Older saw purchasing advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Step up to big wood and run a 73 or 77..lol. The 77 is my favorite saw to run. It's got some weight but its not that bad to lug around. Most guys complain about the saws I run saying they are too heavy but everyone is different. I've got a weak back but upper body strength is there. I've done manual labor most of my life and worked so a hard days work has always been enjoyable for me and the norm.

I prefer a heavier saw it just feels good in the cut and also adds a little weight to cut your timber. I've found a lot of parts for many of my saws it's out there. Didn't take much at all to get the 73 or 77 going at all but I've done a lot if mechanical repairs over the years and can pretty much fix anything. Saws are a breeze couldn't get much simpler even the old rotary valve saws like I run.

I've heard the 700 saws are right powerful but never ran one. My super 6-10 is 70cc and it's got plenty of umph even for larger wood. Even my 10-10S is right peppy at 57cc I believe. I only run macs and Homelites but most are around 100cc except for a few. Hard to run the smaller ones after running the larger saws. Super 1050 Homelite is another favorite to run.

That and the S250, 1-76 are my main firewood saws and the 77 for larger wood. Gear drives are hard to beat but I prefer a slower rpm in my saws. Not into that fast high rpm plastic crap. Loggers I can understand running newer saws but for me collecting, firewood, cutting up other wood here and there I use the above mentioned saws. I've got parts to rebuild if needed and I clean them up real good when done. Some guys don't run the old ones but it's all u run. Can't beat an all metal saw with a good loop of chain.

I run chipper on my saws too I can't stand chisel. Chipper cuts much smoother and faster for the wood I'm dealing with. Chisel is just to grabby and rough, slower cutting . I'm usually cutting Ash, oak, Cherry , locust and a little poplar. Anyway I think an old saw is much better than a new one anyday. Much more reliable and simple to work on. Newer saws to me are junk. I just can't stand plastic or a light weight saw but that's me. Run what Ya like there are many to choose from...

Attached area fee I run frequently..
Super 1050, 1-76, 77.... Can't find a pic of the S6-10... OK I'm done...

Attachments

• IMAG6028.jpg
    IMAG6028.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 20160426_163433.jpg
    20160426_163433.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 20160915_135132.jpg
    20160915_135132.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
Step up to big wood and run a 73 or 77..lol. The 77 is my favorite saw to run. It's got some weight but its not that bad to lug around. Most guys complain about the saws I run saying they are too heavy but everyone is different. I've got a weak back but upper body strength is there. I've done manual labor most of my life and worked so a hard days work has always been enjoyable for me and the norm.

I prefer a heavier saw it just feels good in the cut and also adds a little weight to cut your timber. I've found a lot of parts for many of my saws it's out there. Didn't take much at all to get the 73 or 77 going at all but I've done a lot if mechanical repairs over the years and can pretty much fix anything. Saws are a breeze couldn't get much simpler even the old rotary valve saws like I run.

I've heard the 700 saws are right powerful but never ran one. My super 6-10 is 70cc and it's got plenty of umph even for larger wood. Even my 10-10S is right peppy at 57cc I believe. I only run macs and Homelites but most are around 100cc except for a few. Hard to run the smaller ones after running the larger saws. Super 1050 Homelite is another favorite to run.

That and the S250, 1-76 are my main firewood saws and the 77 for larger wood. Gear drives are hard to beat but I prefer a slower rpm in my saws. Not into that fast high rpm plastic crap. Loggers I can understand running newer saws but for me collecting, firewood, cutting up other wood here and there I use the above mentioned saws. I've got parts to rebuild if needed and I clean them up real good when done. Some guys don't run the old ones but it's all u run. Can't beat an all metal saw with a good loop of chain.

I run chipper on my saws too I can't stand chisel. Chipper cuts much smoother and faster for the wood I'm dealing with. Chisel is just to grabby and rough, slower cutting . I'm usually cutting Ash, oak, Cherry , locust and a little poplar. Anyway I think an old saw is much better than a new one anyday. Much more reliable and simple to work on. Newer saws to me are junk. I just can't stand plastic or a light weight saw but that's me. Run what Ya like there are many to choose from...

Attached area fee I run frequently..
Super 1050, 1-76, 77.... Can't find a pic of the S6-10... OK I'm done...
Thanks for the input. Nice collection you got there.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

The 10-10 and PM700 are two that I'm looking at. Just have to figure out which one first. Probably the 700 but it certainly won't be my last.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I’d say you should keep an eye out for big saws and pro saws. Big saws are much rarer and are worth more, so when you find one cheap, snatch it up.

I like to look for ads that don’t specify what model or brand is being sold. “Old chainsaw $60”, is the kind of thing I’m looking for. I picked up a Pioneer/Partner P45 for $60 on just that kind of ad.

If it’s got a full wrap handle then it’s almost certainly a pro saw. A bar 24” or longer is a good sign too.

I tend to avoid the really old stuff. It is cool, but when it comes to cutting wood, a 1950’s era saw is just totally outclassed by newer saws. A 70’s or 80’s era saw on the other hand might be heavier than today’s saws, but it will still do a great job of cutting wood.

Latest posts

Back