OT - 2 Stroke Mowers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombiechopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I apologize that this is off topic but it is 2 stroke engine related and I just hate going to that lawn forum so i thought I'd ask here.

I am looking for a newly manufactured two stroke push mower. Are there any being made any more? All I can seem to find are the Australian Victa's. I am in Canada but could make a trip to US if need be to pick one up. Or, is there a two stroke engine available that can be mounted on an existing deck?

Any help in the right direction would be appreciated.

I have never owned a 4T lawn mower,and hopefully I never will. I like my Lawn-boy M series mower and it will make me ill if I have to replace it. I don't think any 2T mowers have been made for a few years now.

There may be some of the original Lawnboy two strokes in hardware stores. I saw one about six months ago marked down to $99.00. That was with the side bagger and it was self propelled.

:cheers:

Lawnboy appears to be all 4 stroke now according to their website.

It looks like my suspicions may be true: you can't buy a new 2 stroke mower any more!

I live in the middle of nowhere so buying a used mower on ebay or such woudl mean having it shipped which would be stupid expensive.

I have one of the last series 2 stroke lawn boy mowers. Tons of hrs on it. It got a fresh set of bearings seals and rings mid summer last year. Also made sure the ports were "properly" de-carboned :)
I hope the deck never cracks on it. I will be very sad. It is 3 speed self proprelled and bagger. 4.5 horse and quite adequate.

Have to ask, why 2 stroke?

If I had to take a trip to buy, I would look for a higher quality 4-stroke
unit, easier to find too.

same reason as a two stroke saw. More ower at the same weight. Plus, 2 stroke is cool stuff. I'd buy a two stroke car if I could

There are still Saab strokers on the road, but they usually cost more than the same chassis with the V-4 forklift motor.

What's the deal with this Lawn-Boy?
Looks like it's got an unused fuel tank on the engine with no fuel cap, and a red tank on the handlebar. That can't be original.
http://lansing.craigslist.org/grd/1854196227.html

Well, can't help ya much here on the two stroke aspect but I can wholeheartedly recommend the Toro Super Recyclers. I bought one three years ago and it is the best mower I've ever used. I just looked at them however they looked like they had been cheapened up a bit from when I got mine, the engine choices are pretty limited now and some models look like the new style Lawn Boy decks.

Maybe I can't recommend them after all.....Mine though I do love dearly, I got a Briggs Intek Pro with a spin on oil filter and steel cylinder liner. GREAT mower.

local fab shop guy just stopped in here at work and we had a little BS session on mowers. I told him I thought my old B&S 3.5 was giving up. I figured valves need adjusted or new seats. I ran some seafoam through yesterday and it damn near choked on that stuff - it barely ran. He said he has done quite a few decked heads on the little B&S engines!. They do alot of odds and ends farm equipment work and they say they have messed with a lot of mowers. So I might bump compression on my POS mower and see if it can keep up with the mulching I need it to do.

The head on the briggs flathead is easy to deck. I did my kids go-kart engine with sandpaper and it picked up some pep.

There may be some of the original Lawnboy two strokes in hardware stores. I saw one about six months ago marked down to $99.00. That was with the side bagger and it was self propelled.

:cheers:

you know that NOS 2T Lawnboys are hitting near 5 bills on ebay right?

Toro made a lot of 2 stroke mowers, both commercial units and homeowner units that used a Suzuki 2 stroke. The engine is rated for 30K operating hours before needing a rebuild. The commercial units sold for $750-1200 new. That’s for a 21” mower. You can sometimes find the commercial units on ebay in good shape but they fetch real money and shipping is a beast (the mower weights about 80lbs). The homeowner units fetch cheaper money but are not built quite as well, although some did have the cast decks. Toro skimped on the drive system and wheels.

I think Lawn Boy also ran Suzuki 2 strokes and many of the parts for a commercial toro unit are interchangeable with them. Snapper ran Subaru/robins 2 strokes and they are very rare.

Your best bet is to wait till the mowing season is over and start searching ebay for your “dream” mower or you can start scanning your local gregs list. I think 2003 was the last year for the 2 stroke toro.

Cars, you would need to pickup a vintage saab, which is something I would not wish one anybody. If you are into box trucks, I think IVECO made some that had a 2 stroke but it is a diesel. Would make a good chip or firewood delivery truck if you are into that kind of thing.

same reason as a two stroke saw. More ower at the same weight. Plus, 2 stroke is cool stuff. I'd buy a two stroke car if I could

Why is weight an issue on something you're not picking up?

2 stroke stuff is dark ages technology. It's like wanting a steam engine car--why?

Toro made a lot of 2 stroke mowers, both commercial units and homeowner units that used a Suzuki 2 stroke. The engine is rated for 30K operating hours before needing a rebuild. The commercial units sold for $750-1200 new. That’s for a 21” mower. You can sometimes find the commercial units on ebay in good shape but they fetch real money and shipping is a beast (the mower weights about 80lbs). The homeowner units fetch cheaper money but are not built quite as well, although some did have the cast decks. Toro skimped on the drive system and wheels.

I think Lawn Boy also ran Suzuki 2 strokes and many of the parts for a commercial toro unit are interchangeable with them. Snapper ran Subaru/robins 2 strokes and they are very rare.

Your best bet is to wait till the mowing season is over and start searching ebay for your “dream” mower or you can start scanning your local gregs list. I think 2003 was the last year for the 2 stroke toro.

Cars, you would need to pickup a vintage saab, which is something I would not wish one anybody. If you are into box trucks, I think IVECO made some that had a 2 stroke but it is a diesel. Would make a good chip or firewood delivery truck if you are into that kind of thing.

The best Lawn Boy mowers were the OMC engines, the same company that made Johnson and Evinrude.

As for dark ages technology, they were the best and I think are far superior than anything on the market today. Light weight and plenty of HP

Back