Opinions on falling this tree...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all,

I want to fall this tree directly towards the camera, you can see the lean to the left (that's showing its full lean, directly left also).

attachment.php

I've never done a dutchman's cut before (I think that's what they are called), but this is maybe a good place to try.

Any opinions, can this tree fall the right way or is it leaning too much?

Thanks!

Dean

Dean, do not try the dutchman, it is prohibited in BC, skilled fallers are not allowed to use it (many do of course but they have the skills), nevermind what Treespidey says, don't go there. This tree looks pretty small, scamper up it halfway, tie a rope to it with a bowline, take the other end and about 20ft. before a suitable tree (in the direction of intended fall) tie a bowline on the bight, run the end around the tree and through the bowline on the bight. Then put in the undercut, leaving more holding wood on the off lean side, yard the snot out of the rope and tie it off with some wraps and two half hitches. Then backcut, use a little wedge just in case, should work, done similar many times.

Thanks for the reply!

What do you mean yard the snot out of it? I picture what you have set up, except for that (I do assume you mean to tighten the rope).

The purpose of the exercise is to try some more advanced felling techniques, rather than just getting rid of the tree. We have a machine right next to the tree that can pull it out in a second. However, if you consider the dutchman to be so dangerous, maybe I'll think of something else to do.

It could break that rock too, I suppose.

Dean

Dean, it is a saying, sounds a lot better than "yard on it like you are pulling a N off your old lady", does it not? Yes it means pull on something, real hard. Search this site for dutchman, use search, lots of opinions, but don't use it, it can be your demise.

clearance said:
Dean, do not try the dutchman, it is prohibited in BC, skilled fallers are not allowed to use it (many do of course but they have the skills), nevermind what Treespidey says, don't go there.
Yeah if you try a "Dutchman" in NJ Tony Soprano will cut off you arms because it is prohibited in BC.
Bla Bla Bla - who gives flying donkey's A$$ what is prohibited in BC while in a different country - do a "dutchmen" if you want it, is the simpliest yet most effective method of false directional felling around. I'm not telling you to do a "dutchmen" just do what you want.
Clearance - not tyring to be an A$$, but re-read your posts before you post and you will see why I sound so raunchy.
Have a good weekend fellas.

You know what Dan, you are right about using a throwline to set ropes, it is superior to climbing up to do it. Treesling-you are a pro faller, it is not something for weekend warriors to mess with.

clearance said:
You know what Dan, you are right about using a throwline to set ropes, it is superior to climbing up to do it. Treesling-you are a pro faller, it is not something for weekend warriors to mess with.
I totally agree with you, just more or less stating "do what you want". If you want to learn it - do it.
And like I said, didn't mean to sound so harsh.:cheers:

The tree is about 20-24 inches at shoulder height.

As I said, I'm looking to learn something new. If that's an advanced technique, then that's ok, I just want to know what the specific dangers are.

The main danger is that as the tree falls,the flat spot in the undercut (dutchman) causes the tree to stop for a second, before the force is transferred, making it swing as intended. This second of stop puts stress on the tree vertically and can make some trees barberchair at this time, the chair might happen completely before the tree can fall. When falling in timber if the dutchman doesn't work out as intended the tree can be thrown into standing trees, possibly dislodging widowmakers or causing other problems.

Or, the dutchman can cause the hinge to fail. The tree falls where it was last heading at this point. Which, might not be where you wanted it to go.
IF you have no qualms smashing things around this tree, and it looks like there are plenty of trees to go around, try your hand at using the dutchman technique. Never a better time to learn than now! It's not rocket science.

DeanBrown3D said:
The tree is about 20-24 inches at shoulder height.

As I said, I'm looking to learn something new. If that's an advanced technique, then that's ok, I just want to know what the specific dangers are.

To be honest with you. The hazards are far greater driving to this tree than trying your hand at a "swing dutchman". GO FOR IT!!!
Pick a few escape routes. When she goes shut off the saw while looking up and get behind the biggest tree you can(for protection) and don't stop looking up until all sharpnel is on the ground. Then look for limbs hung up you might have missed. I think you'll pull it off and there won't be anything hanging above.

Oh, and if make's you feel better. High stump the little jewel so you'll be on your feet and ready to beat.(beat feet that is). You can always hang a fence on the high stump or cut er' again.

Don't let a little fear stop ya Dean, or common sense. JP you make it sound easy, Dean you heard it here first, falling trees ain't no big thing. Any one with a saw is a westcoast falller (in his mind anyways). JP is the real deal, don't try this at home kids.

Ok enough already! I've felled a few trees in my time. Is that angle too much for a dutchman or not? The base is solid and rot-free.

There's no way to tell with only one picture from that angle.YOU have to cut it to where there is more weight in front of your hinge than behind it. Seeing a picture of half a tree doesn't show that.

dutchman

I don't have a problem using the dutchman ,the problem is to do a nice dutchman(one that works properly)you have to stay at the stump and know when to trim a little more on the way down. Even with my experience i would only try it in a residential area if there were no houses or powerlines that could get hit if your holding wood were to break prematurely.
The dutchman is more commonly used to save trees when you are selectively logging not around houses.

Latest posts

Back