Ok, who else hasn't stacked any wood yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We bucked up most of next years wood and stacked it in the woods as we went. We need to pull the splitter out there and get busy but between the bugs and the rain, we've been holding off. Also took down five nice size Oaks for the following year. I'll have a good 12 full cords of seasoned oak for this year, 10 or more for next year and working on extra. If we'd get a few dry weekends it sure would be nice. This fall I'll be a busy guy for sure.

We spent a lot of time cutting trails in the woods and hope to get in to the ash as soon as things dry out a little. That will make the pile grow fast.

I've got about a cord of elm and a little ash over in a friends woods I split back in april that still needs to be stacked. But its all bottom land along a creek and with all the rain its a bit soggy down there. Plus all the weeds too. Then I have 2 popular trees in my woods partally cut up I need to finish cutting up and haul down the hill to split. Primarly for me it's been rain preventing any getting done outside.

ain't even picked up the maul this year yet, wood just sitting looking at me, but way to warm to even think about it. luckly most is down and dead fall from a few years ago, so should see us alright.

Turned my wood shed into a greenhouse as a experiment, Tomato's are growing great, cost to me £0. some old plastice roof sheets from our carport refurb. If it all works out by the time the tom's are done should get the wood in before the bad weather sets.

+1. If you fail to stack as you go along, you will eventually build a huge pile that you will never stack and much of your wood will never be burned.

Procrastination will eat you alive.

I used to suffer from BPS - big pile syndrome. Would get like 3 cords that looked like the burial tarn for a deceased Ent next to the splitstump.

Yanked a slightly used extra wheelbarrow from the town scrap pile a while back. Keep it near where I dump the rounds. Nowadays, I load up the barrow as I split. When it's full, I just wheel on down to the end of the stacks, pile it up, and get back to splitting.

In addition to alleviating my BPS, it helps my physical endurance since the day's work is more evenly distributed over different muscles...and not just my mauling muscles, etc.

Alright...I feel a little better knowing that I ain't the only looohwhohoooszer in the bunch! This week I will take the splitter to the downed trees & see what we can get done. Pic's to follow..............

RD

WoodBooga said, "In addition to alleviating my BPS, it helps my physical endurance since the day's work is more evenly distributed over different muscles...and not just my mauling muscles, etc."
-----------------
That's a very good point. Stacking and splitting are two different exercises and two different skills for the brain to work on. A good stack needs atttention just like a good series of splits does. Leave the split wood in a random pile and the work is not finished.

And, variety is the spice of life!

I have about 2.5 cords of hackberry CSS and another cord of red oak, hickory, and beech on the end. I'm hoping the hackberry will be good by the year. According to what I've read about it it should be. The rest was either standing dead or dead on the ground for a few years before I got a hold of it.

The other two stacks (about 2.5 cords) are mainly red oak with some chestnut oak, white oak, and maple.

I have really now clue how much I'll need for next year. My first year burning (last year) was a nightmare because I didn't have any wood ready. It sucks scrounging in the snow. Anyway I wasn't able to really quantify my needs. Hopefully I can get by with the hackberry and other dead stuff and keep the other two stacks an extra season to get good and dry.

I have about 2.5 cords of hackberry CSS and another cord of red oak, hickory, and beech on the end. I'm hoping the hackberry will be good by the year. According to what I've read about it it should be. The rest was either standing dead or dead on the ground for a few years before I got a hold of it.

The other two stacks (about 2.5 cords) are mainly red oak with some chestnut oak, white oak, and maple.

I have really no clue how much I'll need for next year. My first year burning (last year) was a nightmare because I didn't have any wood ready. It sucks scrounging in the snow. Anyway I wasn't able to really quantify my needs. Hopefully I can get by with the hackberry and other dead stuff and keep the other two stacks an extra season to get good and dry.
Sounds good, Brandon. Lots of folks scrounged in the snow and ice last year. Worst winter I've seen in 30 years.

Get about 5 dry cords in this time. That's 10 pickup truckloads to be on the safe side. Always save the greener stuff for March and April. Hackberry takes longer to dry than most people think. All berrywoods do.

Fastest drying woods are maple, ash, cottonwood, poplar, brown birch, and white elm. Oak takes a year at least.

Thanks Doc. The Hackberry has been split and stacked since the beginning of April. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that by the end October it will be good to go. Even if it is not all the way down to 20% it will be way better than what I was burning last year. My wife and friends keep telling me I have enough wood, and think I'm crazy for wanting more. I just do not want to go through what I went through last year ever again. I want to be able to enjoy using my stove and not stressing about finding wood.

I am the ant.

firewood

im all set have 26 cords stacked good for 3 years good luck

Last edited:
Hired a few teenagers

This year has been crazy busy for us too, I finally hired a few teenagers to come over and spend a saturday splitting and stacking. Best money I ever spent :)

This Winter's (2010/2011) wood is all stacked out side. This fall I will stack it all down cellar. Next Winter's (2011/2012) wood is almoast all cut down, I just need to cut it up, split it, and stack it out side.

I'm not ready

Crazy spring/early summer here too! Started the 3-4 day remodel....4 weeks ago and now work picks up and I'm gone another 3 weeks. The huge trees down on my property are gonna have to cut/split/stack themselves!

My wife and I are arguing every weekend about which projects get my time, I am pressing to fill out the last 5 cords of the 10 that we need for winter, she needs a lot of other stuff taken care of "can't that wait?"

I have this dream in which I actually have all my wood split and stacked BEFORE the heating season begins - just as likely to happen as so many other fantasies.....

This year has been crazy busy for us too, I finally hired a few teenagers to come over and spend a saturday splitting and stacking. Best money I ever spent :)
Where did you find teenagers, that wanna work??:):)

This summer has been real bad as far as rain goes, all the wood i cut this winter and spring are just sitting out in the woods cause my roads are to wet to haul out anything. bout 2 months ago i got my tractor stuck trying to get some out :censored: only thing that concerns me is its all alder, so i dont want it to get punky, i should be good though., splitting will be nice n easy. i have between 10-15 cord bucked up now, am hoping to double that before october.....:censored:

might have to take out a few more nice saw logs to inflate my stack.. its kinda slow going thinning for firewood.

Last edited:
Where did you find teenagers, that wanna work??:):)

My 2 boys are always willing (not always happy about it though) and the other two were from our Church. I have found that home schooled teenage boys tend to not be afraid of work. I paid them $10/hr so that helped some :)

Too little time, worsening back

Too many projects for 1 able body person to do during weekends. From digging trenches for replacing sump pump lines to general yard work. Let alone the wood sorting since we did not need the 5.88 cords we had planned on for last winter and we needed only 2.9. Only ran furnace during vacation. So we are almost set but with no reserve for next Winter at the house.

My back problem is steadily getting worse so my wife does nearly all the work and my brothers or dad come to help. I can lift, but not carry and walk with any weight such as log that weighs more than 20#. The 361 is really pushing my limit of endurance.

I have a hitch on front of truck so I can drive and very easily maneuver the trailer on side of garage to the stacks. We load the trailer up by hand back the truck out and then move truck inside the garage to bins where we stack it by hand for easy access during winter. These 3 bins hold about 3 cords total combined. It is alot of work by hand but no money for a tractor would rather have a bigger trailer.

At the property there is plenty of wood to be split that is seasoned but the splitter died for a few weeks. I guess it is fixed now though. The stacked unsplit seasoned wood is enough for 2 years but there are always dead trees to be cut to stay ahead of the game. What we need is a larger trailer to bring home more than 1 face cord at a time from property for a worthwhile trip.

WE did score on a large Red Oak that fell in my brother's yard during a storm, it should yield over a cord. They used my saw and I get the wood,great deal. It was live and solid with only a few ants in a very small section. Not sure if it will be ready for next season so am counting it for year after. I am slowly transferring to and stacking the wood at our house.

Let alone the wood sorting since we did not need the 5.88 cords we had planned on for last winter and we needed only 2.9.

OK, I have to ask : how the hell did you get to hundredths of cords?

My math usually works like this : eh, I've got about 6 to 6.5 cords stacked and another on the ground. More precision - I count that in # of beers per job.

Take it easy, hope that back heals soon. I'm only 30 but I can't see doing the wood hustle when I'm an old timer. After splitting about 6 cords in a week with a splitter my shoulders were shot for the next 3 weeks! It doesn't help I weigh a buck fifty five.

Back