Opinions on falling this tree...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bow tie cut

Dean:
The slides below are from the start of a powerpoint on a new cut I was taught last summer. Had to transfer them to a word document to get them to upload on arborsite. Hope this works for most of you.
Should anyone have a helpful hint on how to get these over in a friendlier manner to the general viewer. Please and thank you for that help!
You GOL guys can just ignore this. Sure it wouldn't work where you're at anyway.

24" diameter means maybe you can squeeze 3 wedges on this tree.
Expect to be doubling just two sets at the end if you angle double wedges.

pics

smokechase II said:
Dean:
The slides below are from the start of a powerpoint on a new cut I was taught last summer. Had to transfer them to a word document to get them to upload on arborsite. Hope this works for most of you.
Should anyone have a helpful hint on how to get these over in a friendlier manner to the general viewer. Please and thank you for that help!
You GOL guys can just ignore this. Sure it wouldn't work where you're at anyway.

24" diameter means maybe you can squeeze 3 wedges on this tree.
Expect to be doubling just two sets at the end if you angle double wedges.
interesting, that i haven't seen before. I understand that you would use that against the lean, i usually just put in my backcut first,put wedges in to hold the presure ,then put my undercut in then finish working my wedges.
I thought we were talking about using a dutchman to swing a tree around the top of another tree, i guess i was missing the original point.

dutchman versus

I was offering this technique as an alternate to a dutchman.
Clearance and others have pointed out the danger in a dutchman.

This cut can be used to wedge over more of a backwards lean than a standard back-cut first as it provides support with no wedge settling on some trees.

That tree doesn't look like a 24" tree judging by the size of the rocks etc around it.

That tree is a pecker pole what are you scared of :laugh:

I had a alder tree that size beside a building leading towards a power line and a large window beside it. Not much room for error I got a rope on it and pulled it in the direction I wanted.

The largest tree I have dropped is a couple red cedars both 44"s in diameter and 60' tall with one hell of a canopy of branches on it.

The first one dropped nice the second one was tougher I couldn't stand on one side of the tree because it was a drop off bank. I wedged the hell out of it I should have cut a notch and used a hydraulic bottle jack to make it go.

I only run a 28" bar on my Stihl 46 which is a little short when your limited to where you can stand around the tree.

i'd say 22"

haha just giving you a hard time , close enough i put a few pics in the picture forum under the thread help uploading videos you guys might like.
I use my 28" bar on just about everything except for my 335xp ,using the same bar all the time keeps me familiar with the same equiptment and i hit the dirt and rocks less.

The tree is down, one of the kids did it and it just crashed forward and took out a bunch of other trees, oh well.

Thanks all,

Dean

leaner

db, you mean after all that you let one of your kids fall the tree?
smokechaser, just so i'm clear, you bore the side of the lean, face cut on the side in the direction you want it to fall, set wedges into bore cut, and nip the corners, am i following the slides correctly?

thanks

I know it sounds like bull, I will see if i can work on getting a few video's i have working.
might take me a coulple of weeks

Its 40 trees a day for 20 years. Sounds like a dream of a job.

But I bet you didn't buck them all up and load them onto the back of a trailer (my style):clap:

nope

straight production falling

check this one out i was called to investigate what this city worker did wrong what do you think.

jackpine

You do the math sometimes i do production falling in jackpine(lodgepole pine)

in jackpine i get about 50-100 trees per tank 5"-12"trees about 70 ft tall, a tank last about 40 minutes in small wood like that , i fall about 10 tanks a day in small wood ,more in bigger wood because the saw eats it up quicker.
When i'm in bigger wood (interior falling oversize i still fall about 150 trees per day) My big wood is not big for everyone , big wood for me is usually between 2' and 4' not big for a coastal faller.
I don't know my exact #'s of trees i have fell but if i ever meet my maker and he makes me put them back in the ground i'm going to be busy for a long time ,i've been production falling over 15 years

wradman said:
straight production falling

check this one out i was called to investigate what this city worker did wrong what do you think.
Win some, lose some, thats the way it goes, is that an acceptable answer? I figure it was some guy who cut firewood with his uncle years ago and figured that qualified him as a faller. What happened Wrad?

not acceptable

clearance said:
Win some, lose some, thats the way it goes, is that an acceptable answer? I figure it was some guy who cut firewood with his uncle years ago and figured that qualified him as a faller. What happened Wrad?
he works for the city ,do you think that is acceptable

Latest posts

Back