Our own Market place for exotic wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php
IMO quartersawn sycamore is just as exotic as it gets reguardless of where it comes from.

better?

Can you tell me a bit about sycamore?

I have 2 large sycamores in my front yard that shed limbs & twigs like crazy.

Almost as bad as a hackberry.

I may lose one near my driveway, in rebuilding the driveway,we had to cut some large roots that caused the problem to start with.

Sycamore is one of the softer hardwoods and somewhat plain when flat sawn.
But when quarter sawn it looks similar to lacewood. http://www.woodfinder.com/woods/scans/sycamore.jpg
Rob

I haven't done any of my own milling yet, but my brother in law has a couple of 75' tall sycamores he going to cutting down that will probably be my first targets for my homemade mill.

3550949244_5e3d7d4d40.jpg

Here's a 4x14" section that I got out of a tapered end section of a chestnut recently. Sanded to 100 grit and a couple coats of Watco. Wish there was a lot more of this hiding in that tree - oh well. Am thinking of making a weather station out of it since the grain reminds me of a storm...

3550949244_5e3d7d4d40.jpg

Here's a 4x14" section that I got out of a tapered end section of a chestnut recently. Sanded to 100 grit and a couple coats of Watco. Wish there was a lot more of this hiding in that tree - oh well. Am thinking of making a weather station out of it since the grain reminds me of a storm...

WOW! The chestnut that I've seen has all resembled oak or ash. My dad bought some beams cut in the early 40s and stored in a barn until around '70, and then had them cut into 3/4" for paneling. It all was straight, and mostly wormy.

I haven't done any of my own milling yet, but my brother in law has a couple of 75' tall sycamores he going to cutting down that will probably be my first targets for my homemade mill.

Try to keep the grain as close to *90 as you can , with sycamore you dont have to get but a couple degrees away from 90 to lose the rays.

Back