outdoor wood heater to heat house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend that has had one for years. (homemade)
It does work but he will admit that it has been troublesome.

Neighbor converted an indoor wood furnace he found cheap at a yard sale by enclosing it with a small metal building and ducting it into the house. He made it mobile so he just moves it to the barn for the off-season and blocks off the duct. Seems to work OK for him and he's probably not using the best wood - deadfall (mostly Ash) from his property with minimal time from cut/split/stacked to burned.

There are a few home-built on here if you can find them with the search.

I used the bbq pit to justify the saws but need a heater to justify the log skidder,lol. my house is 2000 sq ft but the way its laid out i may lose the front porch and make it a wood stove room,concrete already there just have to go 15 ft with triple wall to get above eve,been there done that, days ago.Wife aint liking this idea :D

I built one last fall. Didn't work out so well so I bought a central boiler instead. If you go ahead and attempt it make sure to have a large furnace type blower and use big enough ducting. I didn't have an extra blower and got it to blow decent heat with using my furnace blower fan, problem was I had to block off the existing ductwork to get it to blow through the outside wood furnace which rendered my oil furnace useless. Also I only used 6 inch ducts seeing how this was a trial thing and I could feed them through the basement window. Inline duct fans will not blow enough cfms so dont waste time or money on that.

I built one in 1984 and used it till 2009. It served me well. I first built a 10x10 cinder block building and new chimney. Ran ductwork and insulated , to the house and a return from the house. Used a furnace type blower with 3/4 hp motor. I started out with a sheet metal cover for the stove but lost to much heat. The next summer I used regular house brick and enclosed the stove with that. Then used a steel plate for the top and put insulation over it and another steel plate. The stove I used was a Matherley somewhat like a large Fisher wood stove only a little larger than a Papa bear model. I welded all the joints solid to make sure no smoke got in the air stream. This stove could be loaded from the standard door or top load. So the top had to be welded all the way around. I put a lot of wood through it over the years. My house was built in 1917 but I did insulate, just wish foam had been invented back then.

The stove is still in good shape. I guess with the blower moving air across it kept the steel from cracking and no rust.

I have a Central Boiler now and really enjoy the longer burn times. I work rotating 12 hr. shifts and don't have to bother about the house being cool or cold when I get home now.

Yep, if you go to my thread that Cantoo posted above you will see my set up. This is the third winter with it and it works GREAT! Granted I don't heat my house with it but I do heat my garage/shop. It's been burning non stop for about a week, most of the time I only use it here and there when I'm going to be working in there. This week I've had a lot to do in there. Right now it's about 70* in the shop. If, and that's a big if tonight, I go out and load it up around 10 tonight it will be 70* in the shop in the morning, I have nothing scheduled in the shop tomorrow so I may just let it go out. But to answer your question, yes I built it and it works great! Only concern is if the power goes out while it's loaded and I'm not around to start the generator. I "think" it will be ok as the draft shuts down in the event of loss of power.
good luck,
dave

Back