once in a life time saw project ( I HOPE!!!!!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PorKChoP13

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well let me start off by saying i am no stihl certified mechanic by far, but i do like to tinker. I am new to AS and i have made a few posts and i would like to thank all of you for helping me along the way. The people here are nice and willing to help and that really helps someone in need. I have never really messed with chainsaws that much but i wanted to play so an AS member gave me a Ryobi 10532, and i have had that saw completly apart 10 times in the last couple of days. I have had lots of issues from getting no fuel to getting way way to much fuel and now its became consistent it is getting to much fuel get it running after several pulls (on my to do list) but once i get her going she runs WOT hit the trigger and it bogs and sputters. But my favorite problem that i am having is while its running and running at WOT it is running backwards. I pound that out the hard way the clutch shot across the shop. At WOT it is also pushing fuel out through the carb and dumping it out like crazy. I still havent figured out the bugs so i guess ill keep at ita while and see if i can work them out.

Wow! You sure are having an adventure there.

first, running WOT with the clutch cover off is a bad idea....

Start from there...running backwards?? You had the saw all apart? How far?

Hey, good luckski.

No idea on that particular saw at all, never touched one, but your metering lever in the carb should be set precisely, or it will flood, or starve for fuel. I will guess, just make it flush with the lip there, but..some are different.

Break the saw down into components in your head, address one component at a time, rather than the whole shebang. Baby steps.

im just going to have to break down and buy a kit but as far as the clutch cover i no it wasnt the greatest idea but i wasnt expecting thee wide open throtle so yea i am having a wonderful adventure

The saw probably wasn't running backwards. They'll sling the clutch across the shop floor when running in the correct direction. How do I know? Umm, I read it in a book. Yep, read it in a book I think, cause I would know better than to run it without the bar and chain on it. Yep, read it in a book.

Clutch almost went thru my back window of my truck when I fired up an old poulan.

Rapid acceleration coupled with the weight of the clutch drum causes sufficient momentum to overcome the thread tension. When the engine reaches it's peak rpm's, the clutch wants to keep accelerating due to centrifugal force, and off it comes.

Last edited:
but wouldn't it tighten up as it spins if turning the correct way

First, just to keep things straight the clutch threads are opposite or left hand threads. So yes, as the saw revs up it would tighten the clutch. But when the bar and chain are off this "rev tightening" isn't necessarily enough to counteract the momentum of the spinning clutch wanting to unthread itself. The force required to spin the added weight of the chain in addition to actually cutting wood during normal use keeps the clutch tightened down.

Last edited:
First, just to keep things straight the clutch threads are opposite or left hand threads. So yes, as the saw revs up it would tighten the clutch. But when the bar and chain are off this "rev tightening" isn't necessarily enough to counteract the momentum of the spinning clutch wanting to unthread itself. The force required to spin the added weight of the chain in addition to actually cutting wood during normal use keeps the clutch tightened down.
o ok i understand now, but why does the starter cord pull the saw in an opposite direction rather than pulling it the way it is supposed to cycle

0000527_250.jpeg

You're saw looks like this yes? When looking at the saw from this angle, you pull the handle, and the saw rotates counterclockwise. If you look at it from the other side it turns clockwise. If your saw does something other than that you should post pictures/videos.

Yes it does turn that way but clockwise is the way the clutch loosens so thats were my problem is that does not make sense to me

ill try to explain this in technical jargon. its basic centrifical force working with a weighted part. a saw can turn around 13000rpm or more it take the weighted part slightly longer to get up to speed hense slightly loosening,do this several times a ,well you already know. the bar keeps it from doing this. if you dont have a bar,rig up a retainer plate to bolt on. you got lucky once.

MOST of the time they come off while DE-celerating.
A saw can rev down a lot quicker than a weighted object spinning at 10,000 rpms or more. (see Issac Newton and laws of motion)
However as you have learned, when an engine goes from stopped to wide open and slams against peak rpm, the clutch wants to continue accelerating at the same rate.
Add the variables of vibration, harmonics and Murphys' law and let the games begin!!!

Mike

MOST of the time they come off while DE-celerating.
A saw can rev down a lot quicker than a weighted object spinning at 10,000 rpms or more. (see Issac Newton and laws of motion)
However as you have learned, when an engine goes from stopped to wide open and slams against peak rpm, the clutch wants to continue accelerating at the same rate.
Add the variables of vibration, harmonics and Murphys' law and let the games begin!!!

Mike

I believe this covers it as good as it gets............... Good Job!
jnl

Back