One saw, one chain solution

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a call from a local guy tonight asked if i would look at his stihl for him
so I ask what seems to be the problem
he replies no problem it runs great one of the best saws I have ever owned
so why do you want me to have a look at it I ask?
Well it ran great but it just wont start now........
:cheers:

Pssst, check that chain,LOL:cheers: :cheers:

LOLOLOLOL, good one. Spike remember me talking about that blower I sold that lady Saturday for 459.95. Welp this morning I get a call from another lady telling me you sold a blower to my friend a few days ago and you gave her 30.00 off list. I said yeah I sure did, I sold her a BR600 for 459.95, they list for 489.95. She goes thats right, can I get the same deal, I said why you sure can.

20 minutes I get a call from the showroom, lady up here wants a blower. I go up and sure enuff its the lady. She goes is that the blower. I said its the same blower your friend bought. Guess what she starts staring at that 479.95 price tag on it and she's pondering. I'm like not again,LOL

I don't know whether to go ahead and up the price to list or keep having fun with these people,LOLOLOL

Sounds like you both got the same deal. lol

If more of their friends come in, how about offering $25.00 off list.
Then take the other $5.00 off of a new saw chain purchase. :greenchainsaw:

My mental picture of Tommy getting ready to toss another chain. lol lol

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...1c3f1ff0da12daca88256e1000250910?OpenDocument

Last edited:
I'd go a different route. Offer 15% off chains if you buy the saw here (that's what me dealer did, unfortunately he passed away and the shop closed) and put a big sign up that says "$100 surcharge for immediate equipment service" right behind where you stand. I spend a lot of time in different kinds of shops, and it never ceases to amaze me how some people think they are they only customer in the world and are entitled to immediate service. I grew up in T Hall's area, and those type are becoming the norm there. That's one of the reasons my wife and I will never go back.

Sounds like you both got the same deal. lol

If more of their friends come in, how about offering $25.00 off list.
Then take the other $5.00 off of a new saw chain purchase. :greenchainsaw:

My mental picture of Tommy getting ready to toss another chain. lol lol

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...1c3f1ff0da12daca88256e1000250910?OpenDocument

LOL, love that pic in that link.

Ya know I got no problem at all giving folks a break on the price. Most times I can justify my reasons.

Fellow from the electric company came in the shop this morning. He goes the switch on our little 180 is messed up, it won't engage. I said bring it in here. It had gotton sticky but other than that it was working. I gave it a shot of oil to slicken it up some and it worked fine, 15 seconds, no charge.

While standing there he's eyeing the 290 and 361 I have on the wall. I go which one ya want. He says well that 290 is alot cheaper and I only saw a little firewood, I'm just looking, didn't come in to buy a saw. I'm thinking challenge now. I said well that 361 is a whole lot nicer saw, its well worth the extra money. I go here, handle them both. He goes this 361 sure does feel better, its got a metal housing too. I said yup, your right. He's in deep thought now. I'm watching him think and I go aww hell give me 550.00 and take that dayumm thing on home with ya. He goes are you serious. I said hell yeah.

Whats he do. He goes does that include a free case. I said hell no, ya just saved 50.00, you can take that and buy a case. He laffs and goes ok, you got a deal. He got that 361, bought a case and left smiling.

Why did I offer that cat a break, very simple. He came only to get his switch fixed on their company saw. He left almost 600.00 lighter out of his own pocket, thats why. He would have never bought that saw at full retail because he wasn't intending on buying anything to begin with. I see it as he's in the building, he wasn't a few minutes ago so lets sell that man something, I did.

When he comes to get his chain sharpened and I make him buy a new one I'll get some of that 50.00 discount back in a hurry,LOLOL

I'd go a different route. Offer 15% off chains if you buy the saw here (that's what me dealer did, unfortunately he passed away and the shop closed) and put a big sign up that says "$100 surcharge for immediate equipment service" right behind where you stand. I spend a lot of time in different kinds of shops, and it never ceases to amaze me how some people think they are they only customer in the world and are entitled to immediate service. I grew up in T Hall's area, and those type are becoming the norm there. That's one of the reasons my wife and I will never go back.

Good post, you know what kind of people we have in northern Va, cool beans. Most don't realize it but northern Va is really nothing more than the outter part of DC. Everything is fast pace, I want it now, I'm in a hurry.

Far as discounting goes I rarely discount chains and accessories. The way I do it is I'll give you enuff break on the unit to buy a extra chain or trimmer line or a case or oil or whatever ya need for that unit. Why, well the mark up on the chains or trimmer line or case or oil or whatever is gonna eat that little discount I just gave you enuff for me to come back to even,LOLOL

Thall.. got an idea... the last week of the year... put the unclaimed chains up for sale as used chains... $5 each and a special on the 31st... $1 with the disclaimer... 'AS-IS' just a thought... instead of tossin them..

Good post, you know what kind of people we have in northern Va, cool beans. Most don't realize it but northern Va is really nothing more than the outter part of DC. Everything is fast pace, I want it now, I'm in a hurry.

Far as discounting goes I rarely discount chains and accessories. The way I do it is I'll give you enuff break on the unit to buy a extra chain or trimmer line or a case or oil or whatever ya need for that unit. Why, well the mark up on the chains or trimmer line or case or oil or whatever is gonna eat that little discount I just gave you enuff for me to come back to even,LOLOL

But, if you offer a discount on an item that they will continuously need in the future, you're getting them to come back in your shop so you can sell them something else, either parts or new equipment. Otherwise they'll spend a week and $100 in fuel driving around to find where they can save $10 on their next purchase.

Thall.. got an idea... the last week of the year... put the unclaimed chains up for sale as used chains... $5 each and a special on the 31st... $1 with the disclaimer... 'AS-IS' just a thought... instead of tossin them..

I got that problem taken care of. Volks-man said he's coming by and the end of the year with his own bucket. I just hope he gets there before I pull up that big ole trash can,LOLOL

I think he's almost 5 hours away from us. Be a shame for him to drive that far only to find out that big ole trash can outran his bucket,hahaahhaha

I got that problem taken care of. Volks-man said he's coming by and the end of the year with his own bucket. I just hope he gets there before I pull up that big ole trash can,LOLOL

I think he's almost 5 hours away from us. Be a shame for him to drive that far only to find out that big ole trash can outran his bucket,hahaahhaha

LOL... hmm I wonder if he will go right by here... hmmmm :cheers: :cheers:

But, if you offer a discount on an item that they will continuously need in the future, you're getting them to come back in your shop so you can sell them something else, either parts or new equipment. Otherwise they'll spend a week and $100 in fuel driving around to find where they can save $10 on their next purchase.

Your 100% correct. Most of those people you gave a break to are your customers for life, they won't go anywhere else anymore. Note I said most. There are always some that will try to beat ya everytime even after you've given them a fair share of discounts. We have a way of dealing with such folks without running them off. We usually tellem yeah yeah, we knew it was you when you walked in the door, we heard ya squeaking. They get the hint and knock it off. Those that are demanding now, the door awaits their departure.

Speaking of driving for miles to save a penny yes thats a common thing. Had a fellow tell me one time I can get that coil at so and so for 10.00 less, they can sell for less because they are so big. I knew the dealer he was talking about and he wasn't lying. Even so it sorta ticked me off the way he said it. My reply, you still here, I wasn't cutting a penny. That dealer he was talking about was over 50 miles away. Time and gas would have cost him more than 10.00. He musta went and got it though, I sold my coil to someone else,LOLOL

LOLOLOLOL, good one. Spike remember me talking about that blower I sold that lady Saturday for 459.95. Welp this morning I get a call from another lady telling me you sold a blower to my friend a few days ago and you gave her 30.00 off list. I said yeah I sure did, I sold her a BR600 for 459.95, they list for 489.95. She goes thats right, can I get the same deal, I said why you sure can.

20 minutes I get a call from the showroom, lady up here wants a blower. I go up and sure enuff its the lady. She goes is that the blower. I said its the same blower your friend bought. Guess what she starts staring at that 479.95 price tag on it and she's pondering. I'm like not again,LOL

I don't know whether to go ahead and up the price to list or keep having fun with these people,LOLOLOL

Tommie,

Ole boy, those ladies have no reason to buy a blower. They came in to see Tommie, smell the o de Folgers, get their hands all gooey with Brylcream, and hear you hum a little Elvis tune. These ladies probably dream of gettting into that famous "back room".

How's Joat know this? All them dang BR600s listed as never used on eBay from Leesburg.

Keep your hang tag where it belongs,

Joat

Last edited:
LOL, love that pic in that link.

Ya know I got no problem at all giving folks a break on the price. Most times I can justify my reasons.

Fellow from the electric company came in the shop this morning. He goes the switch on our little 180 is messed up, it won't engage. I said bring it in here. It had gotton sticky but other than that it was working. I gave it a shot of oil to slicken it up some and it worked fine, 15 seconds, no charge.

While standing there he's eyeing the 290 and 361 I have on the wall. I go which one ya want. He says well that 290 is alot cheaper and I only saw a little firewood, I'm just looking, didn't come in to buy a saw. I'm thinking challenge now. I said well that 361 is a whole lot nicer saw, its well worth the extra money. I go here, handle them both. He goes this 361 sure does feel better, its got a metal housing too. I said yup, your right. He's in deep thought now. I'm watching him think and I go aww hell give me 550.00 and take that dayumm thing on home with ya. He goes are you serious. I said hell yeah.

Whats he do. He goes does that include a free case. I said hell no, ya just saved 50.00, you can take that and buy a case. He laffs and goes ok, you got a deal. He got that 361, bought a case and left smiling.

Why did I offer that cat a break, very simple. He came only to get his switch fixed on their company saw. He left almost 600.00 lighter out of his own pocket, thats why. He would have never bought that saw at full retail because he wasn't intending on buying anything to begin with. I see it as he's in the building, he wasn't a few minutes ago so lets sell that man something, I did.

When he comes to get his chain sharpened and I make him buy a new one I'll get some of that 50.00 discount back in a hurry,LOLOL

Tommie,

Well, good story. Since you left out the part with a 2X4, I mean tree limb, I can let my children read your post.

Train up a child ......,

Joat

Tommie,

Ole boy, those ladies have no reason to buy a blower. They came in to see Tommie, smell the o de Folgers and hear you hum a little Elvis tune. These ladies probably dream of gettting into that famous "back room".

How's Joat know this? All them dang BR600s listed as never used on eBay from Leesburg.

Keep your hang tag where it belongs,

Joat

Hahahaha, I don't know what it is Joat but them gals seem to all be friends. Ya don't guess its the Brut smell good stuff I wear thats drawing them in?

I slapped on a bunch this morning and was heading out to the car for work. Time I got acoss the yard to the car there was a stream of old gals heading up the driveway in a hurry. I took off out the back drive and took the long way to work,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Hahahaha, I don't know what it is Joat but them gals seem to all be friends. Ya don't guess its the Brut smell good stuff I wear thats drawing them in?

I slapped on a bunch this morning and was heading out to the car for work. Time I got acoss the yard to the car there was a stream of old gals heading up the driveway in a hurry. I took off out the back drive and took the long way to work,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Tommie,

Perhaps they are misinterpreting the "Stihl" logo on your shirt.

Joat

Tommie,

Well, good story. Since you left out the part with a 2X4, I mean tree limb, I can let my children read your post.

Train up a child ......,

Joat

Well Joat I must confess sometimes I get in trouble selling folks up. They come in wanting something around 300-400 and leave with something 500-600.

I sold a contractor a 361 this past Satuday. He wanted a 260. After chatting with him abit it was obvious to me he'd be happier with a 361. So I poured it on and he bought it.

Today one of the salespeople this contractor deals with comes to me. He goes so and so is really pizzed at you. I said forwhat. He goes he said you sold him a helluva lot more saw than he wanted or needed. I go are you serious. He busts out laffing and said he called and said that little SOB could sell could lightbulbs to a blind man,LOLOL He loves his new saw and called to make sure I knew it,:cheers: :cheers:

Well Joat I must confess sometimes I get in trouble selling folks up. They come in wanting something around 300-400 and leave with something 500-600.

I sold a contractor a 361 this past Satuday. He wanted a 260. After chatting with him abit it was obvious to me he'd be happier with a 361. So I poured it on and he bought it.

Today one of the salespeople this contractor deals with comes to me. He goes so and so is really pizzed at you. I said forwhat. He goes he said you sold him a helluva lot more saw than he wanted or needed. I go are you serious. He busts out laffing and said he called and said that little SOB could sell could lightbulbs to a blind man,LOLOL He loves his new saw and called to make sure I knew it,:cheers: :cheers:

Tommie,

That's what it's all about. You are a pro saleman.

Taking happiness to the masses,

Joat

Tommie,

That's what it's all about. You are a pro saleman.

Taking happiness to the masses,

Joat

I don't know about being a pro but I do come from old school. I'm there to sell. I get paid well to do it. Someone told me long ago if you can't sell you have no business in retail, nothing happens untill something is sold. If you really think about it the entire US economy is a buy and sell economy.

I think ole Daddy Stihl once said no product is so good it cannot be improved. I merely say I don't care how good it is, if it can't be sold it isn't worth nothing. Selling Stihl is very easy, it almost sells itself. I just give them people that little nudge they need to open those wallets. Do I enjoy it, ya dayummmmmmmmm right.......

. Do I enjoy it, ya dayummmmmmmmm right.......[/QUOTE]

Who'da thought.:) How ya been there Mr. maestro of moral fiber. I gotta get by yer shop there and see ifff'n I kin sneek a horse of a non orange and white color in there.

Latest posts

Back