OK, this might be a dumb question....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTElectric

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
But I'm going to ask anyhow. I just read a post how a salesman told one of you that a Husky was better than a Stihl because "the bearings are better", which I'm pretty sure is BS. Anyhow, since I'm going to have Dolmars in my shop, and of course I want to sell them, as I think they're a great saw, but that doesn't mean every model beats every comparable saw from Husky or Stihl....

What I'm asking is, and I don't want to start a snowball fight here, is WHAT, exactly, is *better* about each, from your honest experience? I know that this could potentially be a deadly 30 page thread, but that's not what I'm after.

Stuff like, Dolmar I see uses Stainless Steel mufflers, at least on some of them. Do they all? I don't know much about the other brands, and I'm not trying to gather info to knock on Stihl or Husky, I'm just gathering info so I don't sound like a moron if someone asks me a question. I'm an honest guy, which is why I'm a lousy salesman!! :dizzy: Anyhow, I know opinions are going to weigh in on this, and please don't turn this into an argument :givebeer: about which is better, just want the facts on *WHY* some things are better. I did a search, but didn't really see what I was after, but I've done a ton of reading on here, and learned a lot!

For instance, how are the repair parts prices? Are any of them drastically better/worse on fuel consumption? That kind of stuff. And, if anyone wants to tell me to shut up and go read :buttkick: , post a link for me and I'd appreciate it! Thanks in advance, Justin

Well,

I saw that thread also, MS660 vs 372XP I believe. Although these are not comparable saws (21cc displacement difference) a better sales pitch would have been the truth. The Husqvarna saw is significantly better at air filtration (contrary to what others will say), and is smoother due to spring mount anti-vibe vs rubber bushed. The 372 is lots easier on fuel and will (IMO) outcut the 660 in wood up to 18". It will cut right with a 660 up to 22-24" wood and after that the 660 starts to shine. If you use 28" or longer bars the 660 completely outperforms the 372. For ripping all Stihl saws clear chips better than their Husky counterparts (inboard or outboard clutch). So if you are bucking/felling/ripping big wood and/or milling MS660 or comparable Husqvara (395xp) though they have the outboard clutch which is sometimes a pain. If you are bucking/felling or using it as all around saw then 372XP or comparable Stihl (MS440/441/460). The 372 will do almost everything the 660 will do, just slower when the wood gets big.

I do applaud you for researching before you sell. It aggravates me to no end to walk into a saw shop and have someone try to sell you a saw by giving you a line of BS jargon. Kudos to you. If I knew more about the Dolmars I would help out, but I don't. If you search specific models like "346 5100" or "7900 460" in the advanced search and check titles only there will be comparison threads. I can tell you that Stihl parts are more expensive than just about everything else but are readily available in just about every town/county in the US, although I am sure that there are exceptions.

Aberdeen is'nt too far from Miller is it? I will be there next week to Pheasant hunt. Might slide over one day if there is time.

Last edited:
Are any of them drastically better/worse on fuel consumption?
I don't know if Stihl bearings are better than Husky or if Dolmar parts are better or which bar & chain is best... All the models designed to sell to professional users have to be well made or they would not sell simply because only high quality holds up under the extreme conditions a saw gets used in professionally. One thing I did not see in several years in the logging buisness was the preference of one brand over another based on fuel consumption. Durability and performance seem to be such important factors in selecting which saw to buy that I don't think fuel consumption issues make much difference to a professional user. Your right, it would be another endless thread about everyones experience with which brand is best so far as quality, power, durability, ect., is concerned, but I doubt you'll get much dissagreement in a thread about fuel consumption when it comes to saws. Unless maybe if the difference was really drastic, but I don't think there is that much fuel consumption difference between any of the brands. In my experience, paying for regular unleaded gas with 10 percent ethanol or $8.99 per gallon for quality 110 octane gas is not near as much of an important issue as how long my chain will stay sharp when I'm trying to keep up with 3 grapple skidders and 8 log trucks.
twocents.gif
:)

I .... For ripping all Stihl saws clear chips better than their Husky counterparts (inboard or outboard clutch). So if you are bucking/felling/ripping big wood and/or milling MS660 or comparable Husqvara (395xp) though they have the outboard clutch which is sometimes a pain. ....

Good post, but the above is false regarding the Husky 371 and 385 family saws.......:)

Just a suggestion -- you might get a better response if you change the title of your thread.

Yes, you're right, but I was worried about starting fires! :) Thanks for your input everyone!

Muley, Miller is about 2 hours I believe, it's been a while since I've been down that way! I think I'm pretty much straight north. It would be great to see someone from the board that could give me some advice! Thanks again, Justin

Dolmar needs to get the name out more, they make a great saw. The 5100 and 7900 are the top dogs in the saw world. Stihl nor husky has made a saw comparable to their size or performance.

Some more fyi, the Makitas are rebadged Dolmars and the 6401 can use the 7900 top end for a very light, very powerful saw. Get your inventory stocked and sell 'em hard. Having looked at all 3, Stihl, Dolmar and husky, the Dolmar seems to be built close to that of a Stihl. So in order of quality, I say Stihl Dolmar huksy.

Thanks, I actually knew a long time ago that Dolmar made Makita stuff, since I was an authorized Makita service center here in my shop for power tools. I have done a ton of reading on here, and I'll keep my ears open. :)

Here's what I have coming in, after asking lots of people what they're interested in, personal experience, and posts on here:

1-PS-34, 14" homeowner 34cc saw, about $200 bucks

3-PS-420 16" 42c, higher end homeowner/firewood saw. I like these! About $280

2- PS-510-18", 50cc, 5100s little brother, a little heavier, but less exp. About $320

1-PS-5100-18" that was going to be mine, but I may go 20"...$400ish

2-PS-5100-20", couple guys already asking about these, I'm pretty sure one will be gone the day they come in. About $400

Plus combo helmets, chaps, freebie bar oil, synthetic,2 stroke oil, and I'm also going to be getting that Oregon hydraulic assist sharpener pretty quick too I think, so I can take care of the customer 100%, start to finish. Of course, all the saws will be sold wet, and I will run test all of them prior to sale, so the customer can buy it and use it, not spend an hour dinking around with it.
How did I do? Remember, this isn't a timber market, it's a firewood/cleanup market. :)

Last edited:
Dolmar needs to get the name out more, they make a great saw. The 5100 and 7900 are the top dogs in the saw world. Stihl nor husky has made a saw comparable to their size or performance.

Some more fyi, the Makitas are rebadged Dolmars and the 6401 can use the 7900 top end for a very light, very powerful saw. Get your inventory stocked and sell 'em hard. Having looked at all 3, Stihl, Dolmar and husky, the Dolmar seems to be built close to that of a Stihl. So in order of quality, I say Stihl Dolmar huksy.

I say Husky, Stihl, Dolmar. Opinions vary, just know what you are selling and know it well. If you can sell your product, you won't have to worry about a customer leaving your place to look at other saws.

Noodles

Good post, but the above is false regarding the Husky 371 and 385 family saws.......:)

Well Saw Troll, I beg to differ. I have ripped with My 660 and 361 next to the 372 (with the inboard clutch). For some reason it seems to me that both those Stihl saws clears noodles noticeably better than the 372, others here have observed the same. I don't know that much about the 385, maybe it has a better chip channel than the 372. I would assume models with outboard clutch would not clear chips as well. Though it has been said that the same inboard design that allows the Stihls to clear better when ripping makes the clutch heat faster during milling? For everything else, (with the exception of very small stuff) the 372 is the go to saw for me.

Last edited:
Well Saw Troll, I beg to differ. I have ripped with My 660 and 361 next to the 372 (with the outboard clutch). For some reason it seems to me that both those Stihl saws clears noodles noticeably better than the 372, others here have observed the same. I don't know that much about the 385, maybe it has a better chip channel than the 372. I would assume models with outboard clutch would not clear chips as well. Though it has been said that the same inboard design that allows the Stihls to clear better when ripping makes the clutch heat faster during milling? For everything else, (with the exception of very small stuff) the 372 is the go to saw for me.

May be, but the 372xp etc definatly has an inboard clutch.......:cheers:

Husky beats the 5100 imo, but not the 7900 - Stihl is nowhere close at the 5100, unless the 361 counts - for me it does......:)

I know Troll

For ripping all Stihl saws clear chips better than their Husky counterparts (inboard or outboard clutch).

Yep! Outboard was a typo in the second post, sorry.

Last edited:
You're asking your customers what they want, and why. Keep doing this and you'll be fine. Happy selling :) I'm starting my own company soon, it's very scary and immense fun.

Back