Our own Market place for exotic wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If got a 4 inch thick poison ivy vine out back. I wonder if it would make good veneer.

Lets see here... I have some Cherry, Red and White Oak, Walnut, Cedar,Elm and can get Locust and Hedge. All of the Hickory got burnt up in the stove this past winter.

I am sure there would be some interested buyers out there that might help you people pay for nice tools if you gave them a chance.

Like a nice slab of cherry, maple or black walnut.

Now if you want to run this post in the ground have at it.

Shipping could be a real issue. Some of the slabs I've seen here would have to be shipped by truck. But I can see some possibilities. I'm building an octagonal sun room. I'm going to have some of the molding custom made or make it myself.

Shipping could be a real issue. Some of the slabs I've seen here would have to be shipped by truck. But I can see some possibilities. I'm building an octagonal sun room. I'm going to have some of the molding custom made or make it myself.

I had a pair of 3'x6'x3" slabs of redwood shipped from California to Pa via UPS. Shipping on each was in excess of $200, but was worth it. Major parts of those slabs are solid wood vanity tops in our house in Virginia. I'm using the remainder for towl racks, tp holders, and mirror frames in the bathrooms.

I've also bought walnut and cherry slabs from a guy in W Va, and the shipping was reasonable. This one of those cherry slabs, and it has not stain on it, but rather, just a coat of tung oil. It WILL be a coffee table top(live edge) one of these days.
attachment.php

I consider figured walnut, figured cherry, and curly maple to be "native exotics". From the SW you would have bocote and zircote.

Last edited:
Lets see here... I have some Cherry, Red and White Oak, Walnut, Cedar,Elm and can get Locust and Hedge. All of the Hickory got burnt up in the stove this past winter.

Dustytools,
Do you have red elm? How does it look? Is it worwhile? I have access to a 42"+ red elm log that could be milled.

Hickory? We used "character grade" hickory for flooring in our new house. It looks good, but I would have preferred wider, or at least random widths.

There are a few american domestic hardwoods that are considered somewhat exotic. Claro walnut, sycamore, osage orange, amercan holly and if you live in florida cuban mahogany are a few that come to mind. there are a few domestic soft woods that are also very desirable such as pacific yew, port orford cedar, and engleman spruce.

the list of exotics expands substantialy once you consider urban trees planted over the last hundred yaars. I have seen camphor, zalcovia, carob, lacewood, blackwood, english brown oak, japanese boxwood, chinese elm, english walnut. I am sure there are plenty more.

Then there is the aspect of making a common domestic exotic by how it is cut. Cherry is comonly available at most lumber yards but how many have 24" wide slabs of cherry?

There are a few american domestic hardwoods that are considered somewhat exotic. Claro walnut, sycamore, osage orange, amercan holly and if you live in florida cuban mahogany are a few that come to mind. there are a few domestic soft woods that are also very desirable such as pacific yew, port orford cedar, and engleman spruce.

the list of exotics expands substantialy once you consider urban trees planted over the last hundred yaars. I have seen camphor, zalcovia, carob, lacewood, blackwood, english brown oak, japanese boxwood, chinese elm, english walnut. I am sure there are plenty more.

Then there is the aspect of making a common domestic exotic by how it is cut. Cherry is comonly available at most lumber yards but how many have 24" wide slabs of cherry?
Can you tell me a bit about sycamore?

I have 2 large sycamores in my front yard that shed limbs & twigs like crazy.

Almost as bad as a hackberry.

I may lose one near my driveway, in rebuilding the driveway,we had to cut some large roots that caused the problem to start with.

Dustytools,
Do you have red elm? How does it look? Is it worwhile? I have access to a 42"+ red elm log that could be milled.

Hickory? We used "character grade" hickory for flooring in our new house. It looks good, but I would have preferred wider, or at least random widths.

Im not really sure which Elm that I have. I posted pics of it back when I milled it about about a year or so ago. It had lost all of the bark about three feet up on the base and it smelled kinda bad. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=63685&highlight=Milled+Elm

Last edited:
IMO quartersawn sycamore is just as exotic as it gets reguardless of where it comes from.

What do I need to do to have my picture visible in the post without having to open a link to it ? :confused:

Back