peavey/cant hook

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGC4200

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Are these tools useful enough to justify expense for cutting firewood and
cleaning up? I have been using a mattock to lift downed limbs and putting
more limbs under them to keep chain out of the dirt.

I look at it this way. Yeah, a cant hook may cost $50-60, but if you ruin 4 chains in a year from hitting dirt/rocks from not rolling the log, what have you really saved ?

Yes, there worth the money.

Welcome to AS!!! I can only speak for the cant hook......It is literally my right arm. For rolling logs onto the mill or rolling them over for limbing and bucking. Yes, it is worth it. It increases your ability to roll the big ones.

Kevin

Mattock

A mattock is similar to a pick. It has a long narrow axe blade and
long narrow hoe blade. They are useful for digging narrow ditches
and chopping out tree roots in the ground manually.

Like most tasks...

It's always easier to do the job with the right tool than improvise.

Unless you have an easier way of moving large timber around, the peavy/cant is invaluable.

I have a 4 1/2' cant I got from Bailey's, but they are also made in 5' lengths. The Peavy brand seems to be the best of the ones I've used, and seem to hold up the best over time...I've used a couple that had the hook attachment loosen up when they are old.

If you are using it for moving timber around while bucking it, use a Peavy. The cant is better for other log work as it doesn't leave a much marking on the timber (i.e., pointy tip pokes timber), so log craftsmen prefer a cant hook for the timber after they clean it.

The point on the Peavy will help in moving/leveraging just a tad more, so most folks seem to prefer it for any timber that has bark on it. The timber jack is also a good tool and will work for this purpose, but can be ackward if you only want to move something, where the timber jack is great for rolling and lifting at the same time to get the timber off the ground.

Everything you do with a log which requires moving it or positioning it will make one of these tools invaluable. It's like having a Johnson Bar for timber. Those are invaluable for moving heavy objects.

Are these tools useful enough to justify expense for cutting firewood and
cleaning up? I have been using a mattock to lift downed limbs and putting
more limbs under them to keep chain out of the dirt.

If you are handy it's not that hard or expensive to make your own.
attachment.php

Ditto on the timber jack. I had one that I used as a cant hook when necessary, and to lift logs to keep the chain above the dirt/rocks when bucking. My son has adopted the timber jack, so I get along with a cant hook for now, but some time when he isn't looking, I may get the timber jack back and he'll end up with the cant hook. (He's a lot younger than me.)

Yep a cant hook is a must have item for cutting wood, I second the Log Rite recommendation although I didn't care for the baby blue so I went with the log rite in Stihl orange. ;)

I tell you another "must have" that I didn't know I couldn't live without until a few weeks ago is a pair of pulp hooks. Not sure how I made it this long without them but I can tell you I wont go any further. :laugh:

Last edited:
As a homeowner, I would recommend the peavey. The model I purchased is strong and came with a removeable stand. Sponsors on this site sell em for a pretty fair price. You can always purchase a cheaper one, however, I understand they don't hold up. Another good reason to buy one: people think you know what you are doing when you are cuttin trees and whip this puppy out.

Back