Ok so please don't respond if your too young to remember

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok choose your option

• #1 Safety leak

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • #2 common sense fuel can

Votes: 88 91.7%
  • #3 I only come here to feel I'm a man

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
I have a few old style plastic gas cans that I use for my lawn tractor, boat, or generator. They work great for that, but for my small 2cycle equipment I use a No Spill 1 gal can. The No Spill can is a great can, easy to use and no more overfilling or spilling.

best can/jug ive ever used for lugging fuel and bar oil into the deep woods was a 1/2 gallon bleach jug! if needing more fuel/oil than a 1/2 gallon its got to be a good chilton easy to spill red gas can in the 1gal.+= epa hated, friendly, best investment ever made!!!! cant wait till garage sale season to start to find some more red/gold!!!! choke on that E.P.A.!!:laugh::msp_biggrin:

best can/jug ive ever used for lugging fuel and bar oil into the deep woods was a 1/2 gallon bleach jug! if needing more fuel/oil than a 1/2 gallon its got to be a good chilton easy to spill red gas can in the 1gal.+= epa hated, friendly, best investment ever made!!!! cant wait till garage sale season to start to find some more red/gold!!!! choke on that E.P.A.!!:laugh::msp_biggrin:

1/2 gallon jug is great unless you have the big bore, couple BRAPPPS and it's over :laugh: I agree with the garage sale hunt, the last two non bull#### cans I have came from a yard sale :clap:

2 1/2 gallon oil jug over those pieces of crap.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

I STILL have 2 plastic 5 gal cans with the flexible, accordian plastic spouts. But they both leak and the tape ain't gonna hold forever.:msp_angry:

When I bought my new generator I decided I needed a new gasoline container to keep an extra 6-gallon back-up for it (like 3 years ago). So I drive to town and discovered a guy can’t buy a regular gas can anymore, they’re all some silly vent-less, “safety” design… seriously, I had no clue the “old” containers were gone. Well, what’s a fella’ gonna’ do? I bought one.

What a joke!
First of all it took near a half hour to pour 6-gallon out of the stupid thing.
And second… I only got around 4-gallon in the generator because close to 2-gallon leaked all over the gravel driveway.

Enough was enough. I ripped all that spring loaded crap out of the spout (no wonder they leak, bunch’a cheesy seals and baffles in there), then drilled a hole and installed a proper vent. Now the darn thing works just like the old standby cans always did.

I have some of the old style plastic cans, I purchase and mix in one of those, then the mix gets transferred to the quart metal cans, the store bought pre mix stuff. Its worth buying some quarts just to get the cans! Perfect size to slip into a jacket pocket, real easy to pour into any saw.

When I was working ironwork, I was "made" to use the metal safety cans for insurance reasons. But I could never get those pieces of crap to pour into a welding machine, even with a funnel, without a spill of some kind. It was worse that ever I one of the men poured it. And you are right about the plastic things. Exactly as you say.

I have one plastic one I get the corn free gasoline in and that's it. I use to have five when I use the fifth wheel a lot for generator gasoline. The old bar oil jugs are the best. I mix it up from the corn free gasoline and the Stihl oil with stabilizer in it. So far so good. If y'all find a way around this things let us all know. Please.

The best gas cans out there and I mean the best ones money can buy are the VP Race Cans. They aren't safety cans with all that EPA crap and they have filters in them to siphon out the crap that might get in your saw. All you do is crack the vent and pour. Easy as that!

Here is a link to the cans:

VP racing gas cans, VP racing fuel containers

The best gas cans out there and I mean the best ones money can buy are the VP Race Cans. They aren't safety cans with all that EPA crap and they have filters in them to siphon out the crap that might get in your saw. All you do is crack the vent and pour. Easy as that!

Interesting does that spout come with it or is it a separate item?

Shane, did you read the description? Good luck getting it filled at a gas station.
From the website ---->NOTE: The VP Motorsport Container is intended only for use as a rapid refueling device for
racing vehicles used in professional off road and closed course competition racing events. It is
NOT a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB or other state or federal agencies.
Intended for racing fuel only; not to be used for street legal fuels.

PS, we use them for sled, 4 wheeler and dirt bike fuel. We use the safety cans for our lawnmowers on the highway trailers. Don't need any extra tickets for improper fuel storage.

dave, we have the plastic single spout cans here. I have a supply of the old ones but almost impossible to find the old yellow spouts for them. I go to alot of auction sales so I will have enough for awhile, just bought a bunch of spouts a couple of weeks ago.

The 'Safety Can' in the first post is a 'Type I' can. Not really fond of them.

Have used and don't mind the 'Type II' Safety Cans.

Philbert

attachment.php

They are designed to 'burp' to relieve pressure, instead of exploding. Couple of bungies keep them from flopping over - not something I want with any fuel container.

Philbert

True there but bungie's wont cut it on our mountains maybe a nylon strap and rachet. That one is better but still not my favorite but at least its useable. I don't want anything besides me burping in my truck lol.

These are Awesome for taking to the station for filling and putting in the shed to use from. I don't have the need for 5 gallons of fuel when I'm cutting firewood unless I drag the splitter with me.

Shane, did you read the description? Good luck getting it filled at a gas station.
From the website ---->NOTE: The VP Motorsport Container is intended only for use as a rapid refueling device for
racing vehicles used in professional off road and closed course competition racing events. It is
NOT a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB or other state or federal agencies.
Intended for racing fuel only; not to be used for street legal fuels.

PS, we use them for sled, 4 wheeler and dirt bike fuel. We use the safety cans for our lawnmowers on the highway trailers. Don't need any extra tickets for improper fuel storage.

dave, we have the plastic single spout cans here. I have a supply of the old ones but almost impossible to find the old yellow spouts for them. I go to alot of auction sales so I will have enough for awhile, just bought a bunch of spouts a couple of weeks ago.

I buy most of my gas at Walmart, but have gotten it at many other places. I've never had a single problem filling these VP Containers. Dirt Track Racing is Big around here and you'll be hard pressed to see a Dirt Track hauler without a few of these on board and full of Racing Fuel.

We've been using these suckers for years! And you can still buy em everyday at your local hardware store, even Walmart still sells em.
Google Image Result for http://img2.etsystatic.com/000/0/5976166/il_fullxfull.187543342.jpg

Back