Oregon reduced weight bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clearance

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone use one yet? I saw one at the shop today, it was light, and expensive, like three times the price of a powermatch. Are they good, do they last, are they worth it? Thanks/Jim

Last edited:
i know Tree Sling'r runs them...and i think RiverRat2 has one on a modded 066. from what ive heard them say they flex a bit more...but you'de have to ask them

Anyone use one yet? I saw one at the shop today, it was light, and expensive, like three times the price of a powermatch. Are they good, do they last, are they worth it? Thanks/Jim

They do flex a bit, but just love them. I just wish they made one in 24.

Don't know how the got away with it

But that is a patent that was awarded to Sugihara and the Sugis are less flex prone due to more cross supports

Yeah, Jasha uses them, and he speaks favorably of them. I guess if you make your money packing a saw in the bush a few pounds is worth the extra scratch. I don't think they wear any better/worse than a powermatch - I mean, they are just a powermatch with a bored center and an aluminum insert. I am sure the longer bars balance better due to the reduced weight. I am sure they bend easier, and would be much more prone to damage if pinched.

We run 32" lightweight bars on our 460's. They make a huge difference after a couple of hours of cutting. They do bend easily though, so you try not to crank on them much. The 066 with a 36" Cannon feels like a 090 after running the lightweight 460 combo.

Four Paws said:
I mean, they are just a powermatch with a bored center and an aluminum insert.

No, the steel used in the lightweight bars is far superior to the regular Power Match bars. The rails wear a lot more slowly than the Power Match. I have three of the Oregon Lightweight bars and three of the Sugi Hara reduced weight bars. Thing about the Sugis is, if you bend them they pretty much just break. You can bend the Oregon lightweight bars and they can be repaired. The steel in the Sugi bars is excellent, comparable to the orange Gb or Cannon Super Bars.

good bars

Sam Madsen himself changed my mind. He handed me a 32" powermatch bar and a reduced weight 32" bar........I was sold. Big difference. I now run the reduced weight on all my saws. 066,460,372,361.....I love them

No, the steel used in the lightweight bars is far superior to the regular Power Match bars. The rails wear a lot more slowly than the Power Match.

My bad...I swear I read, or heard from someone in a shop that they were just machined and surface ground to the pretty finish. Oh well...we all make mistakes.

I might think about dropping the coin on one of these, a 32" for the 660 sounds good.

What brand would you guys go for? The Oregon or Sugi?

Oregon $140+shipping(baileys)
Sugi(I'm looking....who sells these?)

Last edited:
I have a few and find them a little whippy for anything except cutting crossgrain.

But they are a backsaver over a long day. IMO the 28 inch RW bar isn't light enough to justify the extra expense, but the 32 is really noticable. Haven't run a 36 although I would guess it's a bit flexible for my tastes.

I will say that after I run my 32 RW a while the Cannon bars sure do seem heavy for a little while.

Last edited:
2000ssm6 said:
What brand would you guys go for? The Oregon or Sugi?

There's pros and cons to both. If it were me, starting out buying new bars, I'd go with the Oregon. The tips are universal and cheap. Sugi tips are harder to find and the bars themselves are harder to find and typically more expensive.

This post reminds me of racing dirt bikes in the over 30 league, years ago. Old timers (in dirt bike terms) were spending up to $1k on after market carbon fiber parts to shave a couple of pounds off the motorcycle. All the while being 40 or 50 pounds overweight themselves.

I figured I would forgo spending the $1k and save even more by not stopping at the fast food drive through.

You pretty much nailed it, and it's exactly the same deal with the high dollar mountain bike market. However, swinging a 32 inch bar around all day that weighs a few ounces less is a lot easier on the wrists, elbows, and shoulders.

Latest posts

Back