petzel zigzag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guran

Guran

ArboristSite Operative
That Hitch hiker looks pretty neat. Not only can you attach it midline (not possible with the Zig-Zag), you can use it in a SRT system, as I understand it.
Too bad that it does not have an CE approval yet as I live in Europe..... But maybe that will come.

Guran

Guran

ArboristSite Operative
Since the Swabisch have both ends going out in the same direction, it wouldn't be suitible for the Hitch hiker. But I guess a Distel hitch or a Michoacán would work fine. Or maybe a Knut hithch!
A6706_3.jpg

Left to right: The Schwabisch, Distel and Michoacán.
Göran.

802climber

802climber

ArboristSite Operative
+1 on the Distel hitch

That petzl zigzag looked weird anyway, I was looking at the fancy full page advertisement for it, just thinking look at all those possible failure points, what a feat of engineering.........

I would stick with one that has been around for awhile if you must go mechanical.

Just my 2 cents.

TheJollyLogger

TheJollyLogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
The problem for me with the Hitch Hiker is I'm paranoid of the VT. If it will work with the Swabish or if it can be used alone.

I guess I need to learn more about it.

Play lo and slow with the vt before you give up on it, tramp. Tied right it's bulletproof and smooth as silk. What I like about it is it grabs the rope like a chinese fingertrap instead of relying on putting a kink in the rope like a conventional friction hitch. There is a reason it's so popular.

Guran

Guran

ArboristSite Operative
I've been using the RADS uptil now actually. And still do. With a Gri-Gri2 and a static 10,5 mm static access rope. A bit slow to ascend, but great when you descend.
But I'm using a set up with a Hith climber pulley/VT and a Rope Wrench more and more now. Use a Pantin and a hand ascender with that.
Would be nice to try the Hitch Hiker. I guess that the HH could replace the Hithc climber & RW.
Göran.

tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Interior ,Alaska, Copper River Valley,, Coastal Al
Ya, I think I'm going to bypass the Rope Wrench all together. . Looking at my WesSpur catalog it showed the Hitch Hiker with what looks like a Distal . And a short tether for a chest harness. I wish I had some hardwood trees in my yard so I could play with these more than 12' high. Kinda hard to do on these small white spruce.

Guran

Guran

ArboristSite Operative
Do you mean the recall? I think this is the latest update from Petzl:
Product Recall: ZIGZAG Petzl mechanical Prusik for arborists (Sku. D22) | Petzl
Pity. The ZigZag seems like a good product. Seems like it has been used the wrong way and that caused the accident.
But then again, the Hitch hiker could be a better choice since it's attachable midline and less complicated mechanically.
Think I will order it allthough it's not CE approved......
Göran.

tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Interior ,Alaska, Copper River Valley,, Coastal Al
Ya, I found an update on TreeStuff site last night. . I really like the idea of the zz . When they get it fixed I plan on getting one. But will go with the hitch hiker for now. I'm getting up a gear order and need to decide on which 7/16 thinking about Velocity, hot. And a CMI foot ascender.

Anyone have a favorite 7/16 that works best in the hitch hiker??