OWB pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 300 feet away so I went with the largest Taco pump they have (only had two sizes when I was buying. All the pumps I have for the floor heat are Grundfos. Never had a problem with either. I do not know the exact size.

I have a Bell and gossett PL-36 on the boiler/shop loop and a taco 009 on the house loop. Have a B&G NFR-22 on the DHW tank. Also have a 007 on the boiler as a wrap around pump.

b&g 3 speed for house loop

taco 007 for greenhouse loop

b&g single speed for injector pump running heated floor.

taco is noisy and siezes up if not running for a day or 2 .

One loop has Bell and Gosset NRF 22 the other loop has the 3 speed NRF36 both have 3/4 in and 3/4 pex out. The small one feeds a 5 port manifold the big one feeds a box heater and an old school bus heater.

I may change the small one to a 3 speed as well as I'm thinking I'm not pumping the water fast enough thru my 4 ft x 4 ft old roof top heat exchanger as it cools the return water too fast.

What size would you guys go with for a 225 ft run to my house. Bell and gossett of some sort preffered. I think the nrf 22 would be too small.

What size would you guys go with for a 225 ft run to my house. Bell and gossett of some sort preffered. I think the nrf 22 would be too small.

What size hose would you be planning to use. my NRF 22 feeds two 1/2 loops approx 200ft each

I would recommend the NRF 36 which has a 40 GPM with 3/4 inch lines

My recomendation is based on nothing more than I have used both the 22 and the 36.

Next pump I will get will be the 45 so I personally know how that one performs..

Hi nx7145

Do you know what the diifferance between the PL 36 and the NRF 36 is???

What size lines do you have???

No I don't know. I would need to look up the specs. The PL-36 is 20gpm at 20feet of head. The 0011 is about the same.

I have 1 inch pex and some 3/4 inch copper.

Taco 009 for the 2 primary loops
Taco 007 for secondary loops (water to air HX's)

Only mistake I made, and one to watch out for is...if you are doing primary/secondary piping, use Taco IFC pumps (built-in check valve) to prevent ghost flow.

Isolation valve type pump flanges are a gift from above!

Okay, here goes....ghost flow is unintended flow thru a branch of a hydronic circuit. It may be a single piece of baseboard with a leaking zone valve, etc. I did my piping from the OWB this way;

Primary loop: Pump at OWB pumps continuously thru loop into the house and back.
Secondary loop: Separate loop from the primary, which hot water flows thru the hydrocoil mounted on my furnace. This loop uses a separate circ. pump (Taco 007) which is powered up with the fan on the furnace at the same time on a call for heat by the t-stat.

Okay great I understand that thought process. On your primary loop how far away are you from the boiler to the house.

That primary loop is an interesting way to bring the water to the house.

How many secondary loops do you have?

If more than one loop does each loop have its own circulater?

Length one way is around 70'. In a primary/secondary piping scheme, every "branch" would have its own circ., instead of pumping directly thru any type of HX, be it a hydrocoil, HX for domestic hot water, floor radiant, baseboard, etc. Get the book "Pumping Away" by Dan Holohan, www.heatinghelp.com. It explains the entire theory...in very easy to understand language.

I am running 2 Grunfos 15-58 3speed my run to the house is about 140ft , to the garage is about 80ft. I am just running cast pumps in the off season I just put then on low speed and keep running.

Latest posts

Back