Opinion on Price - Sperber Mill + (2) Stihl 076

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ligna secare

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First post here as I'm a "newbie" to all things when it comes to REAL chainsaws/mills.

I have a project I was going to be working on in which I need about twenty (20) 6"x6" or 8"x6" beams from white pine. Was looking at getting an Alaskan Mill along at least a 75+cc chainsaw (both new). Then I find a guy that wants to sell the following:
  • Two (2) Stihl 076 chainsaws - one runs and works fine and the other doesn't start and needs a tune-up.
  • Sperber Mill - 36" capable bar designed for two heads or, one head with "helper handle" included.
  • Three (3) ripping chains
  • 21" crosscut bar and chain
  • Sharpening accessory kit with diamond bits
  • Wooden starter guide roller for mill
He says he'll take $450 for above items. Also, he says he will refund $150 back if, after brought in for a tune-up, it is discovered the chainsaw that won't start is considered "junk."

From the little research I've done, it's definitely more than I need (two heads) and I'm a bit nervous about "old" equipment. On the other hand, it seems like a pretty good price. I hope to get pictures of the stuff in next couple days.

Opinions appreciated!

First post here as I'm a "newbie" to all things when it comes to REAL chainsaws/mills.

I have a project I was going to be working on in which I need about twenty (20) 6"x6" or 8"x6" beams from white pine. Was looking at getting an Alaskan Mill along at least a 75+cc chainsaw (both new). Then I find a guy that wants to sell the following:
  • Two (2) Stihl 076 chainsaws - one runs and works fine and the other doesn't start and needs a tune-up.
  • Sperber Mill - 36" capable bar designed for two heads or, one head with "helper handle" included.
  • Three (3) ripping chains
  • 21" crosscut bar and chain
  • Sharpening accessory kit with diamond bits
  • Wooden starter guide roller for mill
He says he'll take $450 for above items. Also, he says he will refund $150 back if, after brought in for a tune-up, it is discovered the chainsaw that won't start is considered "junk."

From the little research I've done, it's definitely more than I need (two heads) and I'm a bit nervous about "old" equipment. On the other hand, it seems like a pretty good price. I hope to get pictures of the stuff in next couple days.

Opinions appreciated!

Uhhhh i would buy that immediately for $450. That's an insane price

Friend of a friend selling the stuff. He was asked by my friend knowing the stuff has been laying around for years. He isn't "actively" looking for others to buy. All up to me to pull the trigger at this point. Just waiting to see via the pictures what condition the saws are in. I'm guessing they'll be okay knowing the guy takes care of his other stuff.

I get on that ..... Buy it mill your stuff box it up and send it to me I'll give you what you paid + shipping .... like Free rental or sumpthin

Thought I would share the pictures I just got. Unless it was a pile of parts & rust - and based on your input - I was going to buy the items. Even I'm surprised how nice the stuff looks. The last picture of the Sperber Mill, it is obviously being hung from the ceiling.

THANKS MUCH everyone for your input ! ! ! :)

11.jpg

22.jpg

33.jpg

Thought I would share the pictures I just got. Unless it was a pile of parts & rust - and based on your input - I was going to buy the items. Even I'm surprised how nice the stuff looks. The last picture of the Sperber Mill, it is obviously being hung from the ceiling.

THANKS MUCH everyone for your input ! ! ! :)

11.jpg

22.jpg

33.jpg

Send them to me when you're done. Or just one :) but either way you may need a new number and identity so the guy doesn't come to his senses.

So ..... I just looked at eEbay and see the prices on "used & working" plus "used & not-working." WOW! Excuse me for being naive here .... like I said - I'm a newbie to this. Yes, I have had a chainsaw for years to cut stuff on my property, clear brush, and make firewood. Never really thought about a chainsaw mill until the need recently arose. Research showed I needed a "Big A$$" saw but I never really thought of going used. I believe this is a good deal based on your comments (along with seeing prices on Ebay now) but I would love to know why. Why is this saw so popular? Never in my life would I think an "old" (what, 35 years maybe) saw would be worth jack. What drives the price up on this model? Just looking for a little "edumakation" here. :) Thanks again for any responses.

I wouldn't necessarily use eBay as a reference for pricing on whole saws but here's my 2¢. It's less rare than an 090 and therefore less expensive. Also less expensive than a more modern milling saws such as an 084/088. Stihl made a bunch of them over many years so parts are easy to come by. It's got lots of torque for pulling long bars and milling hardwood. I believe it's the least expensive way to enter the world of Milling. I started milling with 076's but upgraded as soon as I could afford it.
Check out prices on some of the saws I listed above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow those look nice. After a little research do you understand our responses... do you have it home yet?

Latest posts

Back