Ok...Outgrown the Dremel....Foredom on the horizon...But..need info.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because of this thread I have spent money. Dagnabit!! HF motor should be here next week, and the two new handpieces from Foredom. I have to save up for those super-kewl CC Specialties. Will spend some time researching for carbide files to git-er-done!

The Foredom APPEARS to be a round shaft with a swaged drive

Yes, the foredom is a round shaft with a swaged drive. They also have a square drive model but the CC handpiece only has an adaptor to the swaged drive. I bet the gents at CC could make an adaptor to fit any major drive motor though. Give them a call they are very friendly and helpful.

Received my Chinese copy of the Foredom set-up from HF. First thing I did was to unscrew the drive off the motor and pull back the squiggly rubber casing. Grease is an afterthought. Must be expensive stuff in China because it looks like they waved a tub of grease in the general direction of the drive rather than smear some on. I'm gonna go outside and lube mine up.

You guys who have the HF did you pump grease down the bore of the drive cover or just smear some all over the spring thingy?

Received my Chinese copy of the Foredom set-up from HF. First thing I did was to unscrew the drive off the motor and pull back the squiggly rubber casing. Grease is an afterthought. Must be expensive stuff in China because it looks like they waved a tub of grease in the general direction of the drive rather than smear some on. I'm gonna go outside and lube mine up.

You guys who have the HF did you pump grease down the bore of the drive cover or just smear some all over the spring thingy?

Disassemble, grease shaft,reassemble.

Disassemble, grease shaft,reassemble.

As long as it dont have a specialty lining that reacts to grease.
did that once,dint think cable was lubed enuf,greased it,lining swelled,cable dead :(
if just metal to metal little lube is needed.

If I could post a picture....oh well

From the Book of Foredom, book 3, chapter 2:

Remove sheath from flexible shaft, wipe off any remaining grease and lubricate LIGHTLY every 50 hours of use.

After every 200 hours of use, clean shaft with solvent before lubricating.

Good catch Ron. LIGHTLY grease.

They call it No.10006 Flexible Shaft Lubricant

That would suck. I used Foredom grease on Foredom shaft. I'll try to see what it is listed as.

Heard from a friend of mine today,,used wrong type of tranny fluid in his car..dead tranny,he used tranny fluid tho !!
all lubes are NOT the same..
would you use outboard motor oil in your saw ??
the foredom lube may not be compatible with the plastic ( if any ) sheathing in the shaft and cable.
same with people using 10-30 in thier lawnmowers or air comps when it call for straight 30w..
being a machinist i am sure you Rob know about diff lubes :)
would you use bacon grease on a wheel bearing ?? would smell good tho :)
choice of lubricants when and if needed is a critical part of any machinery and not to be taken lightly.
just "going out to grease it up " needs a little more forethought..
just sayin,my opinion only.

Heard from a friend of mine today,,used wrong type of tranny fluid in his car..dead tranny,he used tranny fluid tho !!
all lubes are NOT the same..
would you use outboard motor oil in your saw ??
the foredom lube may not be compatible with the plastic ( if any ) sheathing in the shaft and cable.
same with people using 10-30 in thier lawnmowers or air comps when it call for straight 30w..
being a machinist i am sure you Rob know about diff lubes :)
would you use bacon grease on a wheel bearing ?? would smell good tho :)
choice of lubricants when and if needed is a critical part of any machinery and not to be taken lightly.
just "going out to grease it up " needs a little more forethought..
just sayin,my opinion only.

Not an opinion. A fact. Some folks confuse the too.

But as you know, even in instructions with the equipment people consider it a guideline. Sadly.

30wt oil in 203 transfer cases.

Nitro...does the chineese book suggest anything to do/use about cable lube??

Nope, nothing whatsoever. The instructions do speak of maintenance, but only regarding a general, "maintain the chuck properly", and the same for the motor. Nothing is said on how to maintain with the exception of the motor brushes. I'll use No. 2 Lubriplate.

Nope, nothing whatsoever. The instructions do speak of maintenance, but only regarding a general, "maintain the chuck properly", and the same for the motor. Nothing is said on how to maintain with the exception of the motor brushes. I'll use No. 2 Lubriplate.

I think #2 Lubriplate would work...but here a little info on shaft lube from these folks....very light coat lube is what I would use......they say NO oil..don't know if the oil would actually chemically damage the shaft or simply run to the low end leaving the upper end dry....causing damage...

Inner Shaft #93 | ccspecialtytool.com

Latest posts

Back