Old Growth Cedar Windthrow. What's a fair price for a landowner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was under the impression that trapping beaver was a no no? If'n not than I know a whole bunch of people that would probably pay you to get rid of the beavers on their property, especially if the dams they built go with em... the critters are all right I guess its the sudden reclassification as wetlands that bothers most people... how does one cook beaver or otter anyway? There is just too much room for skhool boy humor here by the way.

:arg:

Trapping is totally legal in WA. The types of traps we can use are restricted. We trap for two reasons. One is for damage control. The other is for the fur. I am licensed as a fur trapper and further licensed as a Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator, meaning I can trap for hire out of season for problem animals.
Furbearing animals are not usually trapped for human consumption. Some people do eat beaver but never otter.
Oh, I have heard all the bad jokes numerous times.
Want to know more, visit http://watrappers.com/

Last edited:
I noticed part of my property line had been marked (not professionally). I called the adjacent landowner who I found out had gotten permits to log as well.

After a short convo I realized he was the one who had marked my property lines and was about to begin harvesting trees off my property. I'm starting to get annoyed. First the neighbor to the south insisted he owned my land. After I explained to him what an idiot he was for believing the lines were located where he believed them to be, he finally ceded.

After that was resolved I now find that the neighbor to north thought he owned my entire property and had recieved permits to log it. WTF?

Does this sort of thing happen often in timber country?

Do you clearly own the timber rights? In Okanogan County, during the 1990s, people bought acreage. They were soon shocked to find out that they did not own the timber. Omak Wood Products (does not exist now) had the right to the timber and began cutting it. It was legal, it was done. You might want to check that out.

Amen on the timber rights. That's happened down here too...and a lot more often than people realize.

Maybe a good professional survey of property lines might be in order. Soon.

It sure doesn't sound like a great start at getting along with the neighbors.

Last edited:
Do you clearly own the timber rights? In Okanogan County, during the 1990s, people bought acreage. They were soon shocked to find out that they did not own the timber. Omak Wood Products (does not exist now) had the right to the timber and began cutting it. It was legal, it was done. You might want to check that out.
I'm just guessing it was on the Colville Res

I don't know how you handle the property exchanges, but a delivered timber right is a reservation one would think a landowner should remember to mention before closing the deal.

Well, there is forgetful people everywhere in the world. Two winters back I was cutting a sloped patch of pine. A forester, whom I didn't recognize, showed up and asked me what the #### I was doing there, since he had bought timber rights of that particular patch. I said: "So did the company which hired me." It appeared the landowner had sold a single piece of timber rights twice, without telling anyone. It was a bit of a mess and it took awhile to sort it out. I did finish cutting the patch anyhow. I calculated that I'll eventually get paid, the boys are just negotiating which address my bill will get sent to.

So they did and I got my check.

Good question.

Yes, I own timber rights but 1/2 Oil, Gas and Mineral (except gravel) are retained by the previous owner.

I was going to get a boundary survey but I dug around and found the stakes on one end of the property and can easily measure and find the stakes or at least approximate within a foot or so by measuring from a sectional marker on the other end of the property so I don't feel the need to cough up the $2200.00 getting one done.

I think I should send a certified letter to the landowner and DNR saying there is a disagreement concerning boundaries and such.

Amen on the timber rights. That's happened down here too...and a lot more often than people realize.

Maybe a good professional survey of property lines might be in order. Soon.

It sure doesn't sound like a great start at getting along with the neighbors.

More drama than I care to bore you to tears with.

Both these guys were so egregiously wrong about the boundary locations yet were so sure they were right. When I responded with simple logic showing measurements from stakes on the ground, GIS pictures (satellite photos with boundary lines displayed), GPS information, compass bearings and the like, the looks on their faces and confusion were as if I was speaking voodoo.

Why are the people who make the most ignorant assertions always the most confident? :bang:

a while back we had a good conversation with a second home owner overlooking a bridge we were crossing with trucks.

"you can't cross that bridge, its mine"

OK, we stopped hauling for the day.

That evening, the landowner had a conversation with this inholding landowner. "My father put that bridge in 35 years ago and you've been here for five. And, by the way, you don't actually have an easement to your house. Would you care to conitnue this conversation?"

Trucks resumed hauling the next morning. Its not very often you have to hit the jake on an uphill and downhill.;)

Why is it there is almost always one neighbor on any given bit of property, that thinks they own 20' more than they really do? If you don't have a neighbor like this could it be you? The surveys are about the only legal way to retain what is yours. Short of open warfare, getting the law on your side quickly and effectively may ruffle some feathers at first but it makes a clear distinction of what you will tolerate from your neighbors, be firm but be fair, it can be hard not to be a jerk in this kind of situation.

As far as logging on your property going to someone elses this is one of the oldest tricks in the bad gypo's play book, no one is home they won't miss a few dozen trees from the property line right, those few dozen trees can make an extra log load

Why is it there is almost always one neighbor on any given bit of property, that thinks they own 20' more than they really do? If you don't have a neighbor like this could it be you? The surveys are about the only legal way to retain what is yours. Short of open warfare, getting the law on your side quickly and effectively may ruffle some feathers at first but it makes a clear distinction of what you will tolerate from your neighbors, be firm but be fair, it can be hard not to be a jerk in this kind of situation.

As far as logging on your property going to someone elses this is one of the oldest tricks in the bad gypo's play book, no one is home they won't miss a few dozen trees from the property line right, those few dozen trees can make an extra log load

I was doing some reading, apparently if the boundaries aren't clearly mark it's pretty easy for someone to get away with taking wood of your property.

I was doing some reading, apparently if the boundaries aren't clearly mark it's pretty easy for someone to get away with taking wood of your property.

Yup...when you figure the potential loss in timber and the resultant legal fight and all the time and aggravation that goes along with it, a survey can be cheap insurance.

I've had a couple of instances where somebody got over onto my ground and I've also crossed somebody else's line.
It happens.

Sitting down over coffee with the maps and a copy of a current survey usually makes for a reasonable solution and helps get along with the neighbors. You don't have to love your neighbor but you sure as hell have to live next to them. Why not take every opportunity to make the relationship civil?

Seen allot of otherwise rational people, go down right crazy over 2' of dirt, threats of violence, police, stealing, vandalism, poo talking, stink eye, and the occasional exchange of lead projectiles at high rates of speed. Yeah so I used to live I Darrington What of it...:msp_sneaky::msp_sneaky:

Yup...when you figure the potential loss in timber and the resultant legal fight and all the time and aggravation that goes along with it, a survey can be cheap insurance.

I've had a couple of instances where somebody got over onto my ground and I've also crossed somebody else's line.
It happens.

Sitting down over coffee with the maps and a copy of a current survey usually makes for a reasonable solution and helps get along with the neighbors. You don't have to love your neighbor but you sure as hell have to live next to them. Why not take every opportunity to make the relationship civil?

That's good advice and exactly what I'll be doing. We are going to meet at the property and hash it all out. He seems reasonable, just mistaken. I always give the benefit of the doubt and will make a good-faith effort to reconcile the situation.

I think it's a big sting for him finding out he doesn't own all that wood. His property has already been logged in the past so while there is still some there, there definitely isn't much as he thought.

Speaking of cedar, I may go work with some folks to go split some planks, by hand, with fros. I'll take my camera if it is a go. The boards will be used next summer to build a trail bridge. Sounds pretty cool, and pretty heavy..as in weight.

So finally finalized this. They're gonna whack it all up into blocks then helicopter it out to the road. I don't have to lift a finger. Money will be paid to me on the day the helicopter flies the wood to the road.

This will be a quick process and allow me to personally take an accurate reading of the amount of wood going out and get me paid before the wood leaves my property. Win/Win at alleviating both of my main concerns.

And yes, Ill take pics and video of what I can. Thanks for all the advice you guys gave on this. Now I can only hope everything goes as planned.

Last edited:
Back