Opinions on rebuilt saws - would you buy one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
As the title says, would you buy a used saw off of someone if they admitted that it was rebuilt, or shy away because it's most likely worn out in other places?

Depends on the price and overall condition of the saw. If the price was right and the saw in good condition, I wouldn't hesitate. To me the price is right angle inlcudes me factoring in another $50-100 worth of parts. Not that the saw will need the parts, but the purchase price plus $50-100 and I won't feel burned if I need to put the money into the saw. If the price is at the point you'd feel burned if you needed to do additional work to the saw, walk away. There are lots of used saws for reasonable prices, and at some point plunking down for a new saw makes sense.

to be as general as your question,yes. rebuild covers ALOT of possibilities. as long as the seller upfront tells what was repaired and the cost is within reason ..then yes. also it would depend on the buyers knowledge of what they are buying. do you have the ability to fix the saw if some else went out? also theres a big difference in rebuilt vs fixed vs restored.and alot in between.

Depends on the saw and the price for sure. If it's cheap enough I might take a chance on a rebuilt saw from a stranger. Rebuilt on here by some guys I wouldn't think twice about it.

Thanks for the replies so far. The question I posed was very general, I know. Just trying to get a general idea like those which have been provided thus far.

It goes without saying that I'd trust a rebuild from guys like nmurph, bsnelling and others here, but craigslist sellers are another matter altogether.

I think often times the term rebuilt and repaired are misapplied. In my view, a rebuild is going through the entire item and bringing it back to new specs whereas a repair is fixing what is broken. Replacing a scored piston and installing it in an acid cleaned cylinder is a repair. It is not "rebuilt". I doubt very many saws being sold as rebuilt actually are. The factory refurbs that are widely available probably fit the "rebuilt" definition more than most.

Fresh paint and shined plastics along with other cosmetic detailing can often make a saw appear to be in much better condition than it is. The painted and shiny parts aren't what cut the wood.

I would much rather buy a saw that is in its original condition than one that has been prettied up.

To answer the question, I would buy a saw that was rebuilt or repaired by someone else in concept but probably wouldn't be able to get it for what I was willing to pay.

I cringe when I open a carb and find that someone else has already been in there. Given the stupid stuff I have seen come in the shop, it is very doubtful that I would buy a rebuilt saw for anything other than parts unless it was built by a close friend or reputable AS member.

Via Samsung Galaxy S3. (Using no copied Apple technology.)

The "rebuilt" or "repaired" saw (depending on your definition) I bought from Stumpy via Specter29, is a hell of a saw. The more I run it, the more I love it. I don't know that he ever got into the rod bearings, BUT, what Stumpy and the other builders on the site do when porting, is NOT what I'd consider a repair. It is a correction to factory mass-production sloppiness/EPA mandated running considerations. It is art, science, a bit of Black Magic and in a word, Fantastic!

It has some character via usage, as it ain't no Shelf Queen, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Pretty saws are for those who want to LOOK at saws. I prefer to use them. I also bought a used 6401 Makita, but if I keep it, it will need an oiler and will definitely receive a 7900 P&C along with some "mild" porting. :D I agree with the others, looks aren't what get the wood cut. Run it, look it over, pull the muffler and after all of that, if the price is right, there's your answer. If not, I digress.

Latest posts

Back