One Saw Again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRJ

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Dolmar 5100 w/18" bar
Dolmar 7900 w/20" bar
Stihl 361 w/18 or 20" bar

I'll be using the saw mostly for bucking firewood, I can't see needing a bar longer than 20". Weight isn't a major consern, price and longevity are more important. I have dealers for both in the area, you guess is as good as mine as to how good they are.

I would say the 361 but if weight isn't a factor bigger gets the job done faster and people here love the 7900 so I would go with the 7900

It's better to have too much saw than not enough. IMO.

I have to agree with the idea.
I ALWAYS recomend getting a saw one size bigger than needed. Yes it might be a bit heavier, but it's the only one you have, and you never know when you might need to a drop a tree larger than you thought!!! As I have!!
Get the lightest most powerful saw you can if you are limited to one.
Who am I kidding!!! You are on AS, you will have three by this time next year:monkey:

My original intent was to buy the 5100, so technically the 7900 would be 2 sizes bigger. It's also 100 bucks more than the Stihl, which is the damn price thing I'm also conserned with. I'm going to pick one up this weekend either way, so maybe dealer stock will make my decision for me?

I ended up going with the 361. I hope it's a good one, for the price it better last me a life time of cutting firewood. Maybe after I get use to it I'll look into some mods or build a 6401 from Home Depot. :chainsaw:

I ended up going with the 361. I hope it's a good one, for the price it better last me a life time of cutting firewood. Maybe after I get use to it I'll look into some mods or build a 6401 from Home Depot. :chainsaw:
Depends on how much firewood you cut, A lifetime is a lot to ask for especially if your a young man.. If taken care of and regular maintenace happens then it will last you many years. You made a good choice.

I went with the 18" bar, RSC chain and 8 pin sproket, hope that was a wise choice. I'll probably get a 24" for the rare ocassion when I'd need it, if I find a need for it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back