Phil ... Philan .... Philanth..... ughhhh ...... Good Deed Doer!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashhole

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Wasn't that the line from the Wizard of Oz? Couldn't say Philanthropist so he said Good Deed Doer.

Gave my neighbor a pickup load of wood yesterday. He asked me if I knew where he could buy some. I told him to come over and we loaded his truck full ... hickory, oak, maple and some apple for his smoker. Couldn't see him paying for wood when all I have to do is haul it up out of the forest. I have plenty cut, stacked and split along with a never-ending, self-replenishing supply. The brewskies at the end were the perfect compliment to a crisp sunny fall day in upstate NY ... quite satisfying.

Wasn't that the line from the Wizard of Oz? Couldn't say Philanthropist so he said Good Deed Doer.

Gave my neighbor a pickup load of wood yesterday. He asked me if I knew where he could buy some. I told him to come over and we loaded his truck full ... hickory, oak, maple and some apple for his smoker. Couldn't see him paying for wood when all I have to do is haul it up out of the forest. I have plenty cut, stacked and split along with a never-ending, self-replenishing supply. The brewskies at the end were the perfect compliment to a crisp sunny fall day in upstate NY ... quite satisfying.

well, good on you, but...you just may have deprived an honest firewood seller of feeding several of his kids

Instead he saved his neighbor $ so that he can spend it elsewhere and feed someone's kids. Just perspective. Don't sweat it. Ya did good. Rep coming your way.

Flashole, good way to be. I do the same for a few of my neighbors on fixed income. I don't look at it as depriving a firewood seller of food for his kids. I see it as allowing my neighbors to be able to buy dinner, instead of wood.

Ayatollah, shame on you for criticizing a good deed. Someone Should kick you in the wiener.

Flashole, good way to be. I do the same for a few of my neighbors on fixed income. I don't look at it as depriving a firewood seller of food for his kids. I see it as allowing my neighbors to be able to buy dinner, instead of wood.

Ayatollah, shame on you for criticizing a good deed. Someone Should kick you in the wiener.

Then they might inadvertently be depriving other victims of the vengeful pleasure of kicking Ayatollah in the wiener...
:buttkick:

My thread ... there will be no weiner kicking. Besides, a pickup truck load of wood is not going to starve a family. We have two lumber mills in the immediate area. The families with the mills have a pretty solid lock on the firewood sales and I'm sure they are not going to be adversely affected. Folks like me with the proper equipment fend for ourselves anyway.

It's always good to help a neighbor in need. Ya never can tell... he may not be able to afford a truckload of firewood.

Times are hard.

I remember chatting with a local fellow I'd known for years in VA, his brother drove a cartload of seasoned hardwood down the road when we had one of those 6' snowdrifts, to an elderly widder who couldn't get a firewood delivery. She was out of wood and the roads were all snowed in.

My buddy heard of it while he was plowing driveways with his tractor. He went to check on the ol' gal. Then he went home, hitched up a wagon, loaded it with firewood and drove it to her house. Carried some in and piled the rest by the back door. Didn't ask for a dime.

There ain't nothing wrong with that.

It's always good to help a neighbor in need. Ya never can tell... he may not be able to afford a truckload of firewood.

Times are hard.

I remember chatting with a local fellow I'd known for years in VA, his brother drove a cartload of seasoned hardwood down the road when we had one of those 6' snowdrifts, to an elderly widder who couldn't get a firewood delivery. She was out of wood and the roads were all snowed in.

My buddy heard of it while he was plowing driveways with his tractor. He went to check on the ol' gal. Then he went home, hitched up a wagon, loaded it with firewood and drove it to her house. Carried some in and piled the rest by the back door. Didn't ask for a dime.

There ain't nothing wrong with that.

:msp_thumbup: That happens a lot the further ya get from the big city...

My neighbors know all they need to do is ask for wood and they shall receive. Took down a tree and trimmed another for one over the summer and put the wood up in his racks. His wife has been fighting cancer so money is short for them. They bring over food from time to time so a win win for all.

Got it backwards there - you should be helping those who have a broken income.....:msp_tongue:

BTW, how did the OP come up with a screen name like Flashhole?? :laugh:

Naw, most of the folks around me with a broken income are in that position because they won't work. They complain because the government doesn't give them more.
I share with the older folks who are trying to make it on Soc Security and what little money they had saved. These folks still take care of their property and never complain or ask for anything. If you have car trouble, they always stop to help.
The others are living in Sec 8 housing and buying steak, with food stamps you and I paid for, while I'm buying cheap hamburger. They never lift a finger to help and are always asking someone to do something for them. They would rather spend eight hours stealing a $20 item from you, than work two hours for you to make the same in cash.
The only stick of wood they get from me, is the one I drop at their feet after I beat them with it.
Best,
Steve

"BTW, how did the OP come up with a screen name like Flashhole?? "

I participate in several on-line shooting forums, done it for years and flashhole is my ID on the shooting forums. I keep it for every/any forum along with the same password so I don't have to tax my brain cell to remember more than one. For those that don't know, the flash hole is the little hole that lets the primer flash through the bottom of the brass into the main powder column on a center fire cartridge. Flashhole just seemed to fit. It's nice to get notifications from forums that start out ... Dear Flashhole ...

Nice job, repped ya for it.

I suspect there may be an ulterior motive though. Will your consumption of smoked meat products be spiking in the near future? :laugh:

A need has nothing to do with being neighborly. Having a good neighbor is way better than helping the beggers.

Then they might inadvertently be depriving other victims of the vengeful pleasure of kicking Ayatollah in the wiener...
:buttkick:

Don't care who's thread it is. If ya need kicked we'll do it....

By the way, here's your pat on the back.... patpat

Good Grief.....

Try and stand up for starving, hard working firewood dealers, and you end up with a sore wiener. Plus, you have to listen to all this folksy, sugary-sweet commentary about how sweet, kind, and hapless everyone's neighbors are. Almost sounds like an episode of the Waltons meeting Andy of Mayberry. Geeeeawwwd!. Where's the vomit smilie

It was just a joke you know. But I did learn a bit from this misunderstanding. You all have much nicer neighbors than we do. We had pot-smoking rock band members on our right for a few years, and we could never tell whether they were practicing, playing, or partying, cause it all sounds the same, and carries on until the weed and beer run out. We also had another one who was in the process of a sex change operation, and they were always showing of the different stages by exiting the house without any clothes periodically. In addition, to keep us all reminded of the condition, they used to dry the undergarments on a clothesline in FRONT of the house on laundry day. That way you get to see the transition from lingerie to banana sack and everything in between. There was also a murderer...just a kid too. Fired a gun at a rival,,,,or at least he thought, while on the freeway a few hundred yards from here and took the life of a complete stranger. The kid was trouble all the time. Everyone was having trouble with stolen packages on the porches, stolen bikes, etc, and he drank and played these foul mouthed rap music discs while at home. Fortunately, half the homes on our court have been repossessed, and most of the turds had to move. I say most; not all. Some very new meat has moved in, and I'm hoping for a reprieve. I'm just getting all the second hand pot smoke out of my system

Good Neighbors Make Life Good

A need has nothing to do with being neighborly. Having a good neighbor is way better than helping the beggers.

I have been blessed with good neighbors for a long time. A couple of years ago one of mine heard me sawing away on a cold and snowy day. He does not know that I was cutting up some stuff for the NEXT year. (You guys and gals infected me with this FAD):dizzy: Anyway, he goes out and loads up his truck and when I get home from work the next day there he is, waiting at the bottom of the driveway because his truck is two wheel drive and he could not make it up to the house. No I didn’t take the wood but he got ah, ah, a jar of cough medicine for his trouble.:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back