Older saw purchasing advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian72

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been looking at getting another saw. Originally, I was looking at new but now I'm interested in some old-school American iron. Seems to be plenty of old Mac and Homelite etc. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Probably a mid-sized for starters. Running saw first and maybe some project later. The Super XL has definitely caught my eye. Some nice Macs too. Sure do appreciate such quick responses.

Everyone loves the 10-10 for firewood saws. I myself run a super 250, 1-76, 440 , 797 depending on what I'm cutting. I like to rotate them. BIG timber I run my 77 or 73 with 9/16" and 5/8" pitch chain but not much larger wood here. Homelites I like too and run a super 1050. Love that saw and it's fairly light . I cant stand new saws, plastic saws and collect, restore and run all of my old saws. They are made to last. I prefer a heavier saw so that's why I run the above mentioned saws. I've also got a super 6-10 that's a powerful lighter saw i use at times. Just all depends on what your cutting like the other guy said. Hard to beat a super 250 those saws are pretty powerful...factory hot rods...

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Everyone loves the 10-10 for firewood saws. I myself run a super 250, 1-76, 440 , 797 depending on what I'm cutting. I like to rotate them. BIG timber I run my 77 or 73 with 9/16" and 5/8" pitch chain but not much larger wood here. Homelites I like too and run a super 1050. Love that saw and it's fairly light . I cant stand new saws, plastic saws and collect, restore and run all of my old saws. They are made to last. I prefer a heavier saw so that's why I run the above mentioned saws. I've also got a super 6-10 that's a powerful lighter saw i use at times. Just all depends on what your cutting like the other guy said. Hard to beat a super 250 those saws are pretty powerful...factory hot rods...

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Thanks for that info. Sure appreciate it.

For your first piece of "old iron" saw, I would go with either a Super XL or XL12. Simply cause of the abundance of parts on the market, and a decent unit can be had for less than 100$ cause of their abundance. They are one of the few you can get a new Piston/Cylinder kit for. They are also repoping some of the fuel line grommets and older XL12 step down fuel lines. New reed cages are available for Super XL, not sure about XL12. Homelite also flooded the market with replacement parts during their long production run, so there is plenty of NOS stuff out there too. Only down fall is bar mount. It is not very common with it's 3/8" studs, but you can make other bars work with a file.

Second would be something like a 10-10. Once again, abundance. If you manage to get a bad one, you can get another one and have a parts saw, and once again, I see them on CL around here for under 100$.

There is a guy advertising a good running Mac 700 for 65$ on CL in Mooresville NC, if it is not sold yet...

For your first piece of "old iron" saw, I would go with either a Super XL or XL12. Simply cause of the abundance of parts on the market, and a decent unit can be had for less than 100$ cause of their abundance. They are one of the few you can get a new Piston/Cylinder kit for. They are also repoping some of the fuel line grommets and older XL12 step down fuel lines. New reed cages are available for Super XL, not sure about XL12. Homelite also flooded the market with replacement parts during their long production run, so there is plenty of NOS stuff out there too. Only down fall is bar mount. It is not very common with it's 3/8" studs, but you can make other bars work with a file.

Second would be something like a 10-10. Once again, abundance. If you manage to get a bad one, you can get another one and have a parts saw, and once again, I see them on CL around here for under 100$.

There is a guy advertising a good running Mac 700 for 65$ on CL in Mooresville NC, if it is not sold yet...
Thanks. Very good info.

McCulloch options:

Look for a 7-10 or PM700, plenty of saws out there and two of the peppier 70 cc models.

PM55 or 10-10S @ 57 cc are also nice saws though a little less oomph than the 70 cc saws.

Any 10-10 @ 54 cc are also nice saws but don't have the stuff the bigger saws do.

If you want a bigger high torque saw, look for one of the 80 or 87 cc large frame front tank saws, 250, 1-53, 380, etc.

Poulan 3700 would be an excellent choice as well.

Do you want me to keep going?

Mark

McCulloch options:

Look for a 7-10 or PM700, plenty of saws out there and two of the peppier 70 cc models.

PM55 or 10-10S @ 57 cc are also nice saws though a little less oomph than the 70 cc saws.

Any 10-10 @ 54 cc are also nice saws but don't have the stuff the bigger saws do.

If you want a bigger high torque saw, look for one of the 80 or 87 cc large frame front tank saws, 250, 1-53, 380, etc.

Poulan 3700 would be an excellent choice as well.

Do you want me to keep going?

Mark
Lol. Thanks Mark. Sure appreciate it. This is why I reached out to all the experts. Always plenty of great advice.

Things to consider when buying/obtaining old saws, many have NO chain brakes or AV some models are difficult to obtain parts for, a factor is how long/often are you going to run the saw if for a bit of fun not much of a problem with whatever you choose if you wish to use for a lot of cutting you may want to go for a "newer oldie" with brake & AV mounts Ive had many happy hours over the years with the older kit

That would depend on what your cutting and what you want. Big saw? Little saw? For a Homelite hard to beat a Super XL. Someone else will chime in on a Mac.

Super XL would be my vote, too.

Don't know much about the smaller Mac's, but I need to get a Mac 10-10 myself one of these days. LOTS of folks swear by these.

Back