Oregon Kinetic Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every see twisted maple or big knots run thru any of the high speed machines..? SuperSplit, TW6, even processors such as Block Buster and Cord King. They are designed for high volume commercial firewood. Have yet to see a bundle of wood for sale full of knot wood. You spec the logs that run fast thru the machines. The logger brings you just that if he wants to sell you more. Leave the junk wood for the weekend warriors.

........and the noodlers. I hate to see potential firewood rotting away because its a crotch or full of knots. But then I'm no pro trying to make a living at it either.

I'll just stick with what I KNOW works EVERY time, knots, stringy wood and EVERYTHING else!

standard.jpg

I push absolutely everything through the 4-way, I've never found anything that will stop the ram...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

It is worth every penny I paid for it!

SR

Yeah, you stick to what you know, those who know splitting for profit in a commercial setting are switching away from set-ups like yours because they like black in the bottom line and green in their pocket.;)

What? They figured out how to make money by leaving un-split rounds in the woods?? Sounds like a good thing to know to me too!

SR

Maybe, if you can't turn something into a product that makes you profit you don't mess with it. Lots of low grade material gets left behind in mines, on the farm, and in forests, that is how the world works.

Truth is that a kinetic splitter gets the biggest pile of wood in the same time as any other splitter in it's price range. People that complain they only do easy stuff have never run one or couldn't process wood to save their life.

As to your pictures, nothing there I couldn't run through my kinetic splitter, that is far from hard to split, and yet you still put it through the "easy" way.

Yup...bam bam bam bam bam bam bam and you just may get through it... lol lol

I've used bam bam splitters and seen many more in use... SO, i'm not guessing here... BUT, that's what makes the world go around... we all like different things and I'm just fine with that.

BTW, top of the line bam bam cost about the same as I paid for my splitter WITH 4-way, table, ect...

SR

I'm still throwing around the idea of getting a kinectic log splitter. Right now I have a hydraulic log splitter with a lift. I use the lift to stage wood on. I use a skid steer log splitter to quarter everything so it is manageable. I am stuck on the idea of having to pickup every piece of wood to put it on the kinectic splitter. I was wondering if anyone built something that can have rounds dumped in it or on it. To keep bending to a minimum. It would have to big enough to keep me busy for a couple hours. I was thinking of a table that is built very sturdy. I also have rock bucket that scoop up the rounds with. Thanks to who ever can help.

I'm still throwing around the idea of getting a kinectic log splitter. Right now I have a hydraulic log splitter with a lift. I use the lift to stage wood on. I use a skid steer log splitter to quarter everything so it is manageable. I am stuck on the idea of having to pickup every piece of wood to put it on the kinectic splitter. I was wondering if anyone built something that can have rounds dumped in it or on it. To keep bending to a minimum. It would have to big enough to keep me busy for a couple hours. I was thinking of a table that is built very sturdy. I also have rock bucket that scoop up the rounds with. Thanks to who ever can help.

I set mine up with a roller table that slopes towards the operator, it has a bit of a table so they don't roll into the operator. No bending over. We load the table either with another conveyor or a loader, depends how we are set up on site.

Dig a hole, and drop the splitter table flush with the ground?

Leave enough space to walk around it. Throw the finished splits into your skid steer bucket.

Philbert
I should dig a hole and bury the log splitter. Screw splitting firewood lol:baaa:

They actually make screw style splitters. Never used one but I'm pretty sure I would prefer one over a hydro unit.

standard.jpg

No matter what you split this monster chunk of wood on it would require a great deal of effort man handling the pieces for re-splitting. The time it would take to noodle it into two more manageable pieces would be well worth it both time and effort, and safety wise. As for cost comparison to be fair, the cost of the tractor should be added in. Obviously this works very well for you, and is an excellent piece of equipment. Hard to tuck in the corner of the garage, or tow down the road. It sounds like damato 333 has an equally good set up with a skid steer splitter for the biggies and rock bucket. He just needs a hay wagon to stage rounds like you use.

There's not as much man handling as you would think... The heavy top portion sits on top of the 4-way, and I just roll or flip it back over on the beam, and push it through again.

Even my wife can do it, on all but the biggest rounds,

standard.jpg

As for the tractor, a tractor can be used for a thousand other things, but a thousand or two will get you a good running decent older tractor. And, the tractor in the picture ?, I've made thousands of dollars with it rototilling gardens/fields (+ my own) with it in the spring. It came to me with a 6' Howard rototiller on it, for $3,500.00 and the tiller was easily worth half of that...

SR

That piece right there looks like a great place to sit and eat a sandwich......in the woods. The bugs can nibble on it, perhaps a critter of some sort could move in underneath it. Excellent candidate for worm wood. :)

How many other rounds can you process in the time it takes to wrestle that thing...?

standard.jpg

They all go through the 4-way, whether it's that one or some other one... The big ones, just turn out nice splits and lot's of it...

SR

The big ones, just turn out nice splits and lot's of it...
standard.jpg

We all do it different, and it isn't always about making money or doing it fast. There is a lot of good wood there in monster chunk splits, premo stuff. I used to cut on someone else's acreage, which meant cleaning everything up where I cut, and scattering the 1" or smaller branches. No option of leaving stuff like SR's picture if I wanted to come back. If a tree was partially punky, the whole tree got left as is, au naturel, or... all of it got cut up (that was the deal) and hauled out with a quad, log arch, and atv trailer. MNGuns has a point too for the critters, if that's an option.

I just liked being in the woods, and leaving it looking as if I had not been there.

Now that I sell wood, I buy twenty cord loads, and my customers don't really care what kind of splitter I use. Most, well over 90%, is split on a SuperSplit HD. If it looks like I could not pick up a round cut from a log, the whole log gets set aside until there are a dozen or so to deal with, and the TW with log lift quickly makes splits out of them, as Rob said.

You can do big rounds on the little splitter, and little rounds on the big splitter, it works both ways. Or you can use an ax... Doesn't matter what you use (or the other guy), as long as it is still fun and your heating your house. I miss cutting in the woods.

I do thank all you guys posting about your kinetic splitter. Five or six years ago I had never heard of one until I discovered the ArboristSite. I found it to be a good choice. Same with the log arch. No drag marks, no dirt in the bark when cutting rounds. Thanks guys, for sharing stuff about your experience and equipment.
0807121246a.jpg DSCF2154.jpg1031091512.jpg
1014101348a.jpg

Latest posts

Back