OWB or hot water storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolaluhillbilly

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum.I have been reading it for quite some time now and there is a ton of great advice. I am looking for some opinions on my new heat system for this winter. Currently I heat with just a reg woodstove in the house,house is about 1000sq feet or so.For the most part its fine but on the real cold days ( I live in northern ontario) Just the living room and dining room stay comfortable.Anyways I aquired 5 new 700 gallon fuel tanks. I had 2 thoughts for these.One was to build a reg OWB or Run a stainless coil in the stove that i have in my shop and just heat the water then run off the stored energy. What do you all think would be the best way to go?

thanks

Hey neighbour,
I live in Nolalu too.

You might find that it takes more energy to heat the water than you might think and would increase your wood consumption. I am not a fan of OWBs but that might be the way to go as long as you have lots of wood. After all, they have quite the appetite in this climate.

Well fancy running in to someone else from our little area,lol.

At first my thoughts were towards the OWB as I have alot of wood but then after reading up on solar heat and solar sheds I thought I may be able to do a hybrid type system Where I could heat the water in Storage tanks with wood then run off the stored heat.I am not sure how long I would get off of 700 gallons.I could tie a couple tanks together for more but im not sure how efficient that would be.

Well, you have the tanks already. The coils and some tubing shouldn't break the bank. A pump might not be too expensive.

Maybe you should just give it a try for next winter and see what you think.

Latest posts

Back