OWB - Too efficient?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw18x

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just got the OWB fired up last week after getting it back from the manufacturer for a refab. They replaced most of the firebox that rotted out, new insulation, even a new (and bigger!) door. It's working great except for an unexpected problem...

Last year (first year I ran an OWB), I started up mid-October and ran until first week of April. In the early part of the season (and for the warm spells in between) there were plenty of long periods where the fire sat and smouldered without the blower coming on. For example, a 35 degree night followed by a 55 - 60 degree day, the OWB might not fire for 6 or 8 hours at a time during the day. Come night, I'd just pop open the door, rake a few coals, throw in some wood and I'd be good to go. Now, the OWB seems to be so efficient that it simply snuffs the fire out completely if it sits for any period of time. I guess that's a good problem to have, since it tells me there aren't any leaks, but I'm finding there are plenty of times that I just want it to smoulder, especially if I'm just trying to heat the domestic hot water. I know some people heat their hot water all year round with these things - how does that work then? How do you keep the fire from going out completely during warm periods where there's no draw on the furnace other than the occasional shower?

It's a Mahoning, out of PA. Pretty basic OWB, nothing fancy but built like a tank.

k if it was a hardy i could tell u how i keep mine going all year sorry can't help you

Could it be caused by the type, quality, quantity of wood your using?

I've been building very small fires of the evening in my OWB and noticed the couple pieces of well seasoned oak aren't burned up the next evening but the couple pieces of ash/poplar are turned to dust,,,just a thought. I cut a couple truck loads of polar last year for this very reason,,Actually, I'd like to have a couple more truck loads of the polar for burning this time of year.

My Portage and Main boiler has a strong enough blower that kicks on come heat time that even the smallest ember/hotspot left after 8-10 hours of idle time will start burning again.

You might be experiencing dewpoint. Water dripping on the inside can blot it out. I think it mostly happens at a certain temp, as they warm up though, I've seen buckets of water run down mine.

Like others have mentioned, I build small fires in mine.

Even in the summer when we want to heat up the water, I just start a small fire and the water will often times stay pretty hot for a couple days.

But this time of year, I'll build one either at night or in the morning, and usually by the late afternoon/evening its out. This keeps it from over heating the water or going out.

The other thing that helps is not completely filling the stove with wood when you do have a fire going. For whatever reason it seems to smolder better if I have it half full or less. Works great for the mild days.

By all appearances the rot was due to lack of maintenance. Rain / water / ashes were freely entering the furnace where the stack slides in, and it rotted out a hole on top the size of your fist. I also have no idea how often they added the rust inhibitor, but if I had to guess I'd say not often, the former owner didn't seem to know when I asked. To give you an idea of how bad it was, when we pulled off the top to see what was going on this summer, you could squeeze the water out of the interior insulation like a sponge. Needless to say, the first thing I did when we got the stove back was sealed every seam on top with silicone. I've also got that stack sealed nice and tight with high temp silicone and furnace cement, I have no intention of rebuilding this thing twice if I can help it.

I don't know how your OWB is supposed to work but my Central Classic will smolder for long periods of time without going out completely. I fill it every 2 days through the summer and it never goes out.

What are the settings for the stove(fan on/off temps.). If you can adjust them, in times when it will smolder and go out try lowering the differental setting so the temp wont have to drop so far thus not letting the coals go out. when its cold set it back.

I also have a Mahoning and I run it quite a bit into late spring and early summer with only heating hot water and it never went out , I'm not sure whats going on with yours , the only thing I can think of is to try leaving your crate raker in the out position so that the gasket doesn't seal and let a little air in to help keep the fire going . Mahoning is a good company and the lady that answers the phone would probably have an answer for you , if she can't give you the answer she will find someone that can . Good luck I'm sure there is a way to stop it from going out.

Talked to Mahoning today. They didn't seem surprised to hear about it, one of those comes with the territory things I guess. Their only advice was load the furnace with less wood (already covered - I'm loading 1/3 full this time of year anyways), or roll back the shaker grates just a bit. I gave the handle a little tug tonight to open the grates a touch, we'll see what happens.

Years ago we had a Yukon furnace in our home in Pennsy. It was a oil/wood combo. It burned wood on one side and or oil on the other. I was tasked with feeding and cleaning the beast. I'm getting ready to install an insert in our family room and am looking forward to getting back to firewood heat after 30+ years. I just came across this forum and found this post about your OWB. I'm unfamiliar with these and was curious why you burn in the summer. Just curious.

Thanks,
Joe

Years ago we had a Yukon furnace in our home in Pennsy. It was a oil/wood combo. It burned wood on one side and or oil on the other. I was tasked with feeding and cleaning the beast. I'm getting ready to install an insert in our family room and am looking forward to getting back to firewood heat after 30+ years. I just came across this forum and found this post about your OWB. I'm unfamiliar with these and was curious why you burn in the summer. Just curious.

Thanks,
Joe

Welcome to AS. I run my OWB in the summer for hot water. I heat 2 houses with mine and both houses have oil fired boilers with hot water coils in them. I cut the wood on my own land so the cash out of pocket is a lot less than burning oil for the hot water. It also lets me use my chainsaws more! :msp_wink:

I run mine year round for hot water. The air has to be adj during warm weather or it will go out. I adj the air by removeing or installing screws installed in the air flapper.

Back