used only for porting but other shop work as well. Just hate spend the $$$$ only to find that had I known I could have gotten a more useful/usable unit in the same price range. Please tell your thoughts, experience, advice, opinions, thoughts etc...Thanks in advance for all replies......:cheers:

Get the real thing, especially made and designed for small engine porting,

Porting and Polishing #15 Small 2 Stroke Kit | ccspecialtytool.com

The foredom motors are fine. I would get the cc specialty handpiece of your choice. They are stronger and won't break as easily.

There are different grades of Foredom. And prices to match. Repair parts are seldom a problem.
However.....
Most are still high end hobby.
If you can find a Dumore, do it. Will run for years and has real balls.
But that being said, it is overkill for most.
I mentioned Dumore because you are looking at used and aren't as well known outside of the factory.
And Dumore is still mid level.
High end is 5k. Ouch.
My Dumores are on loan and I may never get them back. ;-((
They send back the Foredoms....If I send both.

But if buying new. Go for the Foredom. Just look at models and motors.
My $.02

The foredom motors are fine. I would get the cc specialty handpiece of your choice. They are stronger and won't break as easily.

So I take it that if one had an older Foredom, a new cc right angle handpiece would simply attach to Foredom flex shaft with no problem?? They have a unversal type connection?? Sorry to sound so simple but have never used any of these tools...just trying to understand the limits of brand interaction. Thanks...

There are different grades of Foredom. And prices to match. Repair parts are seldom a problem.
However.....
Most are still high end hobby.
If you can find a Dumore, do it. Will run for years and has real balls.
But that being said, it is overkill for most.
I mentioned Dumore because you are looking at used and aren't as well known outside of the factory.
And Dumore is still mid level.
High end is 5k. Ouch.
My Dumores are on loan and I may never get them back. ;-((
They send back the Foredoms....If I send both.

But if buying new. Go for the Foredom. Just look at models and motors.
My $.02

Thanks Rob... Do you have any suggestions as to what models, abilities, (rpm, forward/reverse etc.), age, etc would most preferable in the Foredom line. I don't intend to go into porting much beyond the enthusiast level. Just am a tool using human and have little patience for cheap tools be it in my work or hobbies...that said I am cheep and do want to invest wisely...the old saying "never time to do it right, but always time to do it over" comes into play here. I want to upgrade but not beyond my abilities or foreseeable future abilities. Generally I always try to buy the best I can afford and as said, not shy about buying better quality used tools rather than poorer quality new tools.

The cc will work on foredoms and even the cheap harbor freight motor that looks like a foredom. I know a few people have went that way. A good handpiece and a cheap motor. If you're not doing a lot of work I'm sure the cheaper motor would work fine.

The cc will work on foredoms and even the cheap harbor freight motor that looks like a foredom. I know a few people have went that way. A good handpiece and a cheap motor. If you're not doing a lot of work I'm sure the cheaper motor would work fine.

Exxcellent...good info...nice to know a number of these items will interchange.....I would most likely would not go the Harbor Freight route.....but good to know!! I assume that when doing fine work a better hand piece would really show it's valve more, rather than a good motor especially in alum...where power would not be an issue so much.....This is the kind of info I am seeking...Thanks..

I've got a little CP right angle die grinder that isn't much bigger than the collet nut at the drive head. Cost around $100 new, but well worth it.

http://www.ingersollrandproducts.co...angle-die-grinders/301b-air-angle-die-grinder

This is similar to mine. I thought it was a CP, but it might be an IR. I've owned it almost a decade, and it's 110 miles away.
IR has lots of specialty die grinders - porting is almost what they were originally made for (working on stamping "dies" ). Those flex shaft tool's bearings aren't going to take kindly to hogging material. They're meant for carving details with tiny burrs.

Thanks for the link....still looks a little big for getting down onto the upper transfers in a 50MM bore. You're probably right about the bearings but since I would be working alum in a single saw cyl at a time..... really not a lot compared to working the heads on ..say a V8.. so far the cc hand piece with a suitable power unit looks to be the best for what I'm looking to do... I may get one of the right angle IR die grinders anyway though...to go with the straight one I have now...Thanks

Yeah, Im not sure that would fit in a 56mm bore and be able to use it much. I looked for air right angle tools before I got my stuff, They isn't anything out there small enough to do the job in an air tool :msp_sad:.

I ended up getting a CC Specialty 182A MC handpiece and a HF motor. I didn't wanna drop the money for the CC, but I wanted something to accept 1/8 bits/burs that are easily available.....so I pulled the trigger. Couldn't be happier with it :msp_w00t:!

Yeah, Im not sure that would fit in a 56mm bore and be able to use it much. I looked for air right angle tools before I got my stuff, They isn't anything out there small enough to do the job in an air tool :msp_sad:.

I ended up getting a CC Specialty 182A MC handpiece and a HF motor. I didn't wanna drop the money for the CC, but I wanted something to accept 1/8 bits/burs that are easily available.....so I pulled the trigger. Couldn't be happier with it :msp_w00t:!

Thanks....this is the kind of info I am looking for...what will work and what won't..all useful info.

So the HF power unit has good power and runs smooth?? How about sound? Loud?? Louder than say, a Foredom??

Just trying toget a feel for what's out there...... Thanks

Thanks....this is the kind of info I am looking for...what will work and what won't..all useful info.

So the HF power unit has good power and runs smooth?? How about sound? Loud?? Louder than say, a Foredom??

Just trying toget a feel for what's out there...... Thanks

I greased up the cord right off the bat. It works well for the money. It has PLENTY of power. Im sure its not as nice and quite as a Foredom or a CC motor, but the HF doesn't have near the $$$$$ either. If mine ever goes, Ill chunk it and buy another HF......:) . Don't expect nothing of the HF handpiece that comes with the kit :msp_thumbdn:.

Did you bother to check their other tools? That's not their small line.

I use mine porting intake runners that are 3/4" across.

Did you bother to check their other tools? That's not their small line.

I use mine porting intake runners that are 3/4" across.

I did not find any items that would do what you need for small saws...the transfers are typically 3/8" to 5/16" and then the work has to be done in thousanths and when working in 50MM bores this requires very small head stocks and slim hand pieces indeed....

Latest posts

Back