Old Growth Cedar Windthrow. What's a fair price for a landowner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So finally finalized this. They're gonna whack it all up on the ground into blocks then helicopter it out to the road. I don't have to lift a finger. Money will paid to me on the day the helicopter flies the wood the road. This will be a quick process and allow me to personally take an accurate reading of the amount of wood going out and get an exact measurement once the wood is loaded into the bins for haul off.

Good. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.

I have a few acres that has never been logged and is covered with old-growth cedar. The windthrows are laying on top of ground, many of them on top of each other. I have around 15 total (that are huge). 6 feet up the trees are about 8 feet in diameter and go from there. There is also a lot of smaller but still old growth stuff covered up on the ground that I believe is suitable. I won't be harvesting any standing timber except for the possibility of a few snags. Anyways,

I was quoted $250 a cord by the time it made it to the mill by two operators. This seems low to me @ a quote of $850 a cord at the mill. (Mill is 45 miles away)

Would I benefit by renting my own equipment (and having a professional excavator operator, a friend operate it) and hiring a logging truck to take it to the mill or is something that should only be trusted to a professional timber harvester?
Where are you located in WA? and don't haul it to the mill with out the permit it's a felony ! I may be able to help you with figuring it out for less money and more profitable for you and have all the equipment skidder saws everything

Where are you located in WA? and don't haul it to the mill with out the permit it's a felony ! I may be able to help you with figuring it out for less money and more profitable for you and have all the equipment skidder saws everything
dude this thread is 10 years old

I believe you and it is not good to mess around with DNR or FS and it should be a felony as well, otherwise every slapdick poacher could go load up their truck and head for the mill and nodoubt, leave a path of destruction in the forests in the process!

forehead-slap-slapping-forehead.gif

its a felony!!!!! gasp no permit!!!
um yeah, no... Its a felony to steal from the FS/DNR its a code violation to haul your own wood, like rebuilding your deck without a permit.

So I know this is an old thread, but I have never heard of this- it is really a violation in WA? for someone to haul their own logs to the mill? That seems insane to me.
I believe you and it is not good to mess around with DNR or FS and it should be a felony as well, otherwise every slapdick poacher could go load up their truck and head for the mill and nodoubt, leave a path of destruction in the forests in the process!

So in your mind someone should not be able to load logs off their own property and haul them to the mill? I sure am glad you're not my neighbor.

So I know this is an old thread, but I have never heard of this- it is really a violation in WA? for someone to haul their own logs to the mill? That seems insane to me.

So in your mind someone should not be able to load logs off their own property and haul them to the mill? I sure am glad you're not my neighbor.
yeah, yer supossed to get a forestry permit.

but yer also supossed to get a permit to build a fence, deck, reroof and a bunch of other rediculous BS that is simply a ploy to bilk homeowners out of money.

though, the "punishment" is double permit fees, and a moratorium on further development, certainly not prison

cutting cedar blocks and hauling them without a permit, can get you into hot water, especially if they think you've been taking it from gov land, but taking logs to a mill, no one cares

yeah, yer supossed to get a forestry permit.

but yer also supossed to get a permit to build a fence, deck, reroof and a bunch of other rediculous BS that is simply a ploy to bilk homeowners out of money.

though, the "punishment" is double permit fees, and a moratorium on further development, certainly not prison

cutting cedar blocks and hauling them without a permit, can get you into hot water, especially if they think you've been taking it from gov land, but taking logs to a mill, no one cares

Thanks for the clarification. While we have building permits and such here, I had never heard of forestry permits.

Latest posts

Back