Opinions on falling this tree...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wradman said:
he works for the city ,do you think that is acceptable
Wrad, city workers don't usually work, they "work". Not very impressive, nothing happened to him, life goes on, just another day, at "work".

your right

nothing happened to him a little slap on the wrist, i got some good pics from last week for you but they were sent to me in email bummer having a bad time with them.

wradman said:
straight production falling

check this one out i was called to investigate what this city worker did wrong what do you think.

Underestimated the height of the tree, and failed to make sure that an adequate area around the tree was free of anything or anyone who could potentially come into harms way. Might have been trying to put the tree somewhere other than where it fell, but due to inadequate skill and training, it didn't go where he wanted. As a result, it hit the Mercedes, that should never have been allowed to remain where it was while the tree was being taken down.

Am I anywhere close to what you determined?

tree

i had lots of pics , the stump was terrible cut his holding wood off.
was fighting the saw big time couldnt cut straight
I tried to spend more time showing them how not to let it happen again rather than bashing the faller(which i would have liked to do)
I was more pissed with the guy that trained him, giving the guy just enough kknowledge to be dangerous . We had a pretty good fight about that.

wradman said:
i had lots of pics , the stump was terrible cut his holding wood off.
was fighting the saw big time couldnt cut straight
I tried to spend more time showing them how not to let it happen again rather than bashing the faller(which i would have liked to do)
I was more pissed with the guy that trained him, giving the guy just enough kknowledge to be dangerous . We had a pretty good fight about that.
I'm a municipal worker in ontario, couldn't agree more. Had a course 15 years ago when I started that was pretty good, 2 days. Last time we were run through a course it was 1/2 a day, ran saws for about 20 minutes, didn't do any teardown, cleanup, nothing. Some of us cut a lot of wood, both for ourselves and for the municipality, have for years. All we got was a few reminders that may have been enough for someone that cuts all the time, no good for a newbie. These guys are now officially "trained", many of them have never picked up a saw before that day. I see accidents waiting to happen.......

PWB said:
I'm a municipal worker in ontario, couldn't agree more. Had a course 15 years ago when I started that was pretty good, 2 days. Last time we were run through a course it was 1/2 a day, ran saws for about 20 minutes, didn't do any teardown, cleanup, nothing. Some of us cut a lot of wood, both for ourselves and for the municipality, have for years. All we got was a few reminders that may have been enough for someone that cuts all the time, no good for a newbie. These guys are now officially "trained", many of them have never picked up a saw before that day. I see accidents waiting to happen.......
Splendid, it really isn't that big of a deal, anyone can do it, now working in an office, thats really a big thing, thats where all the smart people are in this municipal department..............

honesty

PWB said:
thank you for your honesty
Not trying to bash the guy but you need a ticket and about 4 years of training to be an electrician. Now people think they can fall trees with 1/2 day of training. I am not exaggerating when i say i have fell more than 200,000 trees after 15 years i still am learning things everyday. The biggest fight with actual falling of trees is keeping your saw cutting straight, I have had allot of fallers work for me and it is a constant battle even for myself,knowing if it is a worn out bar,bad filing or just guys pulling on the saws in a bad way when using the Humboldt cut. Some times you get a chain that cuts straight all the time right out of the box , sometimes you fight the next chain from day one to day 21 , taking extra off one side , measuring raker's etc.Let me tell you i've worn out quite a few saws my biggest ????? lately was when they changed the 404 chain i had to go back to 3/8's and i'm real happy with the results.

wradman said:
out of the couple hundred thousand trees i have cut i don't think i would use that one ever
having worked as a logger and horselogger...my only comment is ...did you notice the nomex shirt?.......can you say this was what some genius in the forest service came up with?

i've got the B.C. fallers and buckers handbook (its not the newest one) and it says dutchmans (i've always heard them called swinging dutchmans, i guess for the swinging motion) are not recommended but permitted. (page 32 of the 2001 edition)

wradman said:
You do the math sometimes i do production falling in jackpine(lodgepole pine)

in jackpine i get about 50-100 trees per tank 5"-12"trees about 70 ft tall, a tank last about 40 minutes in small wood like that , i fall about 10 tanks a day in small wood ,more in bigger wood because the saw eats it up quicker.
When i'm in bigger wood (interior falling oversize i still fall about 150 trees per day) My big wood is not big for everyone , big wood for me is usually between 2' and 4' not big for a coastal faller.
I don't know my exact #'s of trees i have fell but if i ever meet my maker and he makes me put them back in the ground i'm going to be busy for a long time ,i've been production falling over 15 years

wow thats impressive falling! i'm not a faller, but i lay out standing stem wood on coastal vancouver island. i've marked some massive firs and cedars. some well over 6 foot DBH with 30 meters of high grade...then there's the the peelers and standard saw logs on top. i would kill to be allowed to cut those monsters down, but the value in those trees makes them get really good fallers to jack them over. i'd post a pic if i knew how. the wood looks like this: http://www.remcontracting.com/NZ_Forest_Industries.pdf this is one of the companies that does topping around here.

awesome

you know i had to read that entire article it was great,i'm sure in my younger days i would have been all over that one . i think after app. 15 yrs of production falling my knees and ankles couldn't take that abuse anymore, and i'm not sure if i'm quite as brave as i used to be lol.

I'm not sure if you know this or not but here is something i don't know if you ever heard of , when i went to new zealand for a visit a few years ago i noticed that on all of ther tree farms the trees looked like they were planted like carrots . you could honestly look right through the forests down the isles of trees it was wierd to drive down the road and be able to see over 1/2 a kilometer through the bush and all the trees were the same size. freaky dude.
no small trees they were all around 24 inches plus hardly any underbrush it looked almost science fiction to me.

1I'dJak said:
unfortunately REM went bankrupt this year

yeah now there's a few new companies around. AFO is really good. a guy i know tops for them. so is another one i think its called south island standing stem or somethign like that.

wradman said:
what is that saw gavin looks like around a 385 full wrap or a little smaller
its a 394. haven't had it long but i love it.

wradman said:
you know i had to read that entire article it was great,i'm sure in my younger days i would have been all over that one . i think after app. 15 yrs of production falling my knees and ankles couldn't take that abuse anymore, and i'm not sure if i'm quite as brave as i used to be lol.

yeah it looks like fun. at work we've ran into the toppers and watched them work, looks like tons of fun. especially grapple hooking over to the next tree. makes me want to quit school and start climbing. decisions, decisions eh? I've never seen but i've heard about the tree farms like that. i hear they farm trees like that in europe too. must be nice falling, but nothing beats the look of a good old growth fir and cedar stand through my eyes.

Back