OWB's if they ban, will they grandfather?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS-310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So when do you guys think they will ban them in the country???? Will they grandfather them in? I know they dont grandfather them in around my town. Making them take them out by July 1st (2007). (that sucks for the people that have spent 5000 to 8000 dollors on an stove).

What do you guys think about it when they ban them?

They can have my owb when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

Seriously, they should be banned in an urban/suburban environment and used exclusively in rural applications. I have had mine for 2+months and my neighbors have NO clue I have one. The closest neighbor is 100+ yards away.
A fella just on the line out of town has one and is located within 100ft of a shopping plaza, 50yrd to a senior housing building. Last year he was burning CHUNKS and this year purchaced a splitter, neatly lining up rows of split logs. Really smokes up the town some days.

It will be intresting to see the outcome.

In most areas things of this nature (public nusance/health hazard) will not be grandfathered.

They went through this in the "70's" with backyard burn pits and just a few years ago with the annual "Burning of the leaves".

Owb

Got one accross the street from me, in the past on some days it got pretty rough but since he put a taller stack on I don't hardly know it's there.

With all the cease and desist orders, do you really think they will say its OK, go ahead and fire up the old ones we workd so hard to shut down? me neither.
-Ralph

I do agree but I feel really bad for the people that have so much money in there units... Makes me think when they will tell me that I cant drive my old pickup and go racing with my leaded fuel. It makes me think of what they will do next.

why dont one of you guys invent a smoke remover that can be retrofitted to existing OWBs. you'd be rich. if you build one talk to me and I'll write up a patent for it.

Relativly few of the ordanances I read about effect the ones already installed except in very densely built up areas. If I lived in town Id be wondering about but not in the semi rural areas like I live. With all of the OWBs that are around me still not once have a heard or read about a local complaint. Maybe some of that has to do with local attiudes eh?

owb's

My only fear are the tree huggers that we just elected to congress and as this media driven, factless, so called event we like to call global warming starts to snowball, who knows what will happen in the near future. I am not too worried. No one in my town government knows I have one, nor do my neighboors. I live down a long wooded driveway. People in rural new england tend to keep to them selves, you know live and let live.

puck

owb

In our village they are talking about baning outdoor WOOD burner. They have to be very careful about the wording otherwise, it will be OK to burn coal but not wood. The town says they have to be installed at least 40ft. from any occupied residence. Has anyone ever installed one next to the house with the chimney piped into an existing one on the side of the house?

~Millman

OWB Converter

:cheers: Check out the Wood Doctor website. They make a converter which reburns smoke and creosote resulting in hardly anything being released to the atmosphere. Perhaps this might be the answer for which you are looking.

I've only had mine for two seasons so I would hate to see it happen. I would have to say that in Tennessee I am fairly safe unless the Dems in Washington get something passed. Be just like something they would do. Give you a tax break one year for installing an OWB and then ban them the next. :angry:

I don't guess an OWB being EPA approved means anything?

Last edited:
MS-310 said:
So when do you guys think they will ban them in the country???? Will they grandfather them in? I know they dont grandfather them in around my town. Making them take them out by July 1st (2007). (that sucks for the people that have spent 5000 to 8000 dollors on an stove).

I dont think they well ban them,I am a sales rep for a OWB manufactor I have talked to the people at EPA for now it is a volanter thing but In the furture it will be diffrent for now we are safe, we will be EPA approved as soon as they have a way to test them,when I talked to the EPA monday they dont no how they are going to do it as far as testing goes.

HOT SAW said:
MS-310 said:

I dont think they well ban them,I am a sales rep for a OWB manufactor I have talked to the people at EPA for now it is a volanter thing but In the furture it will be diffrent for now we are safe, we will be EPA approved as soon as they have a way to test them,when I talked to the EPA monday they dont no how they are going to do it as far as testing goes.

What rep are you?
Any ways I have talked to an CB rep about this but I still am kinda scared what they will do.. Keep us informend. I am an truste on my local goverment and I am for them for the fact of saftey and the money saving. Thanks alot.

MS-310 said:
HOT SAW said:
What rep are you?
Any ways I have talked to an CB rep about this but I still am kinda scared what they will do.. Keep us informend. I am an truste on my local goverment and I am for them for the fact of saftey and the money saving. Thanks alot.
I am a inside sales rep I work derectly for the manufactuer,OWB will be around for a long time.I am new at Arborsite so I am still trying to figue it out. OWB are the best heat in my eyes.But you have to love the outdoors to have one

Latest posts

Back