Outdoor Wood Stoves. Got one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man it looks like its worth the cost so dont get me wrong I just dont have it in the bugdet. I need to go 125 ft and i was really hoping to get it done for about half that. I know its not the best place to skimp but do you have any ideas?
Thanks

My type you have to build. for ever 100 ft you will lose about 2deg. at 0deg ground temp. $6.20 per foot. sell lots of it, just a little harder to put together.
Jack

We used to buy this type from central boiler a long time ago, they stoped making this type and we started to. They went to a foam tube for a time then now the have thermopex 10.75 a foot or so. I got other parts you mite need call me or PM me on it.

Jack

sounds fine, Its my cell phone and I should be at the barry county fair with one of are stoves... leave a messages if i dont pick up and i will call you back
Thanks Jack.

We have a Central Boiler, Classic model 400. We have had it 12 years now..never a water leak and believe me...we have burned stuff in it they say not to:buttkick:

Well worth the $$ invested.

Ours was installed with 1 inch butyl radiant floor heat hose wrapped in insulation and stuffed into 4 inch schedule 40...and yeap...we can see a heat loss but I am not about to dig it up anytime soon...we will just deal with it for now!!

Can't say enough good about the stoves...and the local guy sells them like hotcakes..

Depending on weather condition we go thru about 10 full cord a year

why couldn't a guy make that pex flex? use spray foam insulation inside 4in. tile or something. maybe make some spacers to keep lines centered and seperated inside tile while foam is sprayed in one end of tile. would have to be cheaper than 10.50 a ft.

just thinking,

matt

I know someone with the sleave type pipe & he has all kinds of heat loss in a 30' run. The ground doesn't even freeze near the line. The pex was the only option for me. Any loss in the ground is too much loss. 10.75/foot may be worth it in the long run.

Fish4Brains said:
I have been lurking for a while and looking around the internet becouse I am building my own stove. The biggest concern I have is the underground pipes. There is a dealer for global hydronics here in town and he sells pipe wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in a drain tile. I was going to do this on my own but I would like some feed back from someone using pipes insulated in this manner. Not sold on the set up but 10.00 plus a foot is not an option.
So i am looking for options
This week I will take a few of of my stove so far anf get them up for you fellas to see
Thanks Brian

Brian, I put together my own tubing. It was a pain, but I got it done for pretty cheap and I am 200ft behind my house. Menards has everything you need. 1" PEX tubing, radiant bubble wrap(around each tube), r-13 fiberglass(wrapped around both tubes together), duct tape(every 6-8 inches), 6" drain tile(check it for holes).

I will be checking heat loss this winter with thermometers installed, but I do not think I lose much heat at all.

Mike Smith

Well guys, when we installed our stove 12 years ago the only stuff that was available was thru Central Boiler...it was a foam that you laid the piping in and then buried...the guy we bought the stove from said it was "down right impossible" to keep the tubing in and heat loss was an issue.

Since we haven't had any water leaks or issues with the tubing and heat loss is miminal we haven't warranted replacing it. We only have a 4-5 degree heat loss between the stove and inside oil burner...but that could also be just gauge issues...but during the early spring I see grass sprouting over the area where the lines are buried...

Still I can't justify replacing something that works (even with the heat loss) and messing up the lawn again!!

tazz001 said:
Well guys, when we installed our stove 12 years ago the only stuff that was available was thru Central Boiler...it was a foam that you laid the piping in and then buried...the guy we bought the stove from said it was "down right impossible" to keep the tubing in and heat loss was an issue.

Since we haven't had any water leaks or issues with the tubing and heat loss is miminal we haven't warranted replacing it. We only have a 4-5 degree heat loss between the stove and inside oil burner...but that could also be just gauge issues...but during the early spring I see grass sprouting over the area where the lines are buried...

Still I can't justify replacing something that works (even with the heat loss) and messing up the lawn again!!

Very true,

a little bit more wood for a savings of 4 to 5 bucks a foot is worth it for me.
I used to use that central boiler stuff and I still do works very well.
Jack

cbrslider said:
The pipe is only 2' underground but really there wasn't a significant snow melt from heat loss. ..... That year alone I burnt approx. 10 cords of hardwoods, 1.5 ton of mine run coal, and TWO 200gallon propane tanks full of propane.

And how much did that cost compared to using the correct type of pipe?

Look into the energy it takes to melt snow. ANY snow melt is significant! ANY snow melt from pipes 2’ underground means serious heat loss.

Something in the neighborhood of 33 years ago, I worked for a company that sold commercial plumbing products. Inside sales job. Had to learn all of the products, how to spec them, how to price them. (Hey, wanna talk about water hammer arresters? Commercial toilet mounts? :D ) One of our lines was insulated pipe. Copper or PVC pipe in a PVC jacket (4” to 6”) with foam insulation in between. Not cheap, I’m sure, but I don’t remember the numbers. So the stuff has been available at least that long, if you know where to look. Sometimes it helps to break out of the homeowner mindset and look at what’s available in the commercial world.

Anyway, based on what I learned about heat loss at that gig, I’d have to say that if you are talking about bubble wrap & clay tile, you are throwing money away. Yes, even with radiant bubble wrap.

For us it is not the cost of the newer tubing...more on the cost of backhoe (if memory is correct...2 feet underground)and aggravation of tearing up the lawn again....and since this is an arborist sight...damaging the 2 blue spruce trees that the piping goes between. yeah only nasty ol spruce trees but these babies have been raised from fingerlings that my dad used to get from NYS DEC

"And how much did that cost compared to using the correct type of pipe?

Look into the energy it takes to melt snow. ANY snow melt is significant! ANY snow melt from pipes 2’ underground means serious heat loss."

I agree that it is a problem. I used a thermometer and only found a difference of 3degrees from the temp in the feed line at the boiler to the feed line as it comes into my house. So I just counted it as not that big of a loss. I just wish I could figure out exactly what else is wrong with the setup. I hate to do it all over again but looks like I'll be digging up my lines again and burying them about 5' down, inside what has not been decided yet though. Lookin for suggestions.

Ray

outdoor wood boiler seminar

Ther's an out door wood furance seminar in Norwalk,Ohio on the 3(thursday) of Aug.Iam going to go.Just to get more info on these units.A Central Boiler dealer.

cbrslider what size coil do you have in your furnace?...i have found that the coils dealers are sell don't make the btu's thet say they do...like a 16"x18" with 3 rows of 3/8" tube only makes about 68,000 btu's at 180 degress and the dealers say 139,000 btu's...so if your boiler drops to 160 that would only make around 48,000 btu's...

Back