Pictures of log splitter I built 25 years ago

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Henry and Wanda

Henry and Wanda

ArboristSite Operative
Hello,
Today is a big day for me......I've finally learned how to post pictures !!! I think the procedure changed since the last time I tried...years ago...but it seems easier now. A while back, someone posted a picture of a big round and I commented that it would be child's play for my splitter....LOL. Some of you guys wanted to see my splitter, but I didn't know how to post pics. So the 4 pics that I included are of the mean machine !!!!! I made everything I could from scratch....made the tank from sheet metal, cut the wedge point on a milling machine and did all the welding. The wedge is still holding strong after 25 years and a LOT of splitting !!!!! The splitting table can be removed and I tricked it out with a dashboard with an hour meter and a key for the electric start !!!! It's been through a few changes in the last 25 years....it started with a 8HP B&S and now has a 14.5HP B&S....the engine is bigger than needed but I couldn't pass up the great deal I got on it. I started with an 11GPM 2 stage pump and later replaced it with a 16GPM 2 stage pump. When I started to build it, I really didn't know much about splitters, especially the hydraulics part, but I bought a book on how to build a log splitter from Northern Tool (then called Northern Hydraulics) and went from there. I used that book as a basic guide and built it with changes that suited me. I also changed the gas tank to a bigger one and put on better wheels !!!! It has served me well and I am very proud of it.....just thought I would share my story with you !!!!

Henry and WandaView attachment 250836View attachment 250837View attachment 250838View attachment 250839

hazelwood

hazelwood

ArboristSite Lurker
250836d1346442585-hondurans-sambo-009-jpg

250837d1346442637-hondurans-sambo-012-jpg

250838d1346442689-hondurans-sambo-010-jpg

250839d1346442745-hondurans-sambo-011-jpg

Wow that is nice looking. Good Job!!!

Latest posts