Olympyk Bar Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gene

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction here. I have an old Olympyk 254 that I just bought and I need a bar for the saw. Here goes:

Bartail pattern is what Oregon calls the D024 and this interchanges with some Jonesreds.

This is not the same as what Oregon says fits this saw, the D096 and D196-I tried a D196.

I want a bar about 18-20 inches long with a sprocket tip.

Chain pitch is 3/8 and I need the bar with .050 gauge.

Now, Oregon dosen't have such a configuration in their old 1997 catalog, all I saw there in the right length were bars using a .058 gauge or a 24" bar with the .050 gauge.
I have 5 chains (72s) that I would like to use, so I want to keep the 050 gauge.

Are there other makers of bars that might make something like I need and where can I go to find em?

thanks in advance

My 2005 catalog makes note that the D196 bar slot must be filed .020 to fit. There is no new direct Oregon fit, sorry.

I just played this game with my Alpina. The D196 pattern may work okay but the D024 had a wider tail ( I think-never have held one). What I wound up doing was using A D007 bar,(same profile as the D196 but without the funky adjuster holes) opened the adjuster holes with a rattail file, Slightly widened the 9.5mm slot to fit the 10mm studs, and used a Dremel to cut a groove from the existing oil hole almost up to the top rail so it could get oil from the oil slot. I then mounted it all up-it looked beautiful but the chain rivets were pinched-no worky. I went down to the hardware store ad spent $1.69 on a 4"x 10" piece of .016 hobby aluminum. Using a utility knife and elec drill and chainsaw file to cut and shape a pair of spacers. It all works fine now.

I thought I might have one here but all I could find was one 16". I is not an Oregon bar but is listed only to fit the Olympyk and Jonsred so I assume it is the D024 pattern. If it was the D196 it would fit the Homelites and many others. Not much help though at 16" and I believe it is probably .058 also.

Bill

Back