Ontario Chainsaw Users

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RE 590: I like it alot, nice saw. To be honest I haven't completed the top end swap yet... its still in a box in the garage. I'm thinking I'll try to get it back together before my wood cutting trip in the spring.

Not knowing much about jred 590, and 490 I first thought you were putting a smaller top end on a larger saw, I see thats not so, and the two saws are very much the same. The model numbers are very missleading. Do you know what the story is with that, what jred was thinking or how the model numbers work?

Also, good to hear the fellas are getting some deer. Do they ever see any Moose?

RE 590: I like it alot, nice saw. To be honest I haven't completed the top end swap yet... its still in a box in the garage. I'm thinking I'll try to get it back together before my wood cutting trip in the spring.

Not knowing much about jred 590, and 490 I first thought you were putting a smaller top end on a larger saw, I see thats not so, and the two saws are very much the same. The model numbers are very missleading. Do you know what the story is with that, what jred was thinking or how the model numbers work?

Also, good to hear the fellas are getting some deer. Do they ever see any Moose?

You are right it is a slightly smaller top end.... 590 is 45mm diameter, 490 is 44mm. But its really hard to get parts for these saws.... they stopped making them a while back. When I was searching for either a 590 or Partner 5000+ top end I ended up finding someone who had the 490 top end. Really I think I'm only loosing about 2.5 - 3 cc. I'd have to look back into an old thread to find the exact number but its not much... I believe other than the top end there really isn't much difference between the 490/590..... and th 590 is pretty much the same as the Partner5000+ except for colour, and air filter/choke design. (however I'm no expert).

RE Moose.... yeah we are seeing more activity in the last few years.... it used to be really uncommon to see signs of moose. Now we've seen a few and lots of signs....

On a farm near Tweed

Hey just 1/2 hour north of Belleville.

I cut some firewood, clear out fencelines, built and maintain roadway and trails to our cabin north of here.

I use a Husky 154SE.....about 27 yrs old.........soon to be replaced by an ms261 or 346xp ???

I cut some firewood, clear out fencelines, built and maintain roadway and trails to our cabin north of here.

I use a Husky 154SE.....about 27 yrs old.........soon to be replaced by an ms261 or 346xp ???

Hey, good to hear from you, Best stick with Husqvarna:rolleyes2:

What area is the camp at? High Bridge mean anything to you?

Regards,

FWIW I'd say take the 261 when Stihl runs its twice a year promo which for $599 gets you the the case and an extra chain. The 346XP is good but its not worth that much more.

You can get a nice condition used MS260 for about almost half of that though. Something to consider, if you ask me.

Another Ontario native here. Our farm is between Oshawa and Peterborough. Most of my cutting is cleaning up/ clearing overgrown fencerows and taking out dying trees in the bush. We feed two wood stoves in the old stone farmhouse and cut some for others. As has been noted many times on this site, Husky prices are quite high here in Ontario. I recommend Bill at Belmont Engine and Marine just north of Havelock. He has a simple shop behind his house (its cramped), but he moves a lot of saws to loggers and other crews and knows his stuff. Because he moves so many saws and he doesn't have the overhead of an expensive show room, he has the best prices around--he has always done me right. Good to see some Ontario content!

Tim

High Bridge ???

Our cabin is near Flinton, 100 acres of wilderness

I agree with Talllguys 261 is $599 with pro kit .... The 346xp $775 ish no extras

Yes, a good difference in price with the two saws. I agree Belmont in Havelock is a good place to go. There is an add on Kijiji a dealer in Ottawa selling the 346xp for 650$ with the tax in. Not that you would want to drive to Ottawa to save what would be lost in gas and time. But maybe your going there for other reasons.

Hi,Good to see a few boys from 41 hwy around.
a 346 is 425 bucks if you drive to the states and it is every bit worth it over a 260.I also know where a barely used ported 346 with a new 50 cc lives for $500US and it will beat up on your buddies 372 and cut wood all day long
Good to see a few boys from 41 hwy around.
There's a race north of Napanee in a village called Marlbank every May. You can compete or watch and there would be twice as many saws to oogle at than at a few man gtg.
Happy cutting.

Back